Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 664 Replies 664
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both clinton_dyches and yours truly are not on 14.x at all.

PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clinton_dyches wrote:

Both clinton_dyches and yours truly are not on 14.x at all.

PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.png

You must be accessing the forums through email. 

I edited my post literally within one second of posting it by deleting the one line you quote..

Edits are not broadcast to those who choose to access the forums through email.

My momentary confusion stemmed from your mention of CS6 and 13.x.  My bad.

As I said I caught my error and deleted in a nanosecond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be accessing the forums through email. 

I am - I've been following this thread since I started it!

Clinton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't know it was out.  I'll probably update tomorrow.  Maybe it will fix some of the other CS6 quirks I'm experiencing.

Don Hutcheson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hutchcolor wrote:

Didn't know it was out.  I'll probably update tomorrow.  Maybe it will fix some of the other CS6 quirks I'm experiencing.

13.0.5 has been out for a while, since well before CC was released.  It did fix a few quirks for me, but I can't remember exactly which ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

Is there any particular reason you stayed away from the Photoshop 13.0.5 update?  Just wondering if you know something I don't but should. 

FWIW I am running 13.0.5 since it was released and do not have an icon problem, not in the Finder and not in the Open dialog box in Ps.

I wonder if 13.0.5 is a CC thing because I don't see it available to me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625561/photoshop1304.jpg

Nor is it available for direct download:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

I've gone back to working in CS5 because of the broken finder icons amongst other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evil Lair wrote:

I wonder if 13.0.5 is a CC thing because I don't see it available to me…

No way, I'd never, ever go any where the Cash Cow sbscription model no matter what.

I have a non-subscription, perpetual license 13.0.5 on my Macs:

Ps_13_05_splash.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" perpetual license "

me too, but how long will it run? OS compatibility will be our downfall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- JM - wrote:

" perpetual license "

me too, but how long will it run? OS compatibility will be our downfall.

Suits me fine. I'm already running the last OS X that my machines will run, and I fully expect them to outlive me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides. I'm already very enthusiastic about Photoline, a very worthy alternative to Photoshop for my purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to Photoshop CC and MAC OSX 10.9 Maverick. This problem still persiststs but in a different way. When I open a PS file that has been saved on another MAC on PS 5.5, the small icon in the header bar is there. When I save a file in PS CC the icon is never there. There's just an icon of a generic jpg. It's better than before becuase now I can at least use the functionality of that little icon for draggin the file into other Adobe programs or my RIP for printing without hunting for it in finder, but it's still broken in that it doesn't provide a true preview. Just an FYI. I prefer it being broken the way it is. It's not pretty but the functionality I need is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced a similar issue with Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator icons within CC 2015. It seems to be an obscure OS problem. I solved it doing an icon cache reset. To do that I used cDock (Extra settings option, Reset icon cache), but it would certainly be possible with other tools or directly with a terminal operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop since version 2.0 and I never had this problem. It suddenly started happening two days ago. No change in my OS, with Photoshop, or with anything else on my machine. Still running CS6 and 10.8.5. When I use Get Info, there is no field for the thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have noticed that if I drag the file from the desktop to a folder the icon suddenly appears. Same issue and unexpected "fix" with both pngs and jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines