• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 not saving to server

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot save my .psd files to the server from photoshop, neither save or save-as. Save for web works just fine. When I try to save I get this error message:

Could not save as “X.psd” because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder.

I know for sure that I have unlocked permissions and no one else is using the file.

I'm running Adobe Design Premium for CS6 on a retina mac book pro iOS 10.7.4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So where does it create the temp file if the .TemporaryItems folder does not exist and it can not recreate it?

Does it just revert back to CS5 behavior of saving directly over the file?

This seems like a dangerous solution. I don't want to crosspost too much so take a look at my assessment of the situation so far over here. And I am well aware that these may be different issues, but they seem to have this directory problem in common...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cs6_photoshop_saving_issues

I've taken the information I've learned from here and done some analysis through testing. I have not however tried preventing users from recreating the .TemporaryItems folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this link while poking around for some information relating to the .TemporaryItems folder

http://prowiki.isc.upenn.edu/wiki/MS_Office_and_Network_Volumes

Some of the suggestions here sound like they could show some promise as the related error sounds all too familiar.

After the holiday, I'll be doing some testing and will post back what I find.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your great feedback! Hope the above will work.

I will ask our IT guy to give me full access to the '.TemporaryItems' folder too and will post my findings as soon it is done.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌ssounds promising, how do you access the temporaryitems folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having this same issue and I have disussed this on other similar threads. Keeps coming back to the same things to try and no solution. One thing I did find is that the problem does not occur when saving to a file server with SMB. However, when saving through SMB, periodically I was getting a message that said something like, "The saved file was modified since the last time it was saved, all changes will be lost. Are you sure you want to save". It still let me save and I was able to go on with my business. I'd say that message appeared about as often as the AFP realated program error. So it makes me wonder if they are related. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are separate bugs.

Apple believes they have solved the primary problem in MacOS 10.8, but they have not solved the file modification date issue (which has to happen outside of Photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I misread the original post. But can you clarify what you mean by the "primary problem"? Is that in response to my post or to the original post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The primary problem discussed in this topic is a program error when saving to a file server on MacOS 10.8, due to a bug introduced in 10.8.  That was fixed in 10.8.2 (though we're also adding more safety code on our side as well).

Again, you mentioned 2 problems (same issue as topic, plus the timestamp change).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,

Me and a collegue are facing the same issue as topic starter JenniRLeder. We are both running Photoshop CS6 on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

However, you say that the issue is fixed in OS X 10.8.2, is this correct as we are still having this problem? I was not able to find a fix or workaround.

I hope you could help me with a solution for this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which of the mentioned problems are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also getting the error below when saving to our NAS. Saving to our local harddrive is no problem.

Could not save as “X.psd” because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder.

Everything was fine when we used Photoshop CS4. We used it with a lower OS X version though and updated both at the same time. We did not encoutered the problem with any other program so far.

Hope to hear from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to save files in Photoshop to the server. To rectify this problem I switched of "Save in Background" in the preferences. Photoshop now allows me to save files directly in Photosshop to the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been working with full access to .TemporaryItems for all the share's users for about a week now. This works great, no more saving issues here.

Thanks for all your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Access to the .TemporaryItems folder is just part of the issue. Are you also using unique UIDs for every machine? Active or Open Directory?

Or manually managing them? If not, you will also run into an issue where the TemporaryItems subfolder will get removed upon logout.

Can you give more information on the structure of your network? We are testing moving our environment to Active directory in order to establish unique UIDs to avoid collisions in the .TemporaryItems folder. So far, all tests are positive. I have isolated a single machine to have a unique UID and access to the .TemporaryItems folder and so far no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're also testing a number of workarounds related to the UUID collisions and .TemporaryItems deletion OS bug.

So far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on this?  I have been told that the common recommendation is to upgrade to 10.8, but this is not something we've considered in our budget.

What can my users do if we don't upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks to Chris and Scott for shedding some light on this matter. I am seeing same issue (have been for some time now and utilising the save to desktop workaround). I can confirm it is only since the CS6 upgrade and only over AFP (ExtremeZip) connections to a server share.

My users have now discovered the false disconnect method and are using that: Go to finder, attempt to disconnect from the shared volume (it won't let you), go back to photoshop and save to share.

Is there any update from Chris/Adobe on when a 'proper' solution is likely to be forthcoming?

Many thanks for all the work so far.

Liam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has identified the cause of many of the problems, and we're testing workarounds (since we don't just run on the latest OS version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's foretelling potentially good news for a lot of folks!  You're going to be heroes if you solve this.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just done major updates on Mac OS to 10.8.x along with the Adobe CS6 suite... Previously on Snow Leopard and CS3, along with otehr competitor software and occasionally noticed a problem saving to the server. Along with this also ejecting a falsh drive or SDcard. This may be way too simple a try or stab at this. Recently suffering terribly with this newest of "Save to Server" problems with CS6 and with a file open as I write this... tried to open/edit old CS3 PSD residing on server. Upon closing and save command, experienced this thread problem. In past with similar issues wtih other files and programs... I find that the desktop directory "VIEW" in the 3 column with last being full thumbnail might be the culprit. In this case (with current problem file not saving to server still open) I changed the view of the server directory to LIST.

Go back to open PSD, close... do youwant to save, yes.... BAMMM it saved fine back to the server. Maybe some of the more technical users might shed any light on the directory use of the preview/icons on the server directories? Let me know if anyone finds this actually works for them.

Add me to the list for this thread problem and I hoe Apple or Adobe find teh fix. It's a pain saving to desktop as a workaround... left with so many duplicate files to manage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case it would be the OS holding the file open or trying to read the file while it is being saved, because it is trying to display a preview and some metadata in the finder panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any update on work arounds? i've got an open case with apple enterprise support and would like to provide a good solid solution to my users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing I can share yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scottgriz,

Unfortunately, my network knowledge is not that good (yet). We have an AFP share running on a netgear NAS. We (3 users) all connect with the same password, if that's what you mean. Haven't noticed any other problems so far.

Does that help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any development on this issue? I see it's been a couple of months since anyone commented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines