Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Explorer ,
May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the thumbnails when it is supposed to.  I have no idea why that would be worse in some applications than others - but the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Clinton,

Do you have some kind of Alpha Masks used in the Photoshop images by chance??

<< Photoshop does not contain anything called an "alpha mask">>

Thanks

Mandhir

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be something like messed up registry entries (or file associations on MacOS), or a bad thumbnailing program, or problems interpreting transparency, alpha channels, etc.  So we're going to need more information.

Which OS version are you using?

Do you have any third party utilities that create thumbnails for PSD files or other image formats?

Do the files include transparency, or alpha channels?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of them are jpg, some psd with transparency and alpha channels, some png, some tif, etc. I just installed an SSD and ran diagnostics on it, repaired some permissions (again) and verified and repaired the drive. Now some of my previously 'lost icons' are showing up, but not all. I'm on a MacBook Pro (late 2011) running OS 10.7.4.

Thanks,

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS does have known bugs creating thumbnails for files that contain alpha channels (some intern at Apple confused them with transparency), so that could mess up some files.

But JPG files shouldn't be a problem, or PNG.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But some of the files don't have alpha channels - just standard jpg or png for uploading to the web. Those were the one's tht were 'recovered' when I repaired my disk and permissions. I'll see if the others are psd files with alpha channels and let you know. You may have solved my problem, though!

Regards,

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clinton, I'm experiencing what sounds like the identical problem (running Mac OSX 10.6.8) ...

- It happens with .jpg, .png, .tif,.psd and Photoshop .pdf files - and therefore is not related to alpha channels

- No other app on any of the Macs in our shop, running either Snow Leopard and Lion has - or has ever had - this problem

- Re-opening the files and re-saving in the same format using any other graphics utility (Preview, Graphic Converter, AND Photoshop CS4! creates the icon successfully.

- Deleting the .DS_Store files for any given directory does not eliminate the problem

- Repairing disk permissions does not eliminate the problem

Only thing I haven't tried yet is rebuilding the entire volume in DiskWarrior - that is next.

I created 7 identical copies of the same stock photo in different file formats (.tif, .jpg, png, psd, .pdf) - Only #6 (re-opened in Preview and re-saved) and #7 (saved in Illustrator CS6) are displaying file icons.

Would love some real help from Adobe on this...

UPDATE TO THIS POST

Deleting the .DS_Store files for directory and restart appears to solve the problem...

Message was edited by: jeff@seaver.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting .DS_Store means you cleared the OS cache for thumbnails, which means you are seeing a problem in the OS thumbnailing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris - apparently PS6 is very sensitive to OSX caching for thumbnails. I've had to use a utility to clear out the display settings for pretty much my entire hard drive, and after a restart, the icons are being created correctly. Unfortunately, I had 600GB of content with hundreds of thousands of folders, so it's a pain to have to do this. As I mentioned earlier, no other app in our Applications folder creates files with this problem (and I have over 350 apps installed) - and in fact none of the other CS6 apps I tried fails to create icon previews either.

A good utility for clearing DS_Store files en masse is Onyx. I also think Snow Leopard (aka Lion) Cache Cleaner does this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeff@seaver.com wrote:

...apparently PS6 is very sensitive to OSX caching for thumbnails...

It is not apparent to me what this means. Can you explain? Which is writing to .DS_Store: the OS or Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read in context of previous posts - I'm speculating that the problem of PS6 not creating icon thumbnails, while it is being blamed on Apple's OS, it is the only app we own having the problem of saving new files that don't have thumbnail icons - and that this may imply that PS6 doesn't "play well" in the sandbox with the way Apple's OS caches (stores) the files that govern any given directories' appearance. Hope that's a help - and if you're not having the problem, congratulations and no need to worry about it! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the OS writes to .DS_Store -- that's where MacOS stores thumbnails, metadata, etc.

Somehow MacOS is not creating thumbnails correctly all the time , and wiping out the thumbnail cache forces it to recreate the thumbnails.

Photoshop doesn't do anything out of the ordinary when saving files, but we'll have to follow up with Apple to see why their thumbnailing might fail like that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My confusion regards your use of the word "sensitive". I would imagine that it would be OS X/Finder that is sensitive.

I have read the context of these posts and that is why I asked for clarification on what has not yet been described.

Are you writing icon previews with Photoshop or are all previews being generated solely by OS X? ( Photoshop Preferences->File Handling->Icon ) What happens when you toggle this? When you did your test for (.tif, .jpg, png, psd, .pdf), did you use Save for Web on JPG/PNG?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, for one, am realying on Photoshop to create the icons with previews. Image Preview is set for icons. That is, generally I believe, the way the OS handles icons as well. I'm not even getting generic icons most of the time. I haven't, as a previous user did, deleted by .DS_Store library so I can't say if that will fix the problem or not. I'm going to check on the Apple boards and see if others are having similar problems.

Regards,

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

are you suggesting I delete the .DS_Store so I can restore my thumbnails. If so how would I do that. Where is .DS_Store and are there different .DS_Store's that I shouldn't touch.

I'm on a Mac version 10.7.4 on a 2 x 2.8 GHzQuad-Core Intel with occasional icons showing up after awhile.

Marc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox had it right - clearing out the appearance settings solved the PS6 thumbnail icon issue for me.

Every folder on a Mac for which one has established a specific appearance (View>Show View Options, or Cmd-J) creates an invisible .DS_Store file within that folder, aka directory. It's not much fun to try, one at a time, to a) make them visible, and then b) trash them -  as there can end up being thousands.

There are several utilities that can batch remove these files - I used Onyx for Mac. I think File Buddy may also do this, Snow Leopard (or Lion) Cache Cleaner may have this capability - suprisingly, Mac Pilot didnt seem able to). There is also a Terminal command to perform this on an individual folder (directory), but I didn't know how to batch run it to clear out every directory on my hard drive, so I used my utilities to do so. Once Onyx was done removing all the .DS_Store files on my hard drive, I restarted and voila - Photoshop CS6 now saves every file with thumbnails that can expand from 16x16 to 128x128 (and on up, depending on your OS).

It does require that you re-set appearances on certain folders (icon view for folders of images, date-sorted lists for versioned documents, column view for for fast scanning of nested hierarchies, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find an option in Onyx to delete .DS_Store files. Would you know where it is. Here is a screenshot of the program.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 5.57.40 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

...DS_Store -- that's where MacOS stores thumbnails...

I thought DS_Store was only recorded preferences for display of the particular Finder window (list view or icon view, window size, window position, etc).

When we delete (refresh) DS_Store, are we not just resetting the folder preferences to display/generate thumbnail previews stored elsewhere (resource fork/extended attributes/etc)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's not that obvious....

I'm running 10.6.8 and Onyx is OS-version-specific so there "could" be small variations if, for instance, you're in Lion.

Launch Onyx

Go to Maintenance heading

Click Rebuild tab

Third radio box down is √ Display of folders' content

Use the Select button at right and choose your hard drive (which is, effectively, / on the path)

Enable the "This folder and all its sub-folders" radio button

If you don't want to mess with all the other rebuilding options, DE-select:

LaunchServices

dyld's shared cache

Spotlight Index

Mail Envelope Index

Sidebar of Finder windows

Help Viewer menu

Click on Execute button lower right

Requires a restart to see results, but open PSCS6 and re-save or create a new image file to the desktop - let me know if it works for you too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think Chris meant this is the only setting we have control over, but you're right, thumbnails themselves are not stored in .DS_Store  - only our display prefs for that particular folder (directory). If you're having this same problem, try the techniques outlined to remove (and rebuild) all these files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again Jeff.

Marc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works - but does this make it an Apple or Adobe issue? And will it continue to work or, as the .DS_Store grows, will we have to do it again?

At any rate, I'm glad to have icons back - in full preview mode as they should be.

Thanks,

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mac OS X is responsible for writing the .DS_Store file, this would be an Apple issue.

DS_Store is not growing. It is just corrupting. DS_Store tells the system whether it should display icons and at what size. There is no indication that this file actually contains image data or anything that would grow.

Deleting/refreshing DS_Store only treats a symptom. The problem is with some OS X process corrupting these DS_Store files. So it is probable that the issue will happen again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't really mean to say "growing"!

But I know what to do, now, if I start losing icons again and am thankful for all who chimed in here and help 'fix' my problem... we'll just have to wait and see if it's a temporary fix, I suppose.

Thanks,

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After running OnyX as suggested all my icons in Photoshop open command are very tiny? Any suggestions on how to get them larger?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris and folks of this discussion.

I deleted DS_store files as suggested ealier in this discussion and that did not solve my missing icon problems. I wish that Adobe and Apple had a more active relationship so that this issue could be resolved as it's a very important issue to be solved.

I belive Chris Cox of Adobe when he stated Adobe can't replicate this problem but I'm baffled why they can't.  I also offered to email data to help.

It was also suggested that we post this problem on Apple's online forum. If anyone has a specific place for me to post, please let me know. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this issue and ran Onyx as well as Cocktail PILOT, but I don't think it helped

Previews are still missing in Column View for both finder windows and in the Photoshop Open dialog box. If I switch to coverflow view, I see the previews just fine.

Sad thing is that I live in column view in the finder and in the Open and Save dialogs of Photoshop. Traversing directories with Coverflow is awful.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem only in Column View?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doe anyone know if upgrading to Mountain Lion solved this issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the problem day 1 w/ ML. Ran cocktail, cleared it up, but it will likley be back again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not upgraded to Mountain Lion yet--I usually wait for the first update to a new cat before installing it--but the icon problem has not returned since running Cocktail on Pilot per my earlier post. That specifically includes column view, which I use nearly 100% of the time. If Cocktail didn't do it for you, I suggest rebuilding your disk directory using Disk Utility (or Disk Warrior, if you have it), then running Cocktail on Pilot, then restarting your Mac. If that doesn't get it done, you'll need to look for some other solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded our machines to Mountain Lion, and no, that did not resolve the issue. Several desktop icons (for files) are missing since the upgrade and - lo and behold - they are listed as Adobe Photoshop-created files. Don't get me wrong, I accept Chris' statement that it is an underlying Apple problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all!  I've tried Cocktail without any luck and the the drive I store all my PS files is a 40TB XSan but all 6 of our MacPros running 10.7.4 and CS6 have the same problem (one of our artists never upgraded to 10.7.4 and he has no problem seeing prieviews wirh CS6)....frustrating. I don't want to go back to CS 5.5.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried deleting .DS_Store - I'll read a little further and take this question to the Apple Support Forums and see if others are having similar problems.

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only fish out of water.

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the program DS_Store Cleaner and I am seeing the icons for the files in the finder but within Photoshop when I select open the icons are missing. See screenshot. This either means the program I used didn't do the trick or it's PhotoShop or it OSX Lion. Either way I wonder if I should now use the program I was originally suggested to use, OnyX

Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 10.49.32 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc -

This looks like a screenshot from the mini-Bridge, on Lion? Sorry, I can't answer for Lion because I haven't tested this on our Lion machines - but the Onyx solution did, as I reported, solve the problem for me in Snow Leopard - but there's no reason DS Store Cleaner shouldn't have done every bit as good a job. Deleting these files is a simple script, it ain't rocket science.

As helpful as Chris C.'s input has been, I am suspicious about ladling all the blame on the Mac OS, for two reasons - one, no other app I have (and I have hundreds) is having this problem, two, I can replicate the problem on several machines with PSCS6, and the second second reason, hopefully without causing offense because as I said Chris C. was helpful and for me, nailed the problem - Adobe does have a tendency to, whenever in doubt, blame Apple (I was a tester with Adobe for the first few CS versions and heard this time and again) until shown otherwise. While the solution may be to dump these appearance files, I'm a bit skeptical as it does not explain why they would all-of-a-sudden become "corrupted"  at the moment we upgrade to PSCS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is from the OS open dialog within Photoshop within Lion and not mini-bridge. Thank you Jeff for replying and your help. I think I will run OnyX as well and see if that improves my situation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the thumbnails when it is supposed to.  I have no idea why that would be worse in some applications than others - but the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox - "I have no idea why that would be worse in some applications than others - but the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over."

Chris, I appreciate that you are trying to help here, but this is clearly not a matter of it being worse with some applications than others, as you say. I've carefully read hundreds of posts on this issue, in this forum and others, and in every case the only application with which this problem arises is Photoshop CS6. Whether or not the Mac OS is responsible for creating thumbnails, the problem only arises for users of this version of this application. That tells me that Adobe has changed something with this version of Photoshop which is triggering whatever that problem is within the OS. Older versions of Photoshop cannot reproduce the problem, and neither do any other applications. I don't think the relationship between the problem and PS CS6 can possibly be any clearer. Apple's problem or no, Adobe is getting the black eye here, and can, with enough effort, figure out what they wrote differently in CS6 that exposes the OS's problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not know exactly how Apple generates their thumbnails, or why they might be sensitive to certain application versions.  We do not have Apple's source code, and do not know the details of all of their bugs.

We do know that thumbnail generation works most of the time for most users (meaning that the application is writing all the correct information), but fails sometimes in the OS for other users.  We do not know exactly why the OS code is failing, or why it fails for some users and not others, and some times but not others.  To me that would indicate some sort of timeing issue or uninitialized variables in the thumbnail code.

Until Apple determines why their code fails and tells us the details, we can't know what we might have changed to trigger that failure.  (and to our knowledge, we changed nothing that could explain this, and even re-examination of our code and files yielded no clues).

We should not have to reverse engineer the OS and all it's thumbnailing code to figure out an OS bug.  This is an Apple OS bug that Apple needs to figure out.

Just because an application exposes a bug in the OS, does not mean that the application is responsible for the bug in the OS, or can do much about the bug in the OS.   This isn't even something we can work around - it's not a direct API call, but something that happens outside the app after a file is written to disk.

If you would like to see this fixed sooner, please let Apple know that you care about this issue and would like them to address it sooner.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Since I initiated this discussion, I should note that I've had no more problems since the .DS_Store 'resolution' while others seem to be having the same problem. It has now migrated to the Apple discussion board and I will, when I'm able, post to the Apple Developer's board (if you haven't).

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, running Cocktail in its default Pilot mode (which includes emptying caches) corrected the problem on my system. On a purely logical level, even if the fault is with Apple, there must be something Photoshop CS6 is doing differently than CS5 (or any other app), or it wouldn't be the only app with the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Thank you for your posting. Can you explain your solution to the less techy of us. I read your post and didn't understand it and very much want to resolve this problem as I need NEED my thumbnails.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not that techy, either, Marc. Cocktail is a 3rd party utility that does much of the same stuff that Onyx and others do. It handles a number of "housekeeping" chores. To digress, I periodically run Disk Warrior (rebuilds disk directory) followed by Cocktail, usually before updating system software, and that seems to keep things running smoothly. (Little errors and problems gradually crop over time, especially if you create lots of files and are a robust filer, unlike most consumers who leave it to the system.) Anyway, Cocktail has a Pilot mode that by default runs what most of us will ever need done. It's simpler than the more involved ways to get to the same end. (I have no connection with Cocktail other than being a satisfied user.) You'll find it easily in a search. Don't remember if there's a free version, or how much the paid version costs, but it isn't much. The Pilot function is easy to find, and you just click run.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I have obtained Cocktail and before I get myself in trouble... do I do anything  theDS Store tab where it asked to delete DS STORE FILES ? and or to prevent DS STore File creation on network vlumes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to mess with the DS STORE files or any other settings. Just go to Pilot and click run. (I should add that I did run Disk Warrior before Cocktail when I solved the problem. I doubt that rebuilding the hard drive directory was the solution--the problems fixed were too few and more-or-less routine. What Cocktail does is more relevant to what the earlier posts were saying.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking online at Diskwarrior.  So you are saying that Disk Warrior was able to restore or repair the existing files saved with PS6 on your Mac?  What would I generally use this program for?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A true techy can answer this better than I can. All Disk Warrior does is repair any errors in the hard drive directory, essentially the filing system for the computer, so it knows what files are stored where (among other things). It's like Apple's Disk Utility app, but historically has been more thorough. Directory errors can lead to various odd behavior by the system or apps at different times. You may or may not have directory errors, or at least any that matter much, and most users never repair or rebuild their directory (and most will use Disk Utility if they do), but that's a separate topic from this one. Just run Cocktail on Pilot and see if the icon problem is fixed. I recommend restarting the system immediately after running Cocktail. (I only mentioned Disk Warrior because I ran both it and Cocktail as part of my standard troubleshooting routine. Better would have been to see if anyone said Cocktail didn't fix the problem before mentioning Disk Warrior.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly as Rick said and ran the PILOT on my newly installed Cocktail and following that shut down my computer. All of the thumbs returned on the images saved in PS6. So that did it without Disk Warrior.  I still may investigate DW as well though.  Thank you Rick. Hopefully they will find a fix for this. It really through me into a loop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

"...the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over."

The icon data of Ps CS6 saved files is different to that of CS5.1 saved files. A change has been made to Ps CS6 which is causing this difference in icons. Either Ps CS6 is writing the icons differently or it is requesting the OS to write the icons differently. If these CS6 icons, but not CS5.1 icons, are related to some intermittent problem when an icon is being read or displayed by the OS, Adobe is still responsible for making a change which lies at the root of this problem of disappearing icons on some systems. A simple solution might be for Ps to go back to creating icons the CS5.1 way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having trouble with this, but in testing I'm discovering some very interesting behavior.

If I create a file that has some imagery on the default "Background" layer, it will produce a column viewable thumbnail. When I add an additional layer to the file, the column view thumbnail is broken.

If I take a multi-layer file that has the broken column view thumbnail and flatten it and save it, the column view thumbnail is broken. So something tells me that somehow the file is now "thumbnail broken", but if I copy that imagery and paste it onto the default "Background" layer of a new file, the thumbnail is rendered correctly.

I don't have time to test all the crazy scenarios, but could it be that multiple layers are triggering part of the problem ? — hopefully this might be a valuable clue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moglodite,

The thing which you refer to as "column view thumbnail" is not a thumbnail which is attached to a file as an icon. You are referring to the preview of a file which Finder generates when Finder knows how to read particular contents of a file.

Finder does not know how to build composites from layered PSD files, therefore if the file contains no composite then Finder will be unable to provide the preview. If Maximum Compatibility is enabled when saving PSD, then a composite will be embedded in a layered PSD and Finder will use the composite as its preview. (A file containing just a single layer, when that is not the special Background Layer, is considered to be a layered file.) A PSD containing Background Layer only can always be previewed because Finder will use Background as a composite in that special case.

File icons, as used throughout the various Finder display modes, including Cover Flow, are an entirely separate thing from Finder's preview in the right hand column of column mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change in the size of icons written was at Apple's request (apparently in preparation for retina displays).

The icons not showing up sometimes for some people is an Apple issue.

Please see post #41.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, sorry for asking more of your time, but please clarify.

I manually request OS X 10.6.8 Finder to attach a clipboard image measuring greater than or equal to 512 pixels in at least one dimension to a file as an icon. The system creates and attaches a multi-resolution icon containing 5 images:

512x512, 256x256, 128x128, 32x32, 16x16 pixels.

Ps CS5.1-saved file icons are multi-resolution - they contain 4 images:

256x256, 128x128, 32x32, 16x16 pixels.

Ps CS6-saved file icons are single-resolution:

256x256 pixels.

You are saying that Apple asked Adobe to make a change to the size of icons in preparation for Retina displays. The result of that request doesn't make sense to me. The CS6 icons are no bigger, and they contain fewer resolutions. In what way does that comply with Apple's request?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Apple's request was to just write the one icon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris etal in the forum, I have no previews for just PSD docs  in the mac finder for a week or so now. I run snow leopard on a mac book pro that is about 2 years old. Oddly enough the trouble BEGan for me after running a normal maintainence script in ONYX (I clean the cashe about once a week or so). I just instaled the little "patch' from adobe but that does not help. I can see the previews in the com/4 view but in com/3, where I usually hang out there is no preview and pressing the space bar for quick look is the same, with no preview. I have read some of the posts below and have not found any solution that works for me. I see there is a sort of fued going on with apple's retina displays and CS6 protocols. Can you give me advise about what to do? It would be greatly appreciated. aloha, Uhane

Here is a screen shot of the problem

Screen shot 2012-09-23 at 2.54.33 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the wrong thread for problems with Quick Look and Finder preview. This thread is about icons not being displayed. Your image shows icons being displayed. Icons and previews are completely unrelated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of a thread that would deal with this or should I start a new one? aloha, Uhane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unaware of an existing thread although a forum search may reveal one - see the "Ask a question" box near top of page http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=discussions

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Just to let you know, the problem has surfaced again in the latest developer release (12D65) of 10.8.3. I've filed a bug report with Apple but I don't expect, at this late date, that the problem will be fixed before 10.8.3 actually ships.

So I think that this thread will be angrily pointing the finger at Adobe once again  - I can confirm that it is an Apple problem, however.

Thanks,

Clinton

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update.  We keep talking to Apple about this, but they can't reproduce it and neither can we.

There has to be some triggering factor that we're missing (file contents, installation history, third party, or corrupt file structures - at a guess).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,

I am not sure if this could help, but: If I am going to save my PS files on a .dmg image created with Disk Utility, thumbnails would magically show up again. A friend told me that .dmg images are NOT journaled. I hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new iMac 27" with 12D68 10.8.3. The MacMini never had any problem with that system, but my new iMac will not write the preview icons reliably now.

Running CS6 cloud software rental scheme from Adobe now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hre is the example of my icons very small.

Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 2.21.25 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have tham same problem but in a diffrent way. I'm working on two computers, one older Mac Pro running Tiger with Adobe cs4 and a new Mac Pro running Lion 10.7.4. running Adobe cs6. Both computers are on a large Xsan so I'm saving files to the same folder on the Xsan from both machines.

If I create a Photoshop file (any- jpg png psd tiff. etc....) I can see the preview icon in a folder on the New Mac but when I open the same folder on the old Mac I can't see the preview icon

See example:example.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That tells us that the problem is with MacOS, and that somehow it is getting confused about the thumbnails/previews for those files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to blame Apple or to blame Adobe. I don't care to blame anyone.

I'm interested in is a solution or a work around. Deleted the .ds_store didn't solve it for me the problem returned the next day.

If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know.

PS. Chris do you know if Adobe is in discussions with Apple about this problem and when we might see a fix. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't yet have enough information to file a bug with Apple.

We need reproducable steps before Apple will investigate.

So we're continuing to try this and see if we can come up with reproducable steps - but we're having trouble reproducing it ourselves. There may be other factors involved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything from my system that I can privately send to you to help you evaluate the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here we are blaming Apple and still not fixing the problem.

Amazing how opening the same file in CS5 and saving saves an icon.

The fact that CS6 won't do this is somehow now Apples problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.... I did another expariment..... In the new Mac Pro I saved the same photoshop file in version 5.1 and I see the preview in the old Mac Proexample 2.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far after rebulding the .ds_store I have an icon when saving from CS6.

But being that CS6 appears to being doing something different than CS5 I have my doubts that that is a long term answer.

10.6.8 here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post here. I think I've discovered the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt...I am way way out of your league but I appreaciate your help. To clarify, are you suggesting that in lieu of re-installing Mt. Lion, I could simply re-install quick time?