Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Explorer ,
May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the thumbnails when it is supposed to.  I have no idea why that would be worse in some applications than others - but the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being not a very good techie, I called supprt as I could not figure this problem out. In my case( Mountain Lion and CS6) my thumbnails showed in my picture folder, BUT, when I tried to upload a photo to something like facebook, when the picture folder opened, the thumnail was NOT there...just the file name.

What support eventually did with me was to create a new user and open up CS^ inthat. Then, they had me open up CS^ on my own account, holding down the shift key and it worked. Then, they had me reboot and open CS6 the normal way and it worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being not a very good techie, I called supprt as I could not figure this problem out. In my case( Mountain Lion and CS6) my thumbnails showed in my picture folder, BUT, when I tried to upload a photo to something like facebook, when the picture folder opened, the thumnail was NOT there...just the file name.

What support eventually did with me was to create a new user and open up CS^ inthat. Then, they had me open up CS^ on my own account, holding down the shift key and it worked. Then, they had me reboot and open CS6 the normal way and it worked.

This didn't help me....  I'm desperately trying to find a cure for this strange CS6 preview problem.  Funny how I can create a file in PS CS 6 and not see the preview, but if I open that same file in PS CS 5.5 and save it to the same folder, the preview icon magically appears ????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icons Photoshop CS6 is saving are exactly what Apple asked us to save.

Whether their developer communications are the same as their documentation is another matter.

The icons work perfectly for most users, but somehow MacOS is failing to draw or update icons on some systems.  As far as has been determined, this is due to some problem with MacOS itself (since Photoshop always writes the same icon data).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all I can say is that I first called apple about this. They explanined hat since it was no problem in cs5, and since they have no changes to the system, it is obviously a problem at adobe's end. Just reporting.

Then I called adobe and after an hour of working with the rep, making a new user, then going back to old user and starting with the shift key down(not giving all the details as  I do not remember them, it was solved. I can provide the case # if interested. Itis clearly an adobe problem.

I would suggest that adobe get in touch with apple and work it out...we really do not care whose problem it is butit should be resolved without having to do what I did.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, you have said numerous times that you are only following Apple's request that you make completely inadequate icons for Retina displays or any other displays in preparation for Retina displays. I believe you! I believe you received certain instructions and have implemented them.

However, common sense screams that here was a communication breakdown or error regarding the icons. Have you or any colleague actually queried Apple about the completely illogical request which runs counter to their software development guidelines? Would you jump of a cliff if someone from Apple requested it, or would you query the request?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this seems like a lawsuit between a contractor and an architecht when all the customer wants is the issue solved......the two of you HAVE to get together and resolve it...period.This is a no brainer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether their developer communications are as good as their published documentation seems to be at issue here.

Out of curiosity, Chris, have you actually tried writing icons in the way the documentation prescribes, instead of doing it the "Adobe-Apple insider" way?

It seems to me that one investigative approach to this problem might be to provide a patch to someone experiencing the problem to see if feeding OSX icons the documented way vs. the "Adobe knows better" way makes the problem go away.  Have you tried that?

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> all I can say is that I first called apple about this.

And there is no way you talked to a developer, so you got Apple's usual "it's everyone else's fault" story from their support line.

The icons work just fine for most people.

They even work fine in some directories, and fail in a few directories for some users.

They work after users clear the OS thumbnail cache.

It is highly unlikely that this is an Adobe problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Have you or any colleague actually queried Apple about the completely illogical request which runs counter to their software development guidelines?

Yes, we checked with Apple, more than a few times.  Apple documentation is not always up to date (or complete, or accurate).

But since we can't reproduce any problem with icons/thumbnails - we can't test whether changing the code would help or not.  We don't know what is different about the systems of the users having problems.  But logically it isn't Photoshop causing the problem, but something about the OS and the thumb/icon cache.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those interested...I just did the CS6 update and lo and behold my problem with the icons re appeared(after it have veen solved).

So......I closed CS6 and opened it again with the shift key held down, and lo and behold it solved the problem again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgrarde to CS6 Master Collection. I am having the same problem with missing thumbnails

If I re-open the file in my old CS5, I can save and get the thumbnail back. What has changed?

P.S. I haven't changed or upgraded anything on my Mac

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following these forums off and on for years...it seems the majority of responses are aimed at blaming someone else rather than trying to solve the problem...which in this case might oinvolve putting an apple and adobe tech in the same room...I realize this cots money, but the bottome line is...SOLVE the problem....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captain 1944, I have just done an update on my CS6 and, if I read you right, all I need to do to get my thumbnails back is to reopen CS6 with the shift key down? Is it that simple? What does that actually do and can it cause any harm? Sorry for all the questions but this problem is driving me nuts!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rixie1 wrote:

I have recently upgrarde to CS6 Master Collection. I am having the same problem with missing thumbnails

If I re-open the file in my old CS5, I can save and get the thumbnail back. What has changed?

P.S. I haven't changed or upgraded anything on my Mac

By the way, just in case, do ensure that you have icon generation enabled in CS6 Preferences:Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 17.36.35.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rixie1 wrote:

... reopen CS6 with the shift key down? Is it that simple? What does that actually do ...

Holding down Shift key when launching Photoshop will raise a prompt where you can tell Photoshop whether to load optional and third-party plug-ins.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's that "Windows Thumbnail" setting say if you hover over it, Conroy?  That setting does not exist on the PC version. 

I looked it up in the Help documentation, and the description of the setting is less descriptive than the name of the setting.

Assuming it's a Windows compatibility setting (for what? saving on a Windows server? saving in a Windows VM?), given the current evolution of Windows thumbnail handling, that setting doesn't seems to make much sense.

Or am I completely misinterpreting the use of the word "Windows" here?

FilePrefs.jpg

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

What's that "Windows Thumbnail" setting say if you hover over it, Conroy?  That setting does not exist on the PC version. 

Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 19.09.05.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that's adding an entry to a hidden Thumbs.db file, that's pretty much only meaningful in XP.   The newer versions do it an entirely different way, with a central database.  And plenty of Windows users claim there are no thumbnails for PSD files, so I guess it's not working.

Why would only a Mac offer the option to save a Windows thumbnail? 

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Why would only a Mac offer the option to save a Windows thumbnail? 

The Mac version of Ps can attach two independant icon/thumbnails to a file - a Mac icon and Windows thumbnail. Hence the two checkboxes which are absent from the Windows version.

The Windows version can attach a Windows thumbnail only, so it needs only the Image Previews control which you have set to "Never Save".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I set Image Previews to Never Save because even if it did anything useful (which I doubt) it would be redundant for me, as I have codecs installed that generate proper, modern thumbnails and previews.  Before I got the codec pack I never saw PSD thumbnails, and I didn't always have my Photoshop settings as you see them.

A Windows thumbnail cannot be "attached to a file".  It just doesn't work that way.  A thumbnail can be generated (by a codec) into a central database, and it is associated with the file by Windows Explorer in Windows Explorer windows and File Open/Save dialogs.

What scenario can we envision in which a "Windows thumbnails attached to a file" by a Mac Photoshop user would ever be used/useful?  Maybe I'm just being particularly dense today, but I'd suggest you could likely save some miniscule resources/time by turning that particular setting off.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know how or where Windows stores file thumbnails, but my point was that the Windows version of Ps cannot create a Mac icon so it has no need for the additional checkboxes of the Mac version.

I have been keeping the Windows thumbnail box checked with the naive assumption that a thumbnail would be created which will be visible if a file is transferred to a Windows system in future. If it's not resulting in Windows thumbnails while I'm using Apple HFS+ file system then I don't think it will matter whether the box is checked or cleared. If the procedures that create Windows thumbnails are not being run, anyway, then I can't see that enabled checkbox resulting in much waste of time and resources.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

conroy2009 wrote:

I have been keeping the Windows thumbnail box checked with the naive assumption that a thumbnail would be created which will be visible if a file is transferred to a Windows system in future.

No Windows system is going to read specific data from the PSD file and generate an Explorer thumbnail, not XP, not Vista, 7, or 8.  Further, as far as I know it never worked that way.  And anything put into the mysterious Mac "resource forks" is unavailable to Windows as far as I know.

The Image Preview thumbnail that showed up at the bottom of File - Open dialogs when using Photoshop CS5 and earlier presumably could have been read from within the PSD file somewhere (for quicker display?), but that feature's gone now in Photoshop CS6, and computers are hugely quick nowadays... 

As an experiment I just saved a file from Photoshop CS6 with the "Never Save" setting as shown above then did File - Open in Photoshop CS5.  It generated a thumbnail preview at the bottom of the File - Open dialog instantly.

PreviewShowing.jpg

Could there be some Bridge interaction I'm not thinking about here? I do know it keeps its previews in a cache, but maybe it tries to pull thumbnails from within PSD files for quicker display?  I don't use Bridge except for occasional experiments to support my participation here on the forum.

Forgive me for continuing to wonder what that setting could possibly be useful for.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

conroy2009 wrote:

I have been keeping the Windows thumbnail box checked with the naive assumption that a thumbnail would be created which will be visible if a file is transferred to a Windows system in future.

No Windows system is going to read specific data from the PSD file and generate an Explorer thumbnail, not XP, not Vista, 7, or 8.  Further, as far as I know it never worked that way.

I never thought that it would. My naive assumption was that Windows thumbnails are attached to files at the time of Photoshop saving a file, in a similar way to Mac icons being attached in a resource fork or extended attribute of a file.

Forgive me for continuing to wonder what that setting could possibly be useful for.

-Noel

A little look in Wikipedia enlightened me to Thumbs.db.

A Mac user could sometimes be saving some files to Windows formatted volumes, say FAT32, and some to Mac formatted volumes, say HFS+, and have separate requirements for each with regard to icons/thumbnails. They may want to attach icons to files in the HFS+ volume but not want to create Thumbs.db files in directories of the FAT32 volume.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I've never, ever had that box checked, and no Windows user has ever complained about not being able to preview one of my images.

My speculation is that this is a legacy setting from the old days when Macintosh previews were in the Mac-specific "PICT" format.

I cannot imagine why that would be needed today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

... My speculation is that this is a legacy setting from the old days when Macintosh previews were in the Mac-specific "PICT" format...

Why do you imagine that a switch labelled as "Windows Thumbnail" would be for the old Mac PICT files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been in the same room with Apple - and we're doing exactly what they asked us to do.

All the voodoo "solutions" here point to the fact that this is just a bug in Apple's Finder or metadata code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry Chris but I find your responses to be evasive and not constructive...there are many people as you can see, many far more knowledgeable than I, who believe it is an adobe issue. When I suggested get in the same room..I mean NOW...get in the same room now and fix this problem rather than spend so much time trying to convince everyone that you are right and everyone else is wrong...

and to answew rixie's question..yes...if you open CS^ with shift key down you will get a windoe saying it will load without plugins. Do this...work a photo then close it down. Now reopen CS6 and at least for me it resolved the problem.....too bad those far more knowedgeable than me could not have offered this as at least a possible solution

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem.  If I create, or edit and save, a file with Photoshop cs6 on Lion or Mountain Lion and then view it on my older system with Tiger (OS X 10.4.11) the thumbnail icons are not visible.  I tried opening cs6 with the shift key down in order to open without plugins, but the icons were still not visible.  My only solution to make the icons visible on my Tiger system is to resave with cs2.  I know that cs5 and cs6 save the jpeg files in a different format than does cs2.  Maybe this is the root of the problem.  Apple and Adobe need to sit down together and solve the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some additional information about the invisible thumbnail icons:

1)  Sometimes, the Photoshop files created with cs6 on my Mountain Lion system, do actually display their icons when copied to my Tiger system.  It seems to be less than 50% of the time.

2)  Sometimes, files created with cs2 on my Tiger system and then simply copied to my Lion system, do NOT display their icons when viewed on the Tiger system in a shared mode setup.  The icons do show up when viewed on the Lion system.  This behavior is very strange.  Sitting at one monitor I see the icon, but then going to the other monitor it is invisible!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not an OS issue, i use "macpro" and "lion", i have the same problem, it's Adobe issue.

try this:

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 1.42.09 PM.png

in the preferences window, file handling tab, uncheck (icon), and you'll have the preview back!!!

Strange!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

qre you serious?? That is it???? Chris...any thoughts on this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started this discussion long, long ago. The 'problem' just eventually 'fixed itself' for me. I never tried saving as a Windows thumbnail, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, I suppose.

Good luck to all...

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safwan59 wrote:

it's not an OS issue, i use "macpro" and "lion", i have the same problem, it's Adobe issue.

try this:

in the preferences window, file handling tab, uncheck (icon), and you'll have the preview back!!!

Strange!

This whole thread is about icons not showing in finder, open and save windows and in on the top bar of the document. When you say preview what are you even taking about.

Unchecking Icon gives you a generic icon, not an icon of the image or preview if that is what your talking about.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@uhanepono,

The blank preview of .psd files within Photoshop's open dialogue box (and any other app) is an OS X problem. Previews of .psd files worked just fine up through Tiger, 10.4.x, and it's been screwed up since Leopard, 10.5.x. I've reported it more than once at Apple's bug reporting site but it remains broken.

@Safwan59

Your solution does indeed still allow OS X to create a desktop icon, but not for all formats. All .psd or .psb files get no icon at all. The "Icon" check box must be on to generate any type of icon for these files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as per Safwan59, unchecking  Prefs>File Saving Options >Image Previews> Icon worked for me.

CS6, 10.8.4  PSD files saved with and without max compatibility were not showing icons in finder, uncheck Icon preview and the Icon appeared. hmmm..

2 options:

a. saving with the icon preview pref off and maximum compatibility - creates a finder icon and a preview

b. saving with the icon preview pref off and no maximum compatibility - creates the finder icon only.

reference_1252.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a followup to the workaround by unchecking "Icon" in the prefs.

the problem becomes even more weird. The workaround above works consistently with this one computer, so I wonder what exactly the pref is changing.... here's the big but.

But.. I can also save a finder icon successfully with the "Icon" checked, if I turn off DragThing. But if DragThing is on the icon is gone. Ok, so you'd then assume that DragThing is causing the file to be saved wrong. Nope, if I restart the icon appears, and if I view the file without the visible icon from another computer ... the icon does show.

So, DragThing is somehow causing the icon to not be visible until the computer is restarted? wrong again maybe.. because I tested the same setup on a slightly different MacPro with DragThing and I don't have a problem. Both were using 10.8.4 / 13.0.5, the problem computer was a MP 5,1 and the one that didn't have the problem was an MP 3,1 same OS and version of PS.

1. What does the "Icon" pref do

2. For anyone else having this problem, have you tried turning off all other apps while saving?

the answer is..... no answer.   But I'm leaning towards this not being an Adobe issue, especially if a restart can make the icon reappear, and the icon is viewable immediately on a networked computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not that PS6 does not write the icon as you have discovered. It is the process of writing the icon that PS6 somehow corrupts the OS's ability to display icons and not just PS6 created icons. But PS6 and only PS6 writing icons starts this corruption.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DYP

If we assume that the file is correct but somehow messed around with informing the finder, then it would seem that if I perform a finder duplicate  of that file (allowing the finder to create the file not PS) then it would show the icon, but it doesn't.

Another but.... if I turn off DragThing and do a finder duplicate of the same file that previously didn't show an icon ... magic! the icon appears.  There's something else in the mix.

Do you have a system where you can consistently create PSD files without visible icons?  have you tried saving files with all other apps turned off?

regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I uncheck "Icon" in the preferences of CS6 I can see the icon on that

computer (MacPro OS X 10.8.4). But the icon is not visible on a networked

computer (Mac PPC, OS X 1.4); I then have to resave the files with an

earlier version of Photoshop to see them.

Donald

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donald

If possible could you try keeping the "icon" checked and saving from CS6 with all other applications off, browsers, utilities, everything.

>OS X 1.4

was that one of the early coal-fired operating systems?  : )

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be able to try that in about a week when I have access to the systems.

Donald

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris / Adobe -

within the Prefs > File Saving Options:  what happens when the "Icon" is checked or unchecked?

and why would an icon appear as a result of unchecking, if as the pref setting seems to imply that an icon is not being saved?

thanks

j

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

What part of the process of writing the icon that PS6 corrupts the OS's ability to display icons and not just PS6 created icons do you not understand.

all of it, that's why I asked the question...

If PS6 disables the writing of the icon and the file is saved without maximum compatibility and therefore doesn't contain a composite layer/preview, why is there an icon visible with the write "icon" preview turned off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icons are provided by the OS. The OS will use the background layer for PSD files saved without maximum compatibility.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DYP

My question was what does turning off "Icon" do?

There are 2 choices in the prefs: "Icon" and "Windows Thumbnail"

If I disable "Icon", then an icon that showing the composite image is visible in the finder

If I disable both "Icon" and "Windows Thumbnail" then I see an icon that uses the background layer.

So, my original question still remains, what does turning off "Icon" do?

.... because, that operation appears to be causing my local mac to see the correct icons.

and with "Icon" checked, only the networked macs can see the icon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here are the three results of messing with those pesky preview prefs

scenario 1 -

"Icon" off

"Windows Thumbnail" on

correct composite icon

scenario 2 -

"Icon" off

"Windows Thumbnail" off

background layer icon

scenario 3 -

"Icon" on

"Windows Thumbnail" off

correct composite icon

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remember that this being a bug (PS6 or Apple) and is somewhat random as to when it will occur. I could sometimes go through saving over 30 images before it would occur. But with your scenario 3 - it would always occur at some point. With your scenario 1 or 2 the icon display corruption never occurs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Just remember that this being a bug (PS6 or Apple) and is somewhat random as to when it will occur.

Usually the randomness is added by us, turning something on, opening a different app etc. In general using exactly the same setup, it should be consistent, but limiting those variables is not an easy task in a production setup. I can test this with 3 computers and only one has the problem. That is why I would think this is specific to the setup of this computer and thought that the counterintuitive action of turning off "Icon"  as a fix for the problem was of interest. But, it is a problem that other people are seeing, so how this computer is setup must have something in similar to the others.

I would still like to know a little more detail about the "Icon" and the "Windows Thumbnail" options.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The randomness is mostly due to the OS bugs that cause the icons to fail to appear in some folders, on some systems, sometimes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always been curious too about different machines displaying different results using exactly the same OS.  My 11" MacBook Air that I travel with never had any of the problems my MacPro 3.1 had.  Both running 10.8.4.  I sort of remember the problem being more acute when I was transferring files from one hard drive to the other.  Either the icon was just white showing only the name of the file or it was pixelated in such a way that you couldn't make out the image because the resolution was too low.  Used to frustrate the hell out of me. When I traveled to Asia with my MBA the problem never resurfaced until I got home and transferred the files back to the MBP 3.1.  Now that everything has been transferred and cleaned up, it's al pretty stable, I seldom see an icon problem. Matter of fact it's been weeks if not months since I've seen this issue.  When it does show up, a simple restart fixes the icons.  It's a mystery to me, but a problem that I've learned to live with since it seldom happens, but if I was dealing with images every day and had to constantly restart my machine, I'd be frustrated and upset.  The fact that a restart fixes the issue and the problem shows up differently on different CPU's, makes me think it some type of OS and firmware bug, not something with CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Chris

Since we can mess around with the icon settings and somehow force them to be visible, what makes the PS icons different?

And, why would turning off Icon in the prefs create a composite icon that is visible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a better way of phrasing this is that there seems to be a way to make a PS icon that plays better with the OS. At least that seems to be true with checking and unchecking the icons. So... why not just make an icon that works better?

The answer is probably that somethings work for some people and not for others....

So.... if everyone here who has this problem unchecks the Icon box and it works, would that be of help in fixing the problem? Or at least is a work around for the OS problems

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a bit of research on the other redundant-ant PS forum, it appears that this line of thought was already addressed.

regardless... the icon problem is still a problem.

-

Re: Missing icons from Photoshop CS6, Feb 20, 2013 2:49 PM

Here is what fixed the problem for me:

Go to Photoshop/Preferences/File Handling

Under "File Saving Options/Image Prefiews:"

Select: Always Save

Check ONLY on "Windows Thumbnail". Do NOT check "Icon".

The Adobe people may have unintentionally reversed the logic in their software.

comment

good answer!

• Chris Cox (Sr. Computer Scientist) 5 months agoNope - otherwise it would be broken for everyone.

Also, thumbnails and icons are different things.
    Thumbnails are inside the file, icons are resources specific to MacOS.

But that might indicate that the MacOS bug has something to do with their resource/icon handling.
  • eric white 5 months agoyep - all I can say is that by turning OFF the icon checkbox fixed the problem on my Mac... and until the problem is officially resolved by Apple or whoever chooses to fix the issue, at least I have a work-around that works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not know the exact nature of the MacOS bug that sometimes causes icons to not show up.

We have talked to Apple about this, and done everything we can to comply with their guidelines and avoid their known issues (ie: not writing resource thumbnails at all in Photoshop CC).

There's not much else we can do about this MacOS bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Chris -

>(ie: not writing resource thumbnails at all in Photoshop CC).

is this the same as turning off "Icon" in CS6 prefs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While never presuming to answer for Chris Cox, I believe he means not writing icons to the Resource Fork of a Macintosh file, not forgoing the generation of icons.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through my preferences today on my Mac CS6 PS to see what my settngs are for icons. Both the icon boxes are checked, the icon and Windows thumbnail.  Looking at preferences descriptions and set-ups on Adobe's site, it describes the differences between the 2.  It clearly states that the Window Thumbnail option is so your files are compatible with Window PC display.  The Icon box is so icon information is stored with the file. While the icons might still show should you choose not to check the icon box (most likely to to the OS saving the image). Moreover, Adobe states that if you choose to uncheck the box, any icon info will be lost should one copy a file over to another hard drive. Maybe why so many of my files were blank when I got back to he US as many were copied numerous times from drive to drive. Just the same, there is no logical expalnation for some of the problems I encountered, especially the low resolution pixelated icon images.

For the record, I have both boxes now checked and my icons are working fine.  Maybe unchecking the box works as a solution of for you or some others, but as Chris said,  it's not a problem for the vast majority of users, at least I can speak for myself. I'm leaving both boxes checked so I have maximum compatibility when transferring files or sending one to be opened on a Window machine.

It's been so long since the icon problem raised it's head,  I wonder when and if it'll show up again?

Just thought I'd point out the issue should others choose to uncheck the icon box on recommendation here.

Sorry to hear there are some still having problems.  I certainly did my fair share of "WTF's" when it happened. It was a real hassle, especially when trying to show portfolio images to clients and others. I suppose it will happen again at some point. LOL

Keeping my fingers crossed 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks MarshGuy

After a bit of messing around I too believe this is an OS thing and I appreciate Chris' patience!

I tossed a bunch of old apps, plists, removed a bunch of Cloud file sharing products we were testing, used Onyx to cleanse the soul of my Mac. And the problem has disappeared for the moment....  Sorry that I wasn't diligent to test on each change and report what works and what doesn't,  but I just needed to get this back up and running ASAP.

>Keeping my fingers crossed 🙂

me too!

best regards.

j

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have all been there and done that.

Don't worry it will be back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but for this brief moment in time, I am at peace with this computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of interest, did anyone having the "invisible icon" problem notice that it started after they had created and saved a new document in Ps, as opposed to opening an existing image/file and saving it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it seems to happen when I open and save existing files, as opposed to newly created ones.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grampus45 wrote:

As a matter of interest, did anyone having the "invisible icon" problem notice that it started after they had created and saved a new document in Ps, as opposed to opening an existing image/file and saving it?

No it was pretty ramdom. You could never tell when having PS6 creating custom icons would start this problem.

And thanks for the info on reinstalling the OS. I didn't think that would help given that installing PS6 didn't change anything with the OS, and PS6 would still be causing this problem in the creation of custom icons.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

grampus45 wrote:

No it was pretty ramdom. You could never tell when having PS6 creating custom icons would start this problem.

Well, that blows that hypothesis.  Thanks for the quick feedback.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there in lies the frustration, so many focus on the icons themselves when I have never seen the icons themselves cause this problem. I have only ever seen this problem created by the custom icon creation process of PS6, but it is so random that it is hard to pin down. If you read all of posts currently in this thread or happened to have read the hundred or so that have been deleted you would see all the things that have been tried. Some work for a while but ultimately if the custom icon creation process of PS6 is enabled this problem will return.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but ultimately if the custom icon creation process of PS6 is enabled this problem will return.

Definitely not trying to play devil's advocate here, but I once again have to disagree. Such comments state that PS CS6 is the cause, as long as you have its icon creation turned on in its preferences.

As I noted just a dozen or so posts ago, we have created thousands of images with PS CS6 with the custom icon creation on in both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion. It works all the time, every time since reinstalling the OS. Doesn't matter if it starts out with an existing file, doing a Save As to a new file, or creating a new blank canvas from within PS.

To blame PS CS6 would indicate a repeatable bug pretty much everyone should be encountering. That's not happening. It is very frustrating for those who can't get the issue to go away, but I can't see how a blanket guilty charge towards CS6 is correct.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good that so far reinstalling the OS has worked for you. But reinstalling the OS does not work for everybody as in post 505.

Again I challenge you or anyone else to name one other piece of software that gets this started. For as long as this post has gone on know one has named another piece of software that starts this problem.

So that leaves PS CS6 and only PS CS6 as the starter of this problem whether it exposes a bug in the OS code or not, not one other software creating custom icons has been named as a starter of this problem.

As for the amount of people suffering from this. I am sure I have asked a least over 50 people, none of them said they post here, and I would say half have said they encountered this problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again I challenge you or anyone else to name one other piece of software that gets this started.

Oh, it's causing something. Trouble is, no one knows what that is. Not us, Adobe, or Apple.

So that leaves PS CS6 and only PS CS6 as the starter of this problem whether it exposes a bug in the OS code or not, not one other software creating custom icons has been named as a starter of this problem.

Yes, but why? You may have already given this a look, but I installed the OS from scratch and applied all updates. Installed the CS6 Master Collection and its updates. Made a checksum log of the install. Reinstalled the OS and its updates and created a new checksum log, having the software compare the two states for changes. See this text file:

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/changes.zip

Chris looked it over and had these comments:

Interesting that ColorSync is creating temporary profiles on your system: /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/CG243W-000015C3-0000-2090-0000-0 00070C82400.icc

Do you have a display calibrator that changes the profile all the time (like huey's in response to ambient light changes)?

I see an Apple updater writing a lot.

But Adobe's just writing GLSL temp files, and a few logs (/private/tmp/)

The updater or OS do update some cache files (/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components2.LocalCache.QuickTimeComponents , /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components2.SystemCache.QuickTimeComponents)

And the updater or OS reset a lot of plist files, and /var/db files that I don't know the purpose of.

What is interesting is /private/var/folders/CX/CXfEN29QGWq+RcH2FgSVik+++TI/-Caches-/com.appl e.QuickLook.thumbnailcache/

But is that from thumbnails being added, or the OS resetting the database?

I wonder if some of the thumbnail issues could be due to a corrupt SQLlite database for the thumbnails?

There's very little, if anything, to suggest the installation of the Adobe software is damaging the OS. It's not replacing or modifying any system files or folders. The closest we come to anything like that is the last two paragraphs by Chris. And is installing the Adobe software even responsible for that, or is the OS itself making those changes in the process of registering the new software and its hooks to the system? And in the process, damaging the data on its own?

I am sure I have asked a least over 50 people, none of them said they post here, and I would say half have said they encountered this problem.

That's a significant percentage, but I work with a lot of other prepress shops and advertising agencies. They all currently use CS6 and haven't run across a station they couldn't fix (usually be reinstalling the OS).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried finding out what changes take place in the OS after a reboot or logging out and then back in after PS6 saving customs icons starts this icons not showing problem in the finder. It seems that you should be able to find somethings that changes when this problem starts and then when you reboot or log out and back in. We know that, that will cause the icons to show back up every time after PS6 starts the problem with OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried finding out what changes take place in the OS after a reboot or logging out and then back in after PS6 saving customs icons starts this icons not showing problem in the finder.

It's been quite a while now since I've even had to think about dealing with this, so I have to guess a bit. I do remember rebooting to see what would happen. Strange stuff would happen, like images that had no icon now showing one, and others that did have an icon now blank.

Guessing it may have been a cache problem somewhere, I used OnyX to wipe out all cache files it allows you to remove. User, system, kernel, you name it. It would help briefly, but then would come back in less that a couple of hours. Pretty much the same thing other users have been reporting.

I still have no idea why reinstalling the OS works. I can only report it permanently fixed the problem for us on all stations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there to all.

Have not read the whole thread yet, but in a nutshell :

Old MacBook 10.4.11 and cs4 11.0.2 on its last leg but still good for transfering files over networks.

New MacBook 10.8.3 with ps6 13.0 working fine with finder icons that can be seen on it when ps6 has done work and saved.

Old MacBook cannot display finder icons from saved ps6 images.

Still can open them with cs4 and resave with finder icons now displaying properly.

If ps6 files are put on old G5 tower 10.4.8, finder cannot open folder and goes into some loop where I have to force restart...!

Hope this will trigger that stoke of genius in someone to find an 'easy' fix.

'cause I'm not a code guy.

J-L

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would update from Tiger 10.4.8 to 10.4.11.  On my G5 with 10.4.11 I can open folders with no problem.  Of course, the icons are not visible until I resave them with CS2. 

Donald

Translate