Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 664 Replies 664
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote: The file has the icons intact - sending me the file won't help. The problem is with Apple's extraction of that data to their own cache, or their display of the data from that cache.

I am not convinced that your writing of the icons has not somehow changed. Yes, I am sure Apple is not doing it right, but also you may be writing the icons a different way, since other programs seem to have no trouble...

For example: this time rebooting brought back my preview icons. But... it could be that the format etc that you use is somehow different than for CS5. Your current way of writing icons could be perfectly Apple-legal, and they clearly have a bug, but your perfectly legal icons might somehow be different from those written by CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other applications also sometimes have problems with icons on MacOS.

Again, until Apple tells us the nature of the bug in their code, we don't know exactly what could be going wrong.   For all we know they might be making a mistake with version numbers...

We're trying to work around the OS bugs, but the bug is in Apple's code and only they can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote: We're trying to work around the OS bugs, but the bug is in Apple's code and only they can fix it.

So you are saying definitively: the way CS5 and CS6 write icons to OSX is the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saying that even minor differences could trigger a bug in Apple's code - we won't know until Apple tells us what the bug in their code is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William, the icons are significantly different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps there is another app that can create the icons reliably? As a post-process after editting?

I suspect Graphic Converter batch mode will do it, but I'm not sure how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop creates the icons correctly, but the OS does not read or display them correctly.

And several users have had luck with disabling Photoshop's icons in preferences, but leaving previews (embedded thumbnails) enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote: Photoshop creates the icons correctly, but the OS does not read or display them correctly.

And several users have had luck with disabling Photoshop's icons in preferences, but leaving previews (embedded thumbnails) enabled.

Everyone, does turning off the "Windows Thumbnail" option in the icon/preview preferences fix the problem?

I realise now that I had this option turned off in my CS5.1 Photoshop... Is this why I had no trouble with CS5.1 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Windows Thumbnail solved it for me, at least for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not help me.

Onyx did briefly - then Cocktail did briefly - nothing stays fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scoop_hk wrote: Did not help me.

Onyx did briefly - then Cocktail did briefly - nothing stays fixed.

Did you try restarting your Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the course of this discussion - probably hundreds of times.

But if you mean immediately after disabling the Windows Icon - yes - as that was part of the suggested fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

In Photoshop preferences, try:

Image Previews:  Always Save

Icon:  Unchecked

Windows thumbnail:  Checked or Unchecked

No need to reboot your Mac or restart Photoshop.  Please tell us if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donald_Gudehus wrote:

William,

In Photoshop preferences, try:

Image Previews:  Always Save

Icon:  Unchecked

Windows thumbnail:  Checked or Unchecked

No need to reboot your Mac or restart Photoshop.  Please tell us if that helps.

You will be fine that way which lets the OS create the icon if you have that checked in the OS preferences. I have had Image Previews:  set to Always Save for months now with out a problem.

But if the corruption has started you will need at least to log out and then log back in to clear the icon view corruption.

I don't believe Windows thumbnail:  Checked or Unchecked has any affect on the icon view corruption in Mac OS started be CS6. It only happens when Icon is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post being a reply to one of yours, Was_DYP, does not imply that I think you're unaware of the content. The post is for any reader.

Photoshop preferences uses the term Image Previews to refer to OS X custom file icons and Windows thumbnails. The use of the word Previews can be confusing because OS X can generate another type of icon called a preview icon.

Both of the following conditions correctly result in the same non-creation of custom file icons:

Image Previews = "Never Save" (which automatically clears Icon checkbox).

Image Previews = "Always Save" and Icon checkbox cleared.

The Windows Thumbnails status is irrelevant to OS X icons. Enabling it doesn't result in extra thumbnail files, visible or hidden, even when I save to a FAT32 thumb drive so who knows why the checkbox is there?

Also, Image Previews = "Ask" never results in me being asked if I want an icon. I find it has the same effect as "Never Save", so who knows why "Ask" is provided as an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.8.3 is out. Is it fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last I heard, Apple was not able to determine the cause, even after hints from users that doing a clean OS install instead of an upgrade fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Windows Icons fixed it for me, a while back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

As I wrote you before, there are not problems at all if you save the .psd on a not-journaled file system. Tell them if they can follow this hint somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I did the clean install OS and for a while, that solved the problem. Now the problem has returned. If I log out and log back in, it usually restores the missing icons. Sometimes a simple force quit of the finder will also restore the greyed out icons, but not every time. I believe this to be a Mountain Lion issue, as you have stated. Wish Apple would get on the stick and resolve this, but it takes them forever to deal with things like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

enigma51564 wrote:

I believe this to be a Mountain Lion issue, as you have stated.

The problem that's discussed in this thread is evident on Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion systems.

The problem is one very specific problem. There are other problems with icons in OS X which some people wrongly mistake for the problem that's discussed in this thread.

greyed out icons

This thread is not about about grayed-out icons. It is about icons not being displayed at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conroy:

I stand corrected. What I should have said was that this is a MacOS issue, which I do believe Chris has stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, because the icons are showing up fine if the filesystem is not journaled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file system is journaled, and with Windows Icon creation off, I don't have problems any more.

Your mileage may differ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The windows icon creation off, did the trick for me as well, for a couple of days. I don't know, but without the journaling it just works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines