• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Very Slow Liquify

Explorer ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that in Photoshop CS5, Liquify just works terribly slowly. When I click and drag to distort an image, the image gets distorted sometimes even 10 seconds after I've lifted my hand. Sometimes I have to wait 30-40 seconds for the distortions to happen before I can regain control of Photoshop.

Also, panning is a bit more choppy than in CS4, which annoys me a lot, as it was the case with CS4 compared to CS3, etc... I predict that panning in CS7 will look like a slideshow.

And another thing, when you Flick-Pan, and release the mouse, the canvas flies across the screen, and during that flying animation, in CS4, you could still zoom in and out with the keyboard. In CS5, you have to wait until the canvas has slowed down to a stop to be able to zoom. This is also a strange feature.

Adobe said CS5 will have performance improvements, and I can see filters, adjustments and brushes perform a tiny bit better, but basic things like panning, zooming and liquify got MUCH worse and less responsive, and this is not worth the tradeoff for me, since I use these features very frequently, many times a second.

I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet most of the time, and I noticed that Liquify is much faster (although still too slow for me to use it) when I use my trackpad instead of the pen.

I'm using the Photoshop CS5 trial now, and I have Photoshop CS3 and CS4 both installed on the same computer, so I can tell that CS3 ran much faster, CS4 was a bit slower and CS5 is a LOT slower. I'm using a late 2008 15 inch Unibody MacBook Pro with 9600M / 9400M graphics, 4GB RAM and 2.53 GHz CPU, and speed gets a bit better when using the 9600M.

Here are my questions:

• Has anyone else had any of these problems, especially Liquify?
  • Has anyone else used CS5 and noticed that Liquify runs just fine?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try to cure any of these problems?
  • Is it possible that this is the way Photoshop CS5 should run on my computer, due to my hardware limitations and bloated software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 158 Replies 158
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elyeilde,

Are you by chance using "Paragon NTFS" as well? Any specifics about the driver you needed to unmount to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been mailing adobe several times (had worked as beta-tester for other companies) but they never fixed this bug

Hey Adobe ... Give me a free CS 5.5 Education Version.... I just got you a happy customer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I de-mounted (proper term?) my external drive and wooohooo problem solved! Now, the issue is that I would love to n

ot have to mount and dismount (better/worse term?) my archive every time I'd like to work on a new image. Is there a way to mount the drive so that it does not effect the program? Perhaps this is what was mentioned previously, but is there a simpler way of stating it so those of us that are only partially techy can understand? This is such a huge breakthrough for me. I've basically shaved hours off processing this job!

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now that we know why some people have problems and others don't - we can investigate the code and see what's going on.

Until we know why it is slowing down with external drives and such, we don't have another workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can we link this investigation with the following problem, also with external drive problems. The thread contains a method to reproduce the produce:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3121118#3121118

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that issue is not related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For me the fix worked wonderfully. Meshes save and load very quickly. Even faster then in cs4.

BUT there is a NEW PROBLEM, and even greater one, as it reflects the quality of the transformation. On the edge of the picture, there appears a 1 pixel border of something which looks like a uniformization of values in the image. This is terrible news for  us. What happens now? Are we to enlarge the after liquify image by one pixel to hide this, retouch it.... quite a terrible fix!

Please check this and let everyone know.

The troubled retoucher

Tomasz

Tomasz Kozakiewicz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... i spent a lot of time testing tonight, to get myself clear. The liquify-problem can be reproduced by installing Paragon NTFS 8. If the Paragon-NTFS-Driver is loaded into the system the problem appears.

People that need write-access to NTFS-Drives (USB-Stick / Network Filesystem with NTFS / Internal Drives with NTFS) should test out MacFuse. Maybe there is a bug in the paragon-software that could be scripted out in the Photoshop-Code, but even with a fully updated Paragon NTFS 8.0 the problem is still existing.

Side-Effect of deactiviting the Paragon NTFS-driver is a lot more writing performance to my MacOS Filesystem. (System starts faster and swapping is faster in Photoshop (used an SSD for Swapping)).

If you eject every NTFS-Drive out of the system (software-unmount is okay) the paragon-driver deactivates and you have no problems. If you mount an NTFS-Driver while liqufy is active, Photoshop freezes for a time and then the problem is back.

Maybe this helps to investigate some more.

With kindly regards,

Hartmut Nörenberg || http://www.hart-worx.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines