Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the thumbnails when it is supposed to.  I have no idea why that would be worse in some applications than others - but the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: Photoshop CS6 does not save icon on Macintosh

Being not a very good techie, I called supprt as I could not figure this problem out. In my case( Mountain Lion and CS6) my thumbnails showed in my picture folder, BUT, when I tried to upload a photo to something like facebook, when the picture folder opened, the thumnail was NOT there...just the file name.

What support eventually did with me was to create a new user and open up CS^ inthat. Then, they had me open up CS^ on my own account, holding down the shift key and it worked. Then, they had me reboot and open CS6 the normal way and it worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Being not a very good techie, I called supprt as I could not figure this problem out. In my case( Mountain Lion and CS6) my thumbnails showed in my picture folder, BUT, when I tried to upload a photo to something like facebook, when the picture folder opened, the thumnail was NOT there...just the file name.

What support eventually did with me was to create a new user and open up CS^ inthat. Then, they had me open up CS^ on my own account, holding down the shift key and it worked. Then, they had me reboot and open CS6 the normal way and it worked.

This didn't help me....  I'm desperately trying to find a cure for this strange CS6 preview problem.  Funny how I can create a file in PS CS 6 and not see the preview, but if I open that same file in PS CS 5.5 and save it to the same folder, the preview icon magically appears ????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The icons Photoshop CS6 is saving are exactly what Apple asked us to save.

Whether their developer communications are the same as their documentation is another matter.

The icons work perfectly for most users, but somehow MacOS is failing to draw or update icons on some systems.  As far as has been determined, this is due to some problem with MacOS itself (since Photoshop always writes the same icon data).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

all I can say is that I first called apple about this. They explanined hat since it was no problem in cs5, and since they have no changes to the system, it is obviously a problem at adobe's end. Just reporting.

Then I called adobe and after an hour of working with the rep, making a new user, then going back to old user and starting with the shift key down(not giving all the details as  I do not remember them, it was solved. I can provide the case # if interested. Itis clearly an adobe problem.

I would suggest that adobe get in touch with apple and work it out...we really do not care whose problem it is butit should be resolved without having to do what I did.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> all I can say is that I first called apple about this.

And there is no way you talked to a developer, so you got Apple's usual "it's everyone else's fault" story from their support line.

The icons work just fine for most people.

They even work fine in some directories, and fail in a few directories for some users.

They work after users clear the OS thumbnail cache.

It is highly unlikely that this is an Adobe problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Chris, you have said numerous times that you are only following Apple's request that you make completely inadequate icons for Retina displays or any other displays in preparation for Retina displays. I believe you! I believe you received certain instructions and have implemented them.

However, common sense screams that here was a communication breakdown or error regarding the icons. Have you or any colleague actually queried Apple about the completely illogical request which runs counter to their software development guidelines? Would you jump of a cliff if someone from Apple requested it, or would you query the request?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

this seems like a lawsuit between a contractor and an architecht when all the customer wants is the issue solved......the two of you HAVE to get together and resolve it...period.This is a no brainer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The same problem has been bugging me for months. After reading one of the suggestions above I ran Cocktail app and the proplem is fixed for new files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

As long as you have PSCS6 creating icons the problem will return. I been there, tried that.

The only thing that I can find that keeps the icons in the finder from becomes not visible is to set PSCS6 to not create icons.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> Have you or any colleague actually queried Apple about the completely illogical request which runs counter to their software development guidelines?

Yes, we checked with Apple, more than a few times.  Apple documentation is not always up to date (or complete, or accurate).

But since we can't reproduce any problem with icons/thumbnails - we can't test whether changing the code would help or not.  We don't know what is different about the systems of the users having problems.  But logically it isn't Photoshop causing the problem, but something about the OS and the thumb/icon cache.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

For those interested...I just did the CS6 update and lo and behold my problem with the icons re appeared(after it have veen solved).

So......I closed CS6 and opened it again with the shift key held down, and lo and behold it solved the problem again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Captain 1944, I have just done an update on my CS6 and, if I read you right, all I need to do to get my thumbnails back is to reopen CS6 with the shift key down? Is it that simple? What does that actually do and can it cause any harm? Sorry for all the questions but this problem is driving me nuts!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

rixie1 wrote:

... reopen CS6 with the shift key down? Is it that simple? What does that actually do ...

Holding down Shift key when launching Photoshop will raise a prompt where you can tell Photoshop whether to load optional and third-party plug-ins.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have recently upgrarde to CS6 Master Collection. I am having the same problem with missing thumbnails

If I re-open the file in my old CS5, I can save and get the thumbnail back. What has changed?

P.S. I haven't changed or upgraded anything on my Mac

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

rixie1 wrote:

I have recently upgrarde to CS6 Master Collection. I am having the same problem with missing thumbnails

If I re-open the file in my old CS5, I can save and get the thumbnail back. What has changed?

P.S. I haven't changed or upgraded anything on my Mac

By the way, just in case, do ensure that you have icon generation enabled in CS6 Preferences:Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 17.36.35.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What's that "Windows Thumbnail" setting say if you hover over it, Conroy?  That setting does not exist on the PC version. 

I looked it up in the Help documentation, and the description of the setting is less descriptive than the name of the setting.

Assuming it's a Windows compatibility setting (for what? saving on a Windows server? saving in a Windows VM?), given the current evolution of Windows thumbnail handling, that setting doesn't seems to make much sense.

Or am I completely misinterpreting the use of the word "Windows" here?

FilePrefs.jpg

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel Carboni wrote:

What's that "Windows Thumbnail" setting say if you hover over it, Conroy?  That setting does not exist on the PC version. 

Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 19.09.05.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Assuming that's adding an entry to a hidden Thumbs.db file, that's pretty much only meaningful in XP.   The newer versions do it an entirely different way, with a central database.  And plenty of Windows users claim there are no thumbnails for PSD files, so I guess it's not working.

Why would only a Mac offer the option to save a Windows thumbnail? 

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel Carboni wrote:

Why would only a Mac offer the option to save a Windows thumbnail? 

The Mac version of Ps can attach two independant icon/thumbnails to a file - a Mac icon and Windows thumbnail. Hence the two checkboxes which are absent from the Windows version.

The Windows version can attach a Windows thumbnail only, so it needs only the Image Previews control which you have set to "Never Save".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yes, I set Image Previews to Never Save because even if it did anything useful (which I doubt) it would be redundant for me, as I have codecs installed that generate proper, modern thumbnails and previews.  Before I got the codec pack I never saw PSD thumbnails, and I didn't always have my Photoshop settings as you see them.

A Windows thumbnail cannot be "attached to a file".  It just doesn't work that way.  A thumbnail can be generated (by a codec) into a central database, and it is associated with the file by Windows Explorer in Windows Explorer windows and File Open/Save dialogs.

What scenario can we envision in which a "Windows thumbnails attached to a file" by a Mac Photoshop user would ever be used/useful?  Maybe I'm just being particularly dense today, but I'd suggest you could likely save some miniscule resources/time by turning that particular setting off.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I didn't know how or where Windows stores file thumbnails, but my point was that the Windows version of Ps cannot create a Mac icon so it has no need for the additional checkboxes of the Mac version.

I have been keeping the Windows thumbnail box checked with the naive assumption that a thumbnail would be created which will be visible if a file is transferred to a Windows system in future. If it's not resulting in Windows thumbnails while I'm using Apple HFS+ file system then I don't think it will matter whether the box is checked or cleared. If the procedures that create Windows thumbnails are not being run, anyway, then I can't see that enabled checkbox resulting in much waste of time and resources.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

conroy2009 wrote:

I have been keeping the Windows thumbnail box checked with the naive assumption that a thumbnail would be created which will be visible if a file is transferred to a Windows system in future.

No Windows system is going to read specific data from the PSD file and generate an Explorer thumbnail, not XP, not Vista, 7, or 8.  Further, as far as I know it never worked that way.  And anything put into the mysterious Mac "resource forks" is unavailable to Windows as far as I know.

The Image Preview thumbnail that showed up at the bottom of File - Open dialogs when using Photoshop CS5 and earlier presumably could have been read from within the PSD file somewhere (for quicker display?), but that feature's gone now in Photoshop CS6, and computers are hugely quick nowadays... 

As an experiment I just saved a file from Photoshop CS6 with the "Never Save" setting as shown above then did File - Open in Photoshop CS5.  It generated a thumbnail preview at the bottom of the File - Open dialog instantly.

PreviewShowing.jpg

Could there be some Bridge interaction I'm not thinking about here? I do know it keeps its previews in a cache, but maybe it tries to pull thumbnails from within PSD files for quicker display?  I don't use Bridge except for occasional experiments to support my participation here on the forum.

Forgive me for continuing to wonder what that setting could possibly be useful for.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel Carboni wrote:

conroy2009 wrote:

I have been keeping the Windows thumbnail box checked with the naive assumption that a thumbnail would be created which will be visible if a file is transferred to a Windows system in future.

No Windows system is going to read specific data from the PSD file and generate an Explorer thumbnail, not XP, not Vista, 7, or 8.  Further, as far as I know it never worked that way.

I never thought that it would. My naive assumption was that Windows thumbnails are attached to files at the time of Photoshop saving a file, in a similar way to Mac icons being attached in a resource fork or extended attribute of a file.

Forgive me for continuing to wonder what that setting could possibly be useful for.

-Noel

A little look in Wikipedia enlightened me to Thumbs.db.

A Mac user could sometimes be saving some files to Windows formatted volumes, say FAT32, and some to Mac formatted volumes, say HFS+, and have separate requirements for each with regard to icons/thumbnails. They may want to attach icons to files in the HFS+ volume but not want to create Thumbs.db files in directories of the FAT32 volume.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel,

I've never, ever had that box checked, and no Windows user has ever complained about not being able to preview one of my images.

My speculation is that this is a legacy setting from the old days when Macintosh previews were in the Mac-specific "PICT" format.

I cannot imagine why that would be needed today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

station_two wrote:

... My speculation is that this is a legacy setting from the old days when Macintosh previews were in the Mac-specific "PICT" format...

Why do you imagine that a switch labelled as "Windows Thumbnail" would be for the old Mac PICT files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have been following these forums off and on for years...it seems the majority of responses are aimed at blaming someone else rather than trying to solve the problem...which in this case might oinvolve putting an apple and adobe tech in the same room...I realize this cots money, but the bottome line is...SOLVE the problem....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

We've been in the same room with Apple - and we're doing exactly what they asked us to do.

All the voodoo "solutions" here point to the fact that this is just a bug in Apple's Finder or metadata code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I am sorry Chris but I find your responses to be evasive and not constructive...there are many people as you can see, many far more knowledgeable than I, who believe it is an adobe issue. When I suggested get in the same room..I mean NOW...get in the same room now and fix this problem rather than spend so much time trying to convince everyone that you are right and everyone else is wrong...

and to answew rixie's question..yes...if you open CS^ with shift key down you will get a windoe saying it will load without plugins. Do this...work a photo then close it down. Now reopen CS6 and at least for me it resolved the problem.....too bad those far more knowedgeable than me could not have offered this as at least a possible solution

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> I am sorry Chris but I find your responses to be evasive and not constructive...there are many people as you can see, many far more knowledgeable than I,

And someone far more knowledgable about the situation than everyone else in the thread is telling you that the evidence points to an Apple bug, and all the red herrings being thrown around don't change that at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It would seem to be that adobe, more than anyone else SHOULD want this solved......in order to promote a good product.......which is whey I still find it hard to believe that adobe has not and apparently will not take any initiative to resolve it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

perhaps a different staff member might help to put this discussion on a direction towards which a solution might be found....tired of being treated as a fool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I doubt that any other engineering staff would have stuck with this conversation for this long, since it's obvious that some parties are not listening to the facts or the experts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> Try: make a test patch for Photoshop CS6 which will enable the creation of Apple-guideline-compliant icons and let some people who are suffering the problem test the potential solution.

Try: listening when an engineer with firsthand knowledge of the matter tells you that we have talked to Apple directly, and are doing exactly what Apple says we are supposed to be doing.

If it were a bug in Photoshop then every file saved by that version of Photoshop, in every directory, for every user, on every single MacOS system would show the exact same lack of an icon/thumbnail.  Since that is not the case, we can be reasonably sure that the problem lies somewhere in the OS handling of icons/thumbnails.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thank you Captain 1944 It seams a lot has gone onto this thread since yesterday! I tried what you said last night but it didn't appear to work. However, I have opened my computer this morning and the thumbnail is showing. I even checked the test files in my Trash and the thumbnail is showing for them also. The only thing I have done is open Photoshop with the shift key held down, so I don't know if that points to an Apple or Adobe problem.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the problem was occuring (I think) when the bottom layer of their image was blank? For reference, I am not getting this issue if I open a .jpg and process it but, like the other poster mentioned, the problematic file was one where the bottom layer was plain white. I tried flattening and saving as a .jpg and saving as a .psd in layers, but couldn't get the thumbnail to show. Incidently, if I opened the flattened .jpg in Illustrator and saved as an .ai, the thumbnail appeared. I guess Illustrator must save the preview in a different way?

I have a workaround, as I have not yet deleted CS5, so I can open and re-save to solve the issue. However, I am really needing to uninstall CS5 as it is taking up a lot of unnecessary space.

I am not a techy but I thought I would give as much info as I could, in the hopes that Adobe and/or Apple will figure this one out and get it fixed. I have spent in the region of £1000 for this upgrade and thus far, I am not impressed that I can't even get a thumbnail for my file without having to go around the houses. I appreciate that the problem may or may not of Adobe's making but, as plenty of us use Macs, I am surprised that the product was available for sale before full compatability testing had established whether or not there would be any issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

As much as I hate to give you bad news in your moments of frustration, be advised that uninstalling CS5 will in all likelihood mess with your CS6 install.  If you absolutely have to recover the space, be prepared to unistall CS6 FIRST, then uninstall CS5 and run the CSClean script, then reinstall CS6 after that and run all the upgrades to bring you up to date.

I know, this is not what you wanted to hear, but it will save you many, many hours of untold grief if you heed my advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Staition-two, do you know why is causes problems? Another thread told me to make sure CS6 was all up and running and then deactivate and uninstall CS5? I downloaded the CSClean Script and it appears to let you select just the CS5 options?

Any input gratefully receievd

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

rixie wrote:

Thank you Captain 1944 It seams a lot has gone onto this thread since yesterday! I tried what you said last night but it didn't appear to work. However, I have opened my computer this morning and the thumbnail is showing. I even checked the test files in my Trash and the thumbnail is showing for them also. The only thing I have done is open Photoshop with the shift key held down, so I don't know if that points to an Apple or Adobe problem.

Seems that the fact that this procedure has now worked for two of us, adobe might try and figure out why???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have been following the thread for awhile because I have this problem intermittently. So I a going through a folder of images, making a a few adjustment and then saving them. Icon were fine until all at once, no icons. Ok I closed PS then opened it with shift key down, closed PS and then opened it normally. Now icon are back. Next time that happens I will just close PS and then open it normally and see if the behavior is the same, as I wonder if it is just closing PS fixes this temporally or if the there really is something to the shift key.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Sep 02, 2012

So, the shift+restart seems to points to a problem with plug-ins. Are affected users running any kind of third party plug-ins? Is there a former plug-ins folder selected in preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Okay happened again. But this time starting PS with shift key down does not fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

captain1944 wrote:

what I find so amazing is that adobe seems more concerned with convincing us that it is not their fault rather than resolving the issue for their own good.

The same game is being played in this thread: 101.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Antagonising Chris Cox is not a solution either.

I'm frustrated too.

I don't see why it can't be an Apple problem. I wonder what the discussions have been between Adobe and Apple to find a solution.

Or is this a problem effecting a small population of users and therefore it's not a priority. I suspect the latter is true. 

By the way the shift key didn't work for me and I don't see how it could.

Marc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Marc.....that is exactly waht I suggested...get apple and adobe ina room..NOW...and find oiut what the problem is..there seems no interest on adaobe's side to solve this...just blaming it on apple......when, in fact, it should be more of a concern for adobe from a business standpoint

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Chris said previously in a posting only a few days ago that both companies have been in the same room, that's why I asked what the discussion was. If Adobe wasn't interested in solving this why would Chris Cox respond to so many users here in the forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

When this is happening today I can always get PS to save icons when I put the .DS_Store file in the trash for the folder where the files are being saved to in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

my understanding was that they HAD been in the same room...all they have to say is " we realize there is an issue and we are working with apple to resolve this".......that is all that it would take.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

captain1944 wrote:

Marc.....that is exactly waht I suggested...get apple and adobe ina room..NOW...and find oiut what the problem is..there seems no interest on adaobe's side to solve this...just blaming it on apple......when, in fact, it should be more of a concern for adobe from a business standpoint

What incentive does Apple have to fix this?  From their perspective Photoshop's just a single (albeit popular) app having trouble.  Apple's probably comfortable that this issue alone isn't going to drive Apple users to buy PCs, where there's no such problem.

I know nothing of Adobe's inner workings, but what if Chris et. al. really are trying everything they can to get Apple to fix this, and all they do is say "yeah, yeah, soon".

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Well now I can't get PS to write icons no matter what combination I try. Trashing .DS-Store, Starting PS the Shift key down, nothing fixes it. At this point there is no compelling reason to use PSCS6 so I am going back to using PSCS5. If Adobe doesn't want to have PSCS6 create guideline-compliant icons, then to h__l with them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Once this mess gets started by PSCS6 I can't even write correct icons from PSCS5. But I was able to get proper icon writing back by restarting the finder after trashing the .DS_Store file. Back to using PSCS6 again, but we will see how long this lasts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ok PS again started to not write icons. Closed PS and and restarted the finder. Now the icons that did not show up in the finder are all showing up, even though I did not trash the .DS_Store file.

Started PS I it is writing icons. We will see how long that will last.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Is it a case of the icons not being written, or are they being written but not being displayed?

I ask because if the icons on existing files suddenly show up after relaunching Finder, then they must have been written although you couldn't see them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

At this point that appears to be the case, but that brings up the question what is PSCS6 doing to cause this, that no other application is doing.

For those that are wondering this is a clean install of 10.8 updated to 10.8.1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

right now i would be satisfied to hear Adobe simply say, yes, there is an issue and we are working on it......but having reviewed this thread again, I cannot find that anywhere..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I started using COCKTAIL as prescribed in an earlier post and if I run it about twice a week or so I have had NO issues at all.  Not sure that this solves it but it keeps it incheck or remission you might say.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Well this time trashing the .DS_Store and relaunching the finder does not bring back missing icons.

So far finding any repeatable pattern to this madness have been unfruitful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Please try the following instruction with a file whose icon is not displayed in Finder.

Select the file in Finder and press Cmd+i, or right-click the file and pick Get Info to open an Info window for the file.

Does the missing icon show at top-left of Info window? If not, does anything show there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have tried that, and absolutely nothing shows up where the icon should be. Not even a blank white space and the area where icons should be is not even selectable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

See if the tiny app Icon Cache Cleaner helps temporarily. It's available from https://discussions.apple.com/message/16210239#16210239

I've checked it and it only runs a simple shell script which cannot harm your system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Conroy, do you ever see the failure on your Mac?  I apologize if you already stated that somewhere here; I didn't want to go back and read all the posts in this thread again.

If not, do you have any theories why it should fail on some folks' Macs and not yours?  I sense you're a system guru on the Mac side at about the same level I'm at on the PC side and I was just wondering what your thoughts are on what might be making it happen more on some systems than apparently on others.

I agree with you that Adobe ought to be creating the app icons per the documentation, by the way.  The written word trumps insider information.  Plus the evidence points to the older Photoshop working better with providing an icon set, so it seems a no-brainer to me.  But I also have confidence in Chris Cox's abilities to see the blatantly obvious and there clearly are factors beyond what we're allowed to hear about that are driving their direction.  That said, it really seems to me that Adobe ought to include an alternate icon generation process that can be invoked in exceptional circumstances could satisfy customers and not run afoul of Apple in a big way.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> The written word trumps insider information.

Not when it comes to Apple or Microsoft.

Again, direct information is usually more up to date than their documentation.

Also, please remember that Apple is moving away from resource forks.

The CS6 icons/thumbnails work just fine for most users.  We have no idea why some users are having problems seeing icons/thumbnails in some folders, sometimes.  We'll have to wait for Apple to get back with an explanation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Chris Cox wrote:

>> The written word trumps insider information.

Not when it comes to Apple or Microsoft.

Respectfully, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. 

I honestly can't see Apple or any big company responding favorably to "you told us on a phone call to do it this way and our customers complain it doesn't work" - as compared to "it follows your written specification to the letter and our customers complain it doesn't work".  Only one of these can be documented and escalated.

But as I have said, I'm willing to believe there are unseen forces at work here, and no more needs to be justified as far as I'm concerned.  I noticed the text you underlined in my prior post.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

conroy2009 wrote:

No, I haven't suffered disappearing icons and that prevents me investigating the problem to any depth.
Perhaps an icon cache or some system file becomes corrupt when the non-compliant CS6 icons are displayed at a particular size.

I thought maybe you had a gut feeling that could send the search for the solution in a new direction.  Sometimes that happens.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Nope no help. It is to the point that it will probably take a reboot to clean this up.

Been trying to use PSCS6 hoping to pin it down to something specific, but in the end it just seems to come down to using PSCS6 to a certain point where it corupts the finder or system to where nothing will make the icon show.. I need to quit trying to figure this out and go back to a stable PSCS5 as It is hardly not worth the aggravation to keep trying to diagnose this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Whether their developer communications are as good as their published documentation seems to be at issue here.

Out of curiosity, Chris, have you actually tried writing icons in the way the documentation prescribes, instead of doing it the "Adobe-Apple insider" way?

It seems to me that one investigative approach to this problem might be to provide a patch to someone experiencing the problem to see if feeding OSX icons the documented way vs. the "Adobe knows better" way makes the problem go away.  Have you tried that?

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm having the same problem too. I've used Apple computers and Adobe PS for well over 13 yrs and never had this before. It seems to have started since a recent Adobe PS6 update came through, although I cant be exactly sure of this. From today though, the image (Jpeg) thumbnails are now also not being able to seen in Adobe Bridge either. To solve this I have to fire up my old version of PS3 on an old Mac and re-save my work all over again. This re-saving makes a new set of icons and thumbnails wich solvesit. BUT THIS workflow is not acceptable.

Why are the image (jpeg) icons not being viewable in the Apple finder ?

Seems like a new kind of Apple?Adobe incompatability.

Any help out there ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Apple still hasn't told us why their thumbnail/metadata parsing breaks sometimes for some users on some folders.

Please see previous posts in this topic about how random this is, and how to solve it by clearing Apple's preview caches.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Chris, after dealing with this for a few weeks, and starting to get really really annoyed with this behavior, I understand why others on the forum are upset with you. Telling us it's Apple's fault is unacceptable. Period. This is a big lose for Adobe. Period. End of story.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

This is Apple's bug, and there is nothing we can do about it.  We cannot fix Apple's code.  We cannot even work around this problem until Apple tells us why their software is failing.

We'd love to solve this, but it is a bug in Apple's Finder and metadata code -- and we cannot fix that code in Apple's OS.

What you're doing is like blaming your car maker for the lack of repairs on your local road.

Photoshop is working correctly, but for a small number of users the OS is failing to read or display thumbnails correctly until the OS thumbnail caches are cleared and rebuilt.  Apple has to take responsibility for their OS behavior, and fix the bugs in their OS code.

I am sorry that you find Apple's bug unacceptable, and believe that you really should let Apple know that so that Apple will put a greater priority on fixing their bugs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe (Chris), that is such a poor answer on behalf of the customer service department of a major global software supplier.

Really, I would expect alot more than to just explain reasons why not to investigate customers faults with Adobe's PS product. Adobe has worked very hard for a long time to become the industry standard in this type of software. Don't let us down with an throw away answer like 'it's not our fault, ask Apple instead'

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

[ utter B.S. deleted by admin ]

And yes - it becomes harder and harder to live with. I just received a load of files from a client that fortunately had been created in CS5 - not sure how I could have dealt with revising their entire website without the thumbnails & icons - what a pleasure to have them back.

Had used Onyx which fixed the issue for a while - but messed with my 'modified date' - but that didn't last for long.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Have you actually tried running Cocktail as suggested in post #317?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Just downloaded it - no time to install & try it now - do seem to remember some early posting reports of it now helping.

This seems to be the form to get to people who do examine the issues - tho with Illustrator they did deny the coping issue was their problem - and blamed 3rd party programs even tho most of the people reporting the issues didn't use 3rd party copy software - but FWIW - they did fix the problem eventually…

[ out of date and not-useful bug report form URL deleted by admin ]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

sorry - that should have been early reports of Cocktail NOT helping - but will try it.

… and fill out a bug report

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I don't think Cocktail will do any thing different than Onyx. They both delete the _DS_Store file which you can do yourself if enable show hidden files. Sure it helps for a while just the same as logging out and back in or rebooting. If you have PS writing Icons it will eventually show up again. The bad part about it when it happens is the it affect other icons as well.

The only way I have found to prevent that is to set PSCS6 to not write icons. I have had no finder icon corruption since I have done this. I can live with the finder generated icons, it is better than having no icons show up once PSCS6 corrupts the icons in the finder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Not sure that Cocktail is deleting the DS_Store file. My recommendation was to run Cocktail in its default "Pilot" mode. The DS_Store file is not part of the Pilot mode unless it is buried in the functions that are listed for Pilot. (Cocktail does have a separate function for deleting the DS_Store file, which I have not used. The Pilot mode has been sufficient in itself.) However, some users have reported that Cocktail doesn't solve the problem for them, which might be attributable to configuration differences (such as network vs. single user, etc.). I've only had the problem come up twice in many months, and both times Cocktail resolved it.

Some users are clearly more affected by the problem, which leaves me wondering if Adobe could choose to go back to the way CS5.5 and earlier handled icons, while telling Apple "we'll do it the way you say when you fix it." Seems like common sense, but there's sure to be much more to the story, both technical and political, than we'll ever hear about in this forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

We're pretty sure that the photoshop icons/thumbnails are not the cause.  But we won't know for certain until Apple tells us the nature of the bug in their code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I meant go back to whatever it is that CS5.5 did that worked, and still works. ("Handling file icons" is simply a term for what users see as a result, not necessarily the cause of that result.) I am assuming that restoring a process used in the previous version of Photoshop isn't asking Adobe to search for a needle in a haystack. (Of course, if the problem is known by Adobe to come up in earlier versions, this is moot. But that is not information available to this forum, and we have not seen evidence of it ourselves.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines