• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Very Slow Liquify

Explorer ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that in Photoshop CS5, Liquify just works terribly slowly. When I click and drag to distort an image, the image gets distorted sometimes even 10 seconds after I've lifted my hand. Sometimes I have to wait 30-40 seconds for the distortions to happen before I can regain control of Photoshop.

Also, panning is a bit more choppy than in CS4, which annoys me a lot, as it was the case with CS4 compared to CS3, etc... I predict that panning in CS7 will look like a slideshow.

And another thing, when you Flick-Pan, and release the mouse, the canvas flies across the screen, and during that flying animation, in CS4, you could still zoom in and out with the keyboard. In CS5, you have to wait until the canvas has slowed down to a stop to be able to zoom. This is also a strange feature.

Adobe said CS5 will have performance improvements, and I can see filters, adjustments and brushes perform a tiny bit better, but basic things like panning, zooming and liquify got MUCH worse and less responsive, and this is not worth the tradeoff for me, since I use these features very frequently, many times a second.

I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet most of the time, and I noticed that Liquify is much faster (although still too slow for me to use it) when I use my trackpad instead of the pen.

I'm using the Photoshop CS5 trial now, and I have Photoshop CS3 and CS4 both installed on the same computer, so I can tell that CS3 ran much faster, CS4 was a bit slower and CS5 is a LOT slower. I'm using a late 2008 15 inch Unibody MacBook Pro with 9600M / 9400M graphics, 4GB RAM and 2.53 GHz CPU, and speed gets a bit better when using the 9600M.

Here are my questions:

• Has anyone else had any of these problems, especially Liquify?
  • Has anyone else used CS5 and noticed that Liquify runs just fine?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try to cure any of these problems?
  • Is it possible that this is the way Photoshop CS5 should run on my computer, due to my hardware limitations and bloated software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 158 Replies 158
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meridith,

Thank you for managing the liquify effort here.

In the course of all the work on this and other forums, it has come to my attention that some Adobe senior support tech folks don't know about Mac's  Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.app

From there you want 'repair permissions'  which can take a little while but is worth it. From that some will be repaired as it runs but there will be some that aren't. In my case I noted a LOT of Flash lines where it printed what was found and then it "should" read a slightly changed variant "and won't be repaired." The material won't save or I don't know how to select and save it but it was something like:

"--r-rw --rw-r-r-r-" and on and on with lots of r and w.  Each of the reported errors and suggested how it should be are alike.

Maybe somebody should take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meredith.

I really need that liquify plug in. Here is my email . if you could send it to me i would really appreciate it.

[email address deleted by host]

Thanks

Robbie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Meredith,

I am also having severe latency issues with my IMAC - 2.4ghz - 4gb RAM and CS5. I have my ram set for CS5 to use 3gb and am currently running in 32bit mode but is so slow I am debating falling back to CS3.

I understand you have a plugin that have helped people with the liquify tool. I have not even attempted to use this tool as I cant even get the type tool to engage in a timely manner.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

Carlton

redjelly39@yahoo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The test plugin that she posted a while back is already part of the 12.0.1 Photoshop update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris,

I cleared my cache & moved my scratch disk to another drive - CS5 seems to be

working better now

Cheers,

Carlton

http://carltonwardphoto.com/

Buy Prints @ http://carltonward.zenfolio.com/

A picture is the expression of an impression.

If the beautiful were not in us, how would we ever recognize it? - Ernst Haas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2011 Apr 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chris020494@gmail.com

the liquifying thing, doesnt show the picture at all. it only shows a grid. help me please :"{

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me the liquify tool fix? deb at delisiart dot com.

Thanks!

DD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Liquify Tool fixes are now in the latest update of 12.0.4:

Keeping Photoshop Up-To-Date:

http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

Thanks,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there be a new update coming out soon to deal with the issues created for Mac users who have upgraded to Lion?  The liquefy tool is back to running very slow.

I have checked for updates numerous times, and I'm still running the most current version and experiencing problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will there be a new update coming out soon to deal with the issues created for Mac users who have upgraded to Lion?

I'm sure Apple will be providing updates to fix the bugs introduced in Lion, but we cannot provide any details about their release schedule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry that I pre ordered CS5...maybe I should uninstall it and wait a little so adobe and their international 8000 strong work force can figure things out a little more!! COME ON!!!!

Maybe you have a long weekend ahead but I have to get my work to my clients and have to meet deadlines! So what should I do Mr Masseuse...roll over and play dead...or open each of the 200 images that are due again in CS4 just for the liquify tool?!?!?

RANT?!!?!? Why does adobe not test their products before launching it??? Or at least put enough workforce on fixing a MAJOR mistake??!?

HONESTLY!!!

If I provide my clients with  material that is not up to par I have to work day and night to correct my mistake, but not adobe because they have a polite costumer base!?!?!? who just relaxes and go back to using their old software after paying for the new one and give the adobe "gods" ????? ample time to sit down have multiple meetings and sleep on it! LIKE BP!!??

Last time I checked the polite "majority" isn't a majority at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good response, you do do good 'rant', and yes you have very valid points and yes you have made me smile.

So on that note, I'm off to enjoy the sun shine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I am sorry Bill that I didn't read the 29 posts about the problem.... maybe I got other things to do and don't care about anything but for  the software I purchased to work correctly (meaning better than previous versions!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting Bill.....or is everybody at adobe at the same BBQ?? Where is the fix??? Maybe in 18 months BILL with the new CS6!?!?

Guess nobody works over the weekend at adobe, why should they there isn't any competition....BILL is there??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES YES YES...with the fix.... it works like before (CS4) which is fine with me!!

Thanks for the quick solution!!

SO after the rant my compliments for the quick fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well after a full day working, it ran without a glitch. Loading images seems a little slower but from there on it seems much faster and more responsive.

I didn't do any real time testing or anything but it seems to me to be running like a dream.

Oh and more importantly, no freeze ups at all.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to start your computer in 64-bit mode liquify works just as it  should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plugin has worked very well for me too, and I haven't had any problems either. So far so good!

Adobe if you need more feedback, I'm happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the mesh is super slow to save the first time, even with the beta plugin. Also reapplying it can take forever. Anybody know if we can use the cs4 liquify tool with cs5?

s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meredith,

I would also like to be emailed the fix as I'm using CS5 now and Liquify is a tool I'm starting to use more often. Thank you:

[email address deleted by host]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read post 67 in this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep got it thanks Chris . Do you know when the update us out ?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meredith and Chris, the save mesh is still super slow using the beta liquify plugin. I had to go back to cs4, and am holding up upgrading my office until this is fixed. We use liquify on high res files, and reapply to masks on many images in a day. On my machine at work, which is a macpro 2.9 with 32gb of RAM it took me over 10 minutes to save a mesh on a file. In CS4, that same mesh took less than 10 seconds. Definitely a bug.

Can I use the cs4 version of liquify with cs5? Just a thought, as I really like cs5 for other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris and Meredith, I'm not a crank, and I did mention this in post 16. No interest shown then. You have some more work to do, which is difficult for me to accept. Always seems to me that Adobe is loathe to issue more than one update for bug fixes. My concern would be that if it doesn't make it in this bug fix, it won't be addressed until CS6, if at all. Since you won't email the plug-in any more, I don't know what to wish for, a speedy update, which willhave your Liquify lag fix in place, or hope that a thorough one is delayed until it includes a fix so that mesh saves don't take forever.

Let me restate my desire for Liquify to load the last used mesh when the option key is held down, as it does for most PS functions. (curves, hue/sat, g blur, unsharp etc.)

I guess I am a little "cranky" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been very patiently jumping through all the hoops suggested by Adobe techs and still have a slow, lagging CS5 that freezes several times a day ("Photoshop (not responding)") during any one of a dozen standard moves in Photoshop.

I've eradicated any CS3 plugins, validated fonts, trashed preferences and today installed and ran "Onyx" in an effort to successfully use CS5 for my graphic business. Still freezing and when working, slow to open or save  hi res files, use the blur tool, filter gallery crawls. The entire app is completely buggy, infuriating to use and made worse by Adobe techs arguing semantics with me over everything (Chris Cox may very well be "one of the good guys" as someone posted, but he needs to replace his profile pic from a monkey wrench to a thumbnail of RuPaul!!)

God forbid a company ever says "Hey, we dropped the ball. How can we make it up to you?" It's ironic that during all the criticism of BP we don't realize that most all corporations, and their employees operate the EXACT SAME WAY. Deny everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines