• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Very Slow Liquify

Explorer ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that in Photoshop CS5, Liquify just works terribly slowly. When I click and drag to distort an image, the image gets distorted sometimes even 10 seconds after I've lifted my hand. Sometimes I have to wait 30-40 seconds for the distortions to happen before I can regain control of Photoshop.

Also, panning is a bit more choppy than in CS4, which annoys me a lot, as it was the case with CS4 compared to CS3, etc... I predict that panning in CS7 will look like a slideshow.

And another thing, when you Flick-Pan, and release the mouse, the canvas flies across the screen, and during that flying animation, in CS4, you could still zoom in and out with the keyboard. In CS5, you have to wait until the canvas has slowed down to a stop to be able to zoom. This is also a strange feature.

Adobe said CS5 will have performance improvements, and I can see filters, adjustments and brushes perform a tiny bit better, but basic things like panning, zooming and liquify got MUCH worse and less responsive, and this is not worth the tradeoff for me, since I use these features very frequently, many times a second.

I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet most of the time, and I noticed that Liquify is much faster (although still too slow for me to use it) when I use my trackpad instead of the pen.

I'm using the Photoshop CS5 trial now, and I have Photoshop CS3 and CS4 both installed on the same computer, so I can tell that CS3 ran much faster, CS4 was a bit slower and CS5 is a LOT slower. I'm using a late 2008 15 inch Unibody MacBook Pro with 9600M / 9400M graphics, 4GB RAM and 2.53 GHz CPU, and speed gets a bit better when using the 9600M.

Here are my questions:

• Has anyone else had any of these problems, especially Liquify?
  • Has anyone else used CS5 and noticed that Liquify runs just fine?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try to cure any of these problems?
  • Is it possible that this is the way Photoshop CS5 should run on my computer, due to my hardware limitations and bloated software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 158 Replies 158
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things:

-jellysquare is correct. The lag is worse with the Wacom tablet. Still the CS5 Liquify is not as "snappy" as the CS4 Liquify.

-I can also attest to the slow panning. It really gets carried away sometimes and makes me afraid to pan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually have the same problem. It goes really really slow. And it's like a pain in the ass. However it's good to hear that Adobe Employee's are trying to fix this. However I think it should of been fixed before they even launched the product, and test it themselves.

Anyways, I'm not going to complain. The rest of Photoshop CS5 is total awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues with extremely slow Liquify preview renderings in CS5. I have an Intuos4 and switching to my trackball seems to work well if the liquify brush size is relatively small. With larger brushes (700-800-900pix +) the trackball is almost just as slow as the Intuos. Seems a little faster, but nowhere near useable or "normal" like in CS4. Filesize doesn't seem to make any difference in rendering speed when using the Intuos, Liquify is super slow on both low- and high-res files.

I'm happy to hear Adobe is aware of the issue, but I use Liquify extensively and have no choice but to return to CS4 until this is fixed.

I'm running MacOS 10.5.8 on a MacPro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon with 14GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Wacom issues with CS5. I have found that zooming way out eases the issue, of course, that hurts fine tuning. This will give one faster results, especially with large moves. In light of this, it appears to be a video card issue. Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am using the trial downloaded from adobe and thankfully have not paid for the upgrade yet. CS5 is running well and seems more stable, but paths are almost invisible and liquify is unusable. Have tried saving a mesh in CS4 and applying it in CS5, but even this is slow. Have had to resort to using puppet warp to do the big stuff as using a small brush is just about managable (apart from the weird fluid animation). Just the same on smaller files - Mac is not an issue, have an 8 core nehalem with 16gb ram. Won't be buying the upgrade until I hear they have addressed this issue, don't think my colleagues will either as liquify and paths both essential tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just me or is saving meshes out of liquify now slower by a factor of TEN?

Chris, I want to add that it KILLS me that holding the option key down when invoking the Liquify feature does not bring up the last mesh, unlike almost every filter does. This alone would save me TONS of anguish unnecessarily saving a garbage mesh file just so I can apply it to the numerous layer masks associated with the layer I am liquifying.

Additionally, wouldn't it be more logical to not only remind us that "The transparency for this image cannot be modified. Applied changes may produce undesired results" but actually put a radio check box to disable transparency right there in the dialog box?

That is all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Imac i7 quad. 8gb RAM. Wacom intuos2.

I think you guys should rewrite the liquify as a normal brush in photoshop rather than as a module. This isn't the first time it lagged. It is nice to save the mesh, though, so it would have to be re-executeable.  Also, it was nice when you could hold down the shift key and it would reexecute the last liquify mesh on the image (perhaps this was photoshop 7?) It save me a lot of time applying liquify to all my masks. Perhaps we could have a liquify again command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a strong feeling that Adobe had a lot of beta testers who weren't qualified for CS-level work.

It seems many existing functions were damaged and experienced graphics folks would have been sensitive to that if nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another victim with very slow Liquify behavior in CS5 with Wacom Bamboo.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz, 6 GB.

Great Adobe is fixing this but it's been a month. How long should it take to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this about the time someone points their finger at Wacom? Or Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Wacom and Mac worked fine with CS3! Ok CS4 crashed a lot to begin with, but at least the liquify worked. Now I am using CS5 I cannot use liquify with a large brush, which I thought might be solved by using the new puppet warp - Which turns out to be no good if you want to warp any sort of complex shape as it cannot create a suitable mesh, and if it does it makes a complete mess of things. Now I am having further issues with CS5, as it can't handle running with more than a couple of large (2GB+) files open simultaneously. If I have 3 big files open, the whole program pretty much grinds to a halt on both my work and home systems - sometimes it will start working again after half an hour of threatening to crash, thankfully giving me the opportunity to save, before letting me quit, which then generates an unexpected crash report. I would go back to CS4, but since last weeks update, people are experiencing more bugs and crashes than before they updated (maybe adobe are trying to encourage us to upgrade to CS5?), so I've got no solution apart from maybe to throw in the towel and maybe take some time off. What is the point on wasting money on these "updated" gimmicky pieces of junk that have clearly only been tested by amateurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm using CS5 primarly because it is WAYYY less crashy than CS4. I STILL get random crashes from using the magnetic lasso, but CS5 seems to be able to get its stuff together after a long spinning wheel of death and not crash. Only two or three crashes in three weeks, as opposed to three or four per day, (huge hit in productivity and piece of mind) doing essentially the same thing. I do get a 10 second delay on the first save as. Weird.

As a reminder, zoom out twice in Liquify and you can use large brushes fairly lag free, losing only the close-up fine tuning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys, if you can start your computer in 64-bit mode liquify works just as it should. I had the same problem before I restarted in 64-bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it still has some problems in 64 bit as well.

The bug is in event handling, and is a tricky case that happens on some configurations and not others.

We're testing a fix for it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any idea when the fix will be ready. I pretty much can't use ps cs5 as it is. I use liquify a lot and also use the wacom tablet, so its back to cs4 for me.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No ETA yet, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are now testing out a fix.

If anyone would like to try the plug-in candidate out, post your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

We'd appreciate the feedback.

(If you do post your email address make sure to scramble it slightly to minimize the risk of getting spam from web-crawlers.
For example: "tom" at "company dot fr")

Thanks for your help.

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meredith

Love to test it out, this email is the best for me.

Thanks,

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, here's my address: sras22 [at] hotmail [dot] com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would also like to test it out.

info at hart-worx dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would like to try it too..

tommasoferrarese @ mac . com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meredith,

Thank you and please know that THIS old man needs some explanation of how to use what you are sending.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on MacBookPro

Please use gigo at hawaii-island dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer. PM sent with e-mail address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been testing the "new" liquify-plugin. It renders the end-result a lot faster without rendering the steps between-steps.

It helps a lot but it not as fast as liquify on the same machine in CS4.

The last few years I have been beta-testing for Microsoft, Blizzard Entertainment and Ubi-Soft. If there is something to test out on some machines with detailed feedback you can contact me.

Now there are all the others bugs left that need to be fixed in the OSX-Version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, please email me at "kimto at me dot com" if possible.

It saves and loads meshes very slow, aprox 4 minutes each. This is very confusing when you are in a  good working buzz and rush!

x

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines