Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 664 Replies 664
Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Cocktail will do any thing different than Onyx. They both delete the _DS_Store file which you can do yourself if enable show hidden files. Sure it helps for a while just the same as logging out and back in or rebooting. If you have PS writing Icons it will eventually show up again. The bad part about it when it happens is the it affect other icons as well.

The only way I have found to prevent that is to set PSCS6 to not write icons. I have had no finder icon corruption since I have done this. I can live with the finder generated icons, it is better than having no icons show up once PSCS6 corrupts the icons in the finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure that Cocktail is deleting the DS_Store file. My recommendation was to run Cocktail in its default "Pilot" mode. The DS_Store file is not part of the Pilot mode unless it is buried in the functions that are listed for Pilot. (Cocktail does have a separate function for deleting the DS_Store file, which I have not used. The Pilot mode has been sufficient in itself.) However, some users have reported that Cocktail doesn't solve the problem for them, which might be attributable to configuration differences (such as network vs. single user, etc.). I've only had the problem come up twice in many months, and both times Cocktail resolved it.

Some users are clearly more affected by the problem, which leaves me wondering if Adobe could choose to go back to the way CS5.5 and earlier handled icons, while telling Apple "we'll do it the way you say when you fix it." Seems like common sense, but there's sure to be much more to the story, both technical and political, than we'll ever hear about in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're pretty sure that the photoshop icons/thumbnails are not the cause.  But we won't know for certain until Apple tells us the nature of the bug in their code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant go back to whatever it is that CS5.5 did that worked, and still works. ("Handling file icons" is simply a term for what users see as a result, not necessarily the cause of that result.) I am assuming that restoring a process used in the previous version of Photoshop isn't asking Adobe to search for a needle in a haystack. (Of course, if the problem is known by Adobe to come up in earlier versions, this is moot. But that is not information available to this forum, and we have not seen evidence of it ourselves.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know exactly why Apple's code crashes with CS6 files.

Again, we are pretty sure that the icons/thumbnails are not the cause.

It really isn't that simple, since we're talking about a bug in Apple OS code that semi-randomly decides not to read data from image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris. These tend to become circular arguments, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like you are more or less acknowledging that it is indeed a haystack and don't know what CS5.5 is doing differently to get the desired result, in spite of Apple's bug. In other words, Adobe has been unable to identify which change or set of changes in CS6 ended up with a result different from CS5.5. (This has been going around long enough that I don't recall whether we know if anyone at Adobe has experienced or recreated the problem.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris

I believe it is fair to say that you have lost your credibility with many on here. In addition, it is now way overdue for this issue to be resolved.

Would you please provide thename and email address of an adoble member of the management team who we can turn top to discuss this matter further.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry to hear that you don't find facts and truth to be credible.

No, I will not be handing out email addresses.

And all we could do is escalate the issue with Apple - but Apple has much bigger bugs that they need to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also escalate this within Adobe, showing the forum threads that clearly show a lot of very pissed off users. But instead of handling it internally and telling us something like "we're still working on the root cause and targeting a fix" or something like that, you keep blaming Apple.

Once again, this is between you (Adobe) and Apple. I paid my $1000 or so for a Creative Suite upgrade, and it broke what I consider to be an important functionality. That is between me (the consumer) and you (Adobe).

In my mind Adobe gets very very very low scores on user satisfaction. Adobe Photoshop and the entire Creative Suite have some serious bugs. And having worked in software and hardware development, I understand some bugs will not be fixed, and that bugs happen. But some of the bugs I've seen in the Creative Suite are clearly horrible, poorly coded crap, which is not what I would expect from Adobe. As far as that goes, Photoshop gets pretty good scores from me compared to some of the other applications in the Adobe Suite, such as Dreamweaver - there complaints and threads have gone without comments from anyone at Adobe for years - literally. But I'm not sure which is worse, no response, or a response that's pretty much a big middle finger to users, telling them to take it up with Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already worked on it - and every indication is that it's an Apple bug that we can't work around until Apple tells us the nature of the bug in their code.

As much as we'd like to fix all the bugs, OS functionality is reliant on the OS code working correctly.

In this case the OS is not working correctly, and we can't fix that from the application side of things.

(and we have a LONG list of bugs in MacOS that we'd really like to see fixed)

No, this is between you and Apple.  Maybe the bug report we filed is between Adobe and Apple.

But Adobe is not responsible for the function of Apple's OS.

Why are you having such a hard time understanding that there are bugs in MacOS?  Or that Apple is the only party that can fix bugs in MacOS?  Why do you think it is insulting to hold Apple responsible for bugs in Apple's code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so now the deletion of posts begins again......apple management ids now deleting my request and you are deleting my posting of thids deletion......this is a reputable company operating in a professional way?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, guys! (And I'm addressing this to all of us.) Is this really a hill to die on? Chris may not be as forthcoming as we would like, or probably even as he would like, but his credentials are rock solid. Take a look at the names on the Photoshop splash screen. (He has been there for decades, and he has been participating in user forums the whole time.) It seems fairly clear that Chris is constrained by various Adobe policies regarding what he can say or do. He has said as much himself, and it shows in his responses to straightforward reasoning, which have curiously verged on the non sequitur. (For example, "We don't know exactly why Apple's code crashes with CS6 files" in response to the reasoning that borrowing from CS5.5 would solve the problem. We are left to infer that Adobe does not know what to borrow from CS5.5, which may or may not be correct.) It's also a pretty safe bet that the policy makers do not want to deal with a few cranky users about an obscure technical issue. I'm not happy about it either, but let's keep it civil and constructive, and recognize when an impasse has been reached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Meikle wrote:

It's also a pretty safe bet that the policy makers do not want to deal with a few cranky users about an obscure technical issue.

It's obvious, but I'll point it out anyway:  Given that this thread has grown to 9 pages, it may be a bit more important to Apple users then you give it credit for.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a hill I want to die on, but it's more than a trivial issue. This really does effect some people's work flow, including myself. And while I have nothing against Chris, and originally took the same position as you in this forum, I've come to be very annoyed with this issue.

So please don't trivialize this or say that it's only a few cranky users dealing with an obscure problem. We're not the ones to blame here. We're clients of Adobe, and we're asking for a fix, and some honest responses, and simply saying it's Apple's problem is unacceptable. The broken functionality is very useful, and helps me a lot in my work flow.

I'm all for being civil, but it is us, the users, who are asking that this be constructive. An impasse has not been reached. This is an obvious and annoying bug that should be fixed. That's all we're asking, and I think that what we are asking is entirely reasonable. And when we aren't getting satisfactory answers, we're asking for a way to escalate.

I find your insinuation that we're cranky users who refuse to let go of an obscure technical issue as annoying as Adobe's answers. It's as if asking for a fix to something that's been broken in CS6 and then getting annoyed when being stonewalled makes us cranky, and we're the bad gusy. Thumbs down on your thinking.

As for Chris and his background and reputation, I'm sure he's very talented, and very knowledgeable about Photoshop. However, the answers provided in this forum have been unacceptable. Period. This issue needs escalation. If you find it obscure and unnecessary, then don't follow the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it unacceptable to tell you the truth?  You ask for honesy, but that is all that you have gotten from us.

You are also clients of Apple, and yet you don't hold them responsible for their bugs?

Yes, this bug should be fixed - but Adobe does not have access to Apple's source code, and cannot debug Apple's code much less issue a fix for MacOS.

If this was within my power to fix, it would have already been fixed.

But we cannot fix Apple's code.

That's not stonewalling - that's reality.

You have a way to escalate this: ask Apple to fix their bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a point to raise after reading the last response sent through.

RE: this quote from Chris

Chris Cox wrote:

We still aren't sure -- but it seems like it's not the icons themselves failing, but something fails before it gets to reading the icons.

This would be much easier if Apple responded to their @%^#$% bugs."

I am interested in this because, it seems my Jpeg icons are just not being created by my PS6, as they are not viewable on any computer whether it be a Mac or PC. None of my 6 Mac's (all different ages and types and configurations) can see the Jpeg icons and none of my customers Windows machines can see them either.

Surely they just arent being created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and running Cocktail clears whatever Apple corruption is stopping them from being created.

Come back after you've run Cocktail, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repeat:

Those experiencing this strange issue should run Cocktail and report back rather than keep repeating their conjectures and speculations.

Obviously, I can't personally represent this as a 100% effective solution, but the complainers owe to the readers of this forum at least to try Cocktail first and only then report whether it worked or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Ran cocktail. No change.

BTW I do appreciate Chris' help and attention, even if we're not getting the answer we want. To be fair to the PS team, this is the only thing in PS6 we've seen that's negative. Although we noticed it straight away, and every time we use PS now.

I would be happy to report this bug to Apple, as an apple bug, if Chris or somebody here could tell us how to do that, in great detail, otherwise it's just pissing in the wind. Unless that happens I'll just wait for a fix in CS7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ll also repeat that I am not experiencing the issue myself on a lowly Intel MacBook under Snow Leopard 10.6.8. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I could possibl try. But what is 'Cocktail' and where does get one from.

If its a piece of software, I would at the same time feel VERY uncomfortable it or for that matter use any non recognised mainstream software on any of my machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good grief!

Have it your way then.  Enjoy your non-existing icons. 

For the record. Cocktail is an essential utility proven troughout the years and one without which I would not dream of running any of my Macs, and one which I run daily.  Another two that I would not consider not having available at all times are DiskWarrior and Applejack.

One wonders just what kind of routine maintenance some folks run on their Macs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dear Station_Two, thanks for your feedback.

I've actually never heard of Cocktail, DiskWarrior or Applejack, so not sure how big those names are where you live but I dont think they made it my neck of the woods. I've had a dozen very busy hard working Mac's over 15 years and never needed to 'maintain' any of them. The beauty is they just tick along nicely all on their own.

I'll wait until Adobe or Apple sort out their own problems and live with my workaround method until then.

I know I supply my customers what they expect, and so all things being equal I hope Adobe and Apple step up to the plate and supply their customers the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps  Cocktail is as "mainstream" as it gets, and your not knowing about it speaks volumes about your lack of expertise running essential, routine maintenance on your Macs.  Same goes for DiskWarrior and Applejack.

Check the Apple discussion boards once in a while.

Routine maintenace is essential.  One cannot expect not to stink if one doesn't shower daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran Cocktail - haven't used it in about 10 years!

The icons are now showing up as Photoshop icons.

I did change preferences back to having PS write the icons after Cocktail finished and I restarted.

Am not seeing an image as the icon - just the blue PS.

Sharon

```````````````````````````

sharon cooper

creative art link

creative art mix limited

[personal info removed for protection of original poster]

online:

www.creativeartlink.com

www.creativeartmix.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines