Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 664 Replies 664
Enthusiast ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once this mess gets started by PSCS6 I can't even write correct icons from PSCS5. But I was able to get proper icon writing back by restarting the finder after trashing the .DS_Store file. Back to using PSCS6 again, but we will see how long this lasts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok PS again started to not write icons. Closed PS and and restarted the finder. Now the icons that did not show up in the finder are all showing up, even though I did not trash the .DS_Store file.

Started PS I it is writing icons. We will see how long that will last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a case of the icons not being written, or are they being written but not being displayed?

I ask because if the icons on existing files suddenly show up after relaunching Finder, then they must have been written although you couldn't see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point that appears to be the case, but that brings up the question what is PSCS6 doing to cause this, that no other application is doing.

For those that are wondering this is a clean install of 10.8 updated to 10.8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right now i would be satisfied to hear Adobe simply say, yes, there is an issue and we are working on it......but having reviewed this thread again, I cannot find that anywhere..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using COCKTAIL as prescribed in an earlier post and if I run it about twice a week or so I have had NO issues at all.  Not sure that this solves it but it keeps it incheck or remission you might say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this time trashing the .DS_Store and relaunching the finder does not bring back missing icons.

So far finding any repeatable pattern to this madness have been unfruitful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following instruction with a file whose icon is not displayed in Finder.

Select the file in Finder and press Cmd+i, or right-click the file and pick Get Info to open an Info window for the file.

Does the missing icon show at top-left of Info window? If not, does anything show there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that, and absolutely nothing shows up where the icon should be. Not even a blank white space and the area where icons should be is not even selectable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if the tiny app Icon Cache Cleaner helps temporarily. It's available from https://discussions.apple.com/message/16210239#16210239

I've checked it and it only runs a simple shell script which cannot harm your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conroy, do you ever see the failure on your Mac?  I apologize if you already stated that somewhere here; I didn't want to go back and read all the posts in this thread again.

If not, do you have any theories why it should fail on some folks' Macs and not yours?  I sense you're a system guru on the Mac side at about the same level I'm at on the PC side and I was just wondering what your thoughts are on what might be making it happen more on some systems than apparently on others.

I agree with you that Adobe ought to be creating the app icons per the documentation, by the way.  The written word trumps insider information.  Plus the evidence points to the older Photoshop working better with providing an icon set, so it seems a no-brainer to me.  But I also have confidence in Chris Cox's abilities to see the blatantly obvious and there clearly are factors beyond what we're allowed to hear about that are driving their direction.  That said, it really seems to me that Adobe ought to include an alternate icon generation process that can be invoked in exceptional circumstances could satisfy customers and not run afoul of Apple in a big way.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> The written word trumps insider information.

Not when it comes to Apple or Microsoft.

Again, direct information is usually more up to date than their documentation.

Also, please remember that Apple is moving away from resource forks.

The CS6 icons/thumbnails work just fine for most users.  We have no idea why some users are having problems seeing icons/thumbnails in some folders, sometimes.  We'll have to wait for Apple to get back with an explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

>> The written word trumps insider information.

Not when it comes to Apple or Microsoft.

Respectfully, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. 

I honestly can't see Apple or any big company responding favorably to "you told us on a phone call to do it this way and our customers complain it doesn't work" - as compared to "it follows your written specification to the letter and our customers complain it doesn't work".  Only one of these can be documented and escalated.

But as I have said, I'm willing to believe there are unseen forces at work here, and no more needs to be justified as far as I'm concerned.  I noticed the text you underlined in my prior post.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

conroy2009 wrote:

No, I haven't suffered disappearing icons and that prevents me investigating the problem to any depth.
Perhaps an icon cache or some system file becomes corrupt when the non-compliant CS6 icons are displayed at a particular size.

I thought maybe you had a gut feeling that could send the search for the solution in a new direction.  Sometimes that happens.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope no help. It is to the point that it will probably take a reboot to clean this up.

Been trying to use PSCS6 hoping to pin it down to something specific, but in the end it just seems to come down to using PSCS6 to a certain point where it corupts the finder or system to where nothing will make the icon show.. I need to quit trying to figure this out and go back to a stable PSCS5 as It is hardly not worth the aggravation to keep trying to diagnose this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether their developer communications are as good as their published documentation seems to be at issue here.

Out of curiosity, Chris, have you actually tried writing icons in the way the documentation prescribes, instead of doing it the "Adobe-Apple insider" way?

It seems to me that one investigative approach to this problem might be to provide a patch to someone experiencing the problem to see if feeding OSX icons the documented way vs. the "Adobe knows better" way makes the problem go away.  Have you tried that?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem too. I've used Apple computers and Adobe PS for well over 13 yrs and never had this before. It seems to have started since a recent Adobe PS6 update came through, although I cant be exactly sure of this. From today though, the image (Jpeg) thumbnails are now also not being able to seen in Adobe Bridge either. To solve this I have to fire up my old version of PS3 on an old Mac and re-save my work all over again. This re-saving makes a new set of icons and thumbnails wich solvesit. BUT THIS workflow is not acceptable.

Why are the image (jpeg) icons not being viewable in the Apple finder ?

Seems like a new kind of Apple?Adobe incompatability.

Any help out there ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple still hasn't told us why their thumbnail/metadata parsing breaks sometimes for some users on some folders.

Please see previous posts in this topic about how random this is, and how to solve it by clearing Apple's preview caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, after dealing with this for a few weeks, and starting to get really really annoyed with this behavior, I understand why others on the forum are upset with you. Telling us it's Apple's fault is unacceptable. Period. This is a big lose for Adobe. Period. End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Apple's bug, and there is nothing we can do about it.  We cannot fix Apple's code.  We cannot even work around this problem until Apple tells us why their software is failing.

We'd love to solve this, but it is a bug in Apple's Finder and metadata code -- and we cannot fix that code in Apple's OS.

What you're doing is like blaming your car maker for the lack of repairs on your local road.

Photoshop is working correctly, but for a small number of users the OS is failing to read or display thumbnails correctly until the OS thumbnail caches are cleared and rebuilt.  Apple has to take responsibility for their OS behavior, and fix the bugs in their OS code.

I am sorry that you find Apple's bug unacceptable, and believe that you really should let Apple know that so that Apple will put a greater priority on fixing their bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe (Chris), that is such a poor answer on behalf of the customer service department of a major global software supplier.

Really, I would expect alot more than to just explain reasons why not to investigate customers faults with Adobe's PS product. Adobe has worked very hard for a long time to become the industry standard in this type of software. Don't let us down with an throw away answer like 'it's not our fault, ask Apple instead'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ utter B.S. deleted by admin ]

And yes - it becomes harder and harder to live with. I just received a load of files from a client that fortunately had been created in CS5 - not sure how I could have dealt with revising their entire website without the thumbnails & icons - what a pleasure to have them back.

Had used Onyx which fixed the issue for a while - but messed with my 'modified date' - but that didn't last for long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually tried running Cocktail as suggested in post #317?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded it - no time to install & try it now - do seem to remember some early posting reports of it now helping.

This seems to be the form to get to people who do examine the issues - tho with Illustrator they did deny the coping issue was their problem - and blamed 3rd party programs even tho most of the people reporting the issues didn't use 3rd party copy software - but FWIW - they did fix the problem eventually…

[ out of date and not-useful bug report form URL deleted by admin ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry - that should have been early reports of Cocktail NOT helping - but will try it.

… and fill out a bug report

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines