Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but you've offered absolutely no information about your system or it's configuration.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to open a many-layer file.

How big a file? How many layers?

We have to reproduce the problem to investigate it, and you haven't given nearly enough information for anyone to reproduce it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm on a 2x3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 4GB 667 DDR2 Ram. 10.5 OSX, The situation is, it seems it's freeze on the memory consumption, so u can switch to other applications, but the responds are really slow. Even you command+opt+esc it will takes a long time to show the window to force quit the PS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like some sort of OS issue:  the Window manager, OpenGL, VM or similar.

And, again, we need more details to try and reproduce the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds similar to what is happening to me. Octo 2.6, 12GB ram, 4870, 10.5.8, with ~1800 fonts activated. It has happened several times in the few times I tried using it, and according to activity monitor it is the window manager going crazy on a single core, preventing me from doing much of anything. First was after changing the font preview size for the character palette, then it happened right after opening PS, then while I was just panning around looking at an image, then after closing an image. The first 3 or 4 times it lasted about 5 minutes, the next time it took 20 minutes. When it happened again after that I tried to force quite PS, but it took about 5 minutes to have the task manager come up, and select PS, and click the force quit button, because everything was so slow.

On my Mac Pro at home running 10.6 and mostly the same fonts this hasn't happened at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I agreed with Evil, I have CS5 on my laptop, Macbook Pro running 10.6 SL. Even the panning and zooming's not much smoother than using it on 10.5. But I definitely didn't experince any freeze/hang on PS CS5. It's probably a OS conflict?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines