• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Very Slow Liquify

Explorer ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that in Photoshop CS5, Liquify just works terribly slowly. When I click and drag to distort an image, the image gets distorted sometimes even 10 seconds after I've lifted my hand. Sometimes I have to wait 30-40 seconds for the distortions to happen before I can regain control of Photoshop.

Also, panning is a bit more choppy than in CS4, which annoys me a lot, as it was the case with CS4 compared to CS3, etc... I predict that panning in CS7 will look like a slideshow.

And another thing, when you Flick-Pan, and release the mouse, the canvas flies across the screen, and during that flying animation, in CS4, you could still zoom in and out with the keyboard. In CS5, you have to wait until the canvas has slowed down to a stop to be able to zoom. This is also a strange feature.

Adobe said CS5 will have performance improvements, and I can see filters, adjustments and brushes perform a tiny bit better, but basic things like panning, zooming and liquify got MUCH worse and less responsive, and this is not worth the tradeoff for me, since I use these features very frequently, many times a second.

I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet most of the time, and I noticed that Liquify is much faster (although still too slow for me to use it) when I use my trackpad instead of the pen.

I'm using the Photoshop CS5 trial now, and I have Photoshop CS3 and CS4 both installed on the same computer, so I can tell that CS3 ran much faster, CS4 was a bit slower and CS5 is a LOT slower. I'm using a late 2008 15 inch Unibody MacBook Pro with 9600M / 9400M graphics, 4GB RAM and 2.53 GHz CPU, and speed gets a bit better when using the 9600M.

Here are my questions:

• Has anyone else had any of these problems, especially Liquify?
  • Has anyone else used CS5 and noticed that Liquify runs just fine?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try to cure any of these problems?
  • Is it possible that this is the way Photoshop CS5 should run on my computer, due to my hardware limitations and bloated software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 158 Replies 158
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hopefully it ain't a $99 upgrade....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's been over two weeks since you said there'd be some info on this in "days/weeks"...

any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a suspicion that it is the 5.5 upgrade....mo money mo money mo money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your facts: 12.0.4 and 12.1 have the same fixes, and if you own 12.0.x you get 12.0.4.

no money, no money, no money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right on, but it's still a big bug. don't like having to wait for this

one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.0.4 fixes slow saves of Liquify meshes:

Keeping Photoshop Up-To-Date: http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't even tried saving the mesh. Never got that far. It just liquifies so slowly that it is pretty much unusable...

Sent wirelessly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DING DING DING DING DING AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

so CS 5.5 is now available, and we will have to pay for it...

will i really need to spend a few hundred dollars just to have a functioning liquify tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand it only fixes the time to save a mesh and not the tool itself, which isn't being addressed because they don't think it's a problem. They told me to check my machine. I'm running 12gb memory on. 3.06ghz dual core with nothing else running.

Sent wirelessly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.0.4 is a free upgrade that has the fix

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4972&fileID=4689

it appears to work (at long last)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

That's correct - as Chris explained above. Free update for CS5 users - there is no Photoshop CS5.5. This document explains further:

What is the difference between Photoshop CS5 and the version of Photoshop that comes with Creative Suite 5.5? http://phtshp.us/5_5_Faq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this could also be caused by other "slow" volumes: USB drives, flash drives, file servers, etc. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

back then i tested USB-drives on the same port and even tested an Compact-Flash-Card adopted on SATA.

while the mac filesystem was on the drives there was now slowdown.

maybe i should test the complete procedure with and without paragon ntfs installed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When comparing the same image on CS4 and CS there is marked difference between the two - being much slower and more sluggish in CS5.

This is real problem for me which affecting my work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are we there yet?

grrrr trying to work like this is maddening! it adds more time than i can afford.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not even trying. i still can't figure why it would work just fine on my

MBP...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been checking for updates daily. In the meantime had to re-install CS4 just to use the liquify tool. As a photographer and thus retoucher CS5 is actually loosing me money in the amount of time it now takes to finish just one image that requires a little liquifying. VERY dissapointing. I'm frankly shocked its taken this amount of time to fix such a seemingly major issue. Taught a class last night and couldn't even do the liquify demo.

Really looking forward to that year long promised update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got notification today that 12.0.4 (I think) will make saving meshes faster. I told hin that ain't the problem, at least not for me. The tool is too slow to be of any use. Maybe CS5.5 will help (unless that IS 12.0.4). Then I guess I am screwed.

Sent wirelessly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 12.1/CS5.5 is the same as 12.0.4 with the addition of subscription options.

The only widespread complaint about Liquify in 12.0.3 is that it is slow to save meshes. (other problems were fixed in earlier dot releases)

If you are seeing a different slowdown, then we need details, and you probably need to do some troubleshooting on your local machine (because something about it is different from everyone else's to cause the slowdown).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thew issue that started this thread had nothing to do with the meshes, and

everyone who was chiming in was complaining about how slow the liquify tool

was. this is on a 12GB, 3.06ghz iMac...i think the problem seems to be more

mac-centric than windows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there was a patch which fixed the original liquify problem, but it didn't fix the mesh. we'll see what .04 fixes.

sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded that patch, problem NOT fixed. Saving the mesh isn't at all my issue but rather the actual tool itself. From the time I make an adjustment eg lift my finger off the mouse (or pen, haven't seen any performance difference between the two) it takes on average 6 full seconds to see any result. This is for one move, so something that would have taken maybe 15 seconds in CS4 now takes several minutes. Fine tune corrections are next to impossible with that kind of wait time.

So, that said, I have all the updates on my machine, as I'm sure most of the people on this thread who are still having the same issue I'm having (not the mesh loading but the tool itself) do as well. I check for updates every day in hopes of this being resolved. I was also recently at a school with 20 machines, all fully updated. All experiencing the same issue. Running a quick google search on this problem yeilds wide spread results of others experiencing the same. This does not lead me to believe its an issue with my individual machine. I'm happy to call tech support to get it resolved, but I don't want to waste two hours if its something integral to the program that just hasn't been addressed as it appears to be (just the amount of people in this thread alone experiencing the problem points to this). I am curious though if there are any PC users on here experiencing the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem manifests the same way for me, i click and drag.. then..i....wait.... click and drag again....and....wait. The lack of responsiveness makes it near impossible to work not only because of the increased time but because I can not see the results of what I am doing live, as I click and drag, so I have to guess. I am having a terrible time getting nice smooth results.

A task that used to take me 5-10 minutes, and was quite fun too, is now tedious, frustrating, and yields a sub-standard result.

I am running a BRAND NEW MacPro desktop machine with 8GB of RAM. There is no reason i should see this behavior when working on a 2048px by 2048px image so yeah... don't tell me it's my computer power, or lack thereof.

I DO SEE SOME IMPROVEMENT IF I select a small part of the image to work on and then go into liquify, but this is by no means an acceptable long term solution.

Perhaps Adobe can take the $400 per liscence they are going to rake in for this half-upgrade, and hire some people in to solve this MAJOR issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay ... I had the problems with the liquify-tool some time ago and solved it my way. The complete re-installing process was not successful. Try to unmount every other drive then the drive you are running photoshop from. Photoshop should swap now the the main-drive only.

If you have NTFS-Drives mounted or running a NAS as iSCSI-Target try to set the filesystem to MacOS.

If you use Paragon NTFS deinstall it.

After every step you should test if the liquify-bug is still there.

Mine was gone after unmounting the NTFS-Drives (but i had Paragon NTFS installed).

Good Luck.

Hart-Worx || Photography & Retouch || http://www.hart-worx.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG unmounting one of my external drives fixed it!!!!!!!!

You have just restored the joy to my photoshop work, I am not exageratting. This bug was sucking the joy right out of my retouching work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines