Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 664 Replies 664
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, What does the action of unchecking the Icon do. Does it switch off Adobe code and pass through to Apple calls? Just curious. Peter T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have said over 400 not 30,000 oops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't write icons, the file is written without icons. There is no Apple API to call for icons, it's just what you write in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Chris I don't follow what you are trying to tell me. I have unchecked to save Icons and they are now being shown, I am happy but not certain why it is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the application doesn't write icons, the OS will try to read the file and create icons.

You chose not to write icons, so the OS is creating some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that is a very workable approach until CS6 is fixed and is restore to the way CS5 wrote icons, or on the chance your right and it is an OS bug that is only triggered by CS6 writing icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the problem largely goes away when the Icon box is not checked and persists if the box is checked I am thinking that perhaps the Adobe programmer(s) by error simply reversed the logic of the check box.  Someone at Adobe could quickly check if this is so;  that would save a lot of further discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by largely goes away?

I have run CS6 for the last three to four months with the create Icon box unchecked and have not seen one indecent of this behavior.  Once the behavior is triggered by CS6 it will affect other icons written by other programs but I know of no other program that will trigger this except CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will not help Donald, as unchecking the icon box will give you (or my system anyway) 'generic' Jpeg icons at best. What we all want is the old image icon that we've always had in the past. Unchecking the icon box is a short and temporary option. It's  NOT a solution. At best it's a 'workaround'method, so we can all keep working and earning money (and continue buying Adobe and Apple products). Hopefuly Adobe an Apple can look after their customers (US) as we are looking after our own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donald, Reversing the logic. Yes I had wondered about that too... Certainly I am now getting icons with thumbnails not just generic jpg/png etc - Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - exactly what I was thinking too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI icon thread, I recently ipdated and after that I lost icons again. all but psd files. I reinstalled and reverted to 13.01 and the icons are still gone. Funny thing is that if I don't have an adobe app runningand I open, say, onone or photomatrix I get all icon except psd file when it is the other way around in adobe apps. here's a screen shot. Hope this helps! BTW - yes I have custom icons disabled.

with photoshop NOT running it

I run the following

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MBP71.0039.B0E

SMC Version (system):          1.62f6

Serial Number (system):          XXXXXXXXXXX....

Hardware UUID:          38D20E76-F11B-5635-AEF4-DD8B9DAF1C66

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:          Enabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first time in months - I'm suddenly having the problem again. Only with two files. I've not changed much (the updates, OS X updates, etc.) bbut I'm having missing icons again. Will post again if this continues - I've no idea why it would just happen out of the blue again.

Clinton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running Cocktail on my old BIg Mac Tower but then on the new imac it would not work on this system.  So now I am running OnyX and have to do it once a day or my icons disappear.  Gets irritating. Wish they would find a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could tell Apple that many Ps CS6 customers with OS X are complaining about CS6 icons not being displayed, and, until Apple fixes things, Photoshop will return to creating good icons which please the customers. Then fix CS6 so that it does create good icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have told them -- and it's really not that many.

And after checking with Apple, they re-iterated that we're doing the right thing for icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uncleotto wrote:

Show me ... where another application besides Photoshop CS6 is having the SAME issue

Just a random, idle thought, but there actually isn't any other application that does just what Photoshop does.  From something as simple as generating a LOT of icons/thumbnails because of the nature of what it does, to the size of the files being very large, to the way it does things in particular threads could be at fault.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strange doings.....if I don't get a definitive answer back from Chris this will become more mysterious than it already is....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This horse has decomposed and returned to the Earth, conroy.

Adobe hosts this site.  They can do what they want with it, and they sometimes do.

It's pretty clear we've reached the limits of what Adobe is both willing to do and actually can do, and it's probably time to move on.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have reached the limits of what they are willing to do? (we do not yet know for certian what they can do).....That is quite an amazing statement Noel......Let us just suppose that this is an adobe issue(we have n proof either way from all I have read on this thread). Are you suggesting that Adobe might not accept responsibility then for fixing it if it is their problem? If not, I think all customers who have this issue are do a refund as it is advertised as Mt. Lion compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do realize that the issue is with many versions.....my thoughts on the refund is that it seems in corporate America, the only thing that works is $$$. We do deserve at the very least more specifics on this issue than the evasiveness that we have received. I accept the fact that my technologocal expertise is far far less than most on here, but I do have common sense and something just isn't right here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a very specific context for my statement.

I really don't want to see someone as smart and helpful as Conroy banned, but continuing to post things that are being deleted - regardless of the true justice involved - invites problems, no?  There are clearly forces we can't see at work here.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, thanks! I'm finished with this thread, anyway. I'm powerless to stop my posts being erased.

Note that my posts of 10 minutes ago are gone now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to elaborate on just one incident to comon sense: Above, Chris responds to my request for specifics by stating that they await Apple's fix of the problem. I have not seen anywhere that 1) Apple accepts responsibility and 2) Such evidence exists.

If so.......it is time to put up as they say....the floor is yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

captain1944, if you go back to page one of this discussion, you will see that the problem started in May, a full two months before Mountain Lion was released. In my case, the issue went away when I installed Mountain Lion, and so far hasn't been back. This may indeed be an Apple problem at root, but I think that the solution would be easier on Adobe's end (regress the icon writing code back to however it was in CS5). Whether or not the bug is in Apple's code, Photoshop CS6 is the only application revealing it, and it is on Adobe's shoulders to keep its own customers happy, not Apple's. As long as the problem persists for some, regardless of whose code is at fault, the frustrated customers will blame the lone app with the problem before they will blame the OS which plays nicely with everyone else's icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines