Photoshop CS6 suddenly a trial version of Extended.

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Launched Photoshop CS6 this morning, and suddenly it is a trial version of CS6 Extended. I did not ask for this, I do not want this, I bought, paid for and registered the regular version on the day it was released. I am not renting the software via that stupid creative clod thing, I bought it the regular way. What is happening here? Is this going to happen every time they release a minor update? How do I make it go away?

Today we released Photoshop update version 13.0.4 (for Mac perpetual customers) and version 13.1.2 (for Creative Cloud members, Mac and Windows), resolving this licensing issue:

How to get the Update

1. In Photoshop, choose Help > Updates.
2. The Adobe Application Manager will launch. Select Adobe Photoshop CS6 and choose Update.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2013/01/photoshop-13-0-413-1-2-updat es-now-available.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI if any Adobe folks check back here. I have to re-enter my serial number every day or two. I thought it was only after a reboot of my Mac at first, but it has occurred when I didn't restart as well. I must have entered the serial number a dozen times at least since this started (meaning the activation process is  apparently working as expected that on the same machine, reentering the serial number does not count as a new activation).

For those using the trial, it might be prudent to find your serial number now

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem started after we updated, trying to solve a different Photoshop CS6 issue. This morning I spent 2 hours on the phone, mostly on hold, and was given the "enter your serial number" fix. A very temporary fix. Will put up with the annoyance (rather than uninstall/reinstall yet again), but hope there is a fix soon. Also hope that Adobe hires more support people, and perhaps allows them to tell users that this is a problem being dealt with by Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CS6 did exactly the same... went from normal CS6 to Extended CS6 which I didn't want and wants licence number everytime I open Photoshop now grrr !! not sure if you sorted out this issue yet, going to read replies...

--Barry

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda amazing that a company can create a piece of software that sells for 500 plus but has a hard time coming up with a quick fix for a simple serial check.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this bug has existed since December 13 (this was the date of the first post in this thread), and now that we have January 6, there is still no real fix - except a guideline recommending either using this undesired trial version or freshly installing PS or whatsoever.

Sorry, but this is not really convincing. Adobe is not a small shareware company! And with the holiday season: is there no emergency plan ...?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current bug is indeed very annoying but it hardly qualifies as emergency.

The fix is simple, certainly for users of Photoshop only, as the reinstall works as long as you don't update beyond 13.01. It takes about 10-15 minutes for PS alone. If it was a case where users were actually unable to use Photoshop at all, then that would be a very serious emergency. I presume Adobe would be forced to deal with that but it is currently not the case. Let's see if people who have gone with the trial and who had an original 30 days (The message I got before reinstalling was 32767 days) will be able to continue to use the program after the trial period with or without reinstalling. If not, then that will be emergency.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ClintGryke is right.

With over 300 posts in this tread newcomers are will have difficulty and be frustrated reading through the whole thing to find a fix.

If you are worried about the trial window, and irritated at having to enter your serial number over and over again the simple answer is to reinstall.

I'm a bit wary every time I install something, but for me it only took 10 minutes and the problem hasn't reoccurred since mid December.

So, Uninstall, then install as you would have done in the first instance.  After that DO NOT install any of the updates except 13.0.1 and you will be OK.

I agree Adobe is a large company, but you can only have a few people working on one problem or they start duplicating their work. 

It will be a case of, "try changing this piece of code, test it to see if it works, doesn't work, cross it off the list and move on to the next idea".

There's probably no speedy way of doing it and it's head busting work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The small and lonely voice of a windows 7 user... Actually this bug has existed since October when I first started another thread... And I'm only on 13.0.1.  So I hope the awaited fix addresses MY problem too and not just for mac users!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not always as easy. In my case I have the same problem with PS, AI and ID. Still very open about the number of licence activations on my Adobe data, I sometimes need to activate the additional license on a client machine. And reinstalling needs normally re-registering most of my 10+ plugins, which takes additional time.

Opened a support case on December 12, it was withdrown by Adobe "support" on Dec 24, without any kind of solution or apologies. 5 days of trial left, this is no longer a minor issue for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think for the majority of cases in this thread, the issue is relatively easily resolved temporarily. It seems to me that where the Mac updates 13.0.2 and 13.0.3 trigger this bug and the user is only using Photoshop, then the issue is easy to work around by a reinstall. However, the bug is more widespread (clearly in the case of KirstyMc) and cannot be as easily resolved as it wasn't triggered by a Mac update.

Furthermore there may be other issues which need to be resolved in individual cases. I don't think I've seen anybody else talk about  losing activation counts so perhaps there is something else wrong in your (smei_ch) case. A one-off reinstall certainly works in the case of Photoshop so, if you are having to do this more than once, I would guess that you have an additional problem which the bug fix itself, when it comes, may not fix in any case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear KirstyMc,

I am not a Windows person, (the wife has a notebook, that's all I know about Windows 7.) 

Did you end up in a trial PSCS6 extended version since October?  Did your 30 days trial run out?  What happened then?  What are you doing now to access your copy of PSCS6?  What did you have to do when your 30 days ran out?

My greatest fear (or curiosity, yuk) right now is what happens when my trial runs out.  Will I still be able to use PS CS6 at all?  Will I be forced to uninstall / reinstall to an older version?  Do I have to therefore reinstall all my many many plug ins?  I had bought new computers before, many times, and had to reinstall, many times, and I know for sure it is not 10 minutes.  And for a computer illiterate, only relying on PS to earn a lunch or two, this is a traumatic experience in a way, fearing if I screw up, will there be other impacts on the rest of my computer.  That means sleepless night, constipation, anxiety... and what do you think Adobe will care about that, for $699 + $99 +$199 + many many updates... It feels like being slapped on the face and called floor mat.

We all know this bug is not a big problem.  None of us are worried about the fix for the bug.  The 300+ messages here are not about the bug.  It's about attitude.  As photographers, we make our living by treating our clients like kings.  We sent kids to college by winner repeat business from our clients.  6 years after a wedding, I sold the bride and groom a 16X20 with special effects empowered by the latest PS + plug in technology not available 6 years ago (and help contributed to prevent a potential 7 years itch challenge, saved a marriage, thank you, Photoshop).  Repeat business base on treating customers right, that's how us small potatoes make a living.  If Photoshop is our Buddha, we expect Adobe to treat people as people, not a $199 cheque.

The 300+ messages here are about Adobe and customer service: from phone calls to India, to cases closed, to being ignored right in the Adobe living room.

Time is running out. 

VLADIMIR: You have a message from Mr. Godot.

BOY:Yes Sir.

VLADIMIR:  He won't come this evening.

BOY:  No Sir.

VLADIMIR:  But he'll come tomorrow.

BOY:  Yes Sir.

VLADIMIR:  Without fail.

BOY:  Yes Sir.

Silence.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sungyle. I rename the pcd cache in common files/adobe and reregister.  for a few days its fine, then the trial restarts and round we go....   😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need to reinstall Photoshop, not the operating system. 15 minutes max start to finish on my 2008 MacPro.

And I think that anybody with  the intellectual capacity to read Beckett cannot possibly argue inability to perform such a mundane task

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a clue, my Mac version responded differently.  After getting back home from the trip I reeregistered, and now it has been fine for over a week, opened every day.

But I'm not using Photoshop heavily right now.  I remember a few months ago finding a case where Photoshop was eventually clobbering its own graphics interface when running a particular long batch action.  And I remember in the past on PCs several versions of Photoshop across several differnet computers had a memory leak, the leak was proportional to (number of processors)-1, so for many years I limited my computers to single core.  Perhaps this is something in the code that is randomly clobbering memory outside an assigned range, that could explain it being intermittent, and hard to debug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I (and some others) have opted to re-install their CS6 Suite, what if any updates can we allow without landing us back in stupidville again, where our licensed CS6 thinks it's Trial Ware?

Until/unless I hear a resounding peal of approval for doing ANY updates, I'm simply not going to upgrade this thing at all.

I feel for those who have scads of plug ins which they have to allow for in a re-install; to my knowledge, the bare nekkid Stock CS6 install works as well as I'd ever hope to need it to, so I'm stayin put for now.

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 13.0.1 and Camera Raw 7.2 do not wreck the licensing. (Camera Raw 7.3 may be safe but I've not tried it.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of those versions are offered in my Adobe updater doo-dad...guess I'm stayin put.

thank you!

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, conroy!

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR 7.3 is perfectly safe. I decided to try it to get rid of a slightly cryptic message when opening raw images from Lightroom into Photoshop due to incompatibility of the ACR versions. Other users have reported the same somewhere way back in this thread. If you don't need it though, there is not much point in getting it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ClinGryke,

You know Mr. Backett?  Then you must love comedy, and you must love a joke.  You must enjoy a good laugh.

Yuk, the joke is on Adobe, but I am the worst joker of them all.  I think jokes are the best way to minimize stress. 

Of course reinstalling 13.0.1 will work, for PS, but we all know that also entails redoing all the add-in's

What would Mr. Backett do if he works for Adobe as a performance consultant?

Rename 13.0.1 as 10.0.4, add an uninstall module, check all add in's in the user's Adobe folder, back that up, automatically uninstall, reinstall, put the add-in's back and work on 13.0.5 a.s.a.p. now that they got everybody back at work and nobody will have time to write jokes here.

Of course Adobe knows all his friends who wrote add-in's to make Adobe look more handsome and smarter.  They shouldn't have problem finding the add-in's in the Adobe folder.

See, I told you, I am the worst joker, especally when I do a few of those bottoms up.  Cheers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never met the man although we are natives of the same city. He was a little before my time. I probably would not have understood anything he said  - wrong side of town and he wrote mostly in French in any case they say. You are right though - I do love a laugh. And there is so much to laugh about - guess we are lucky that way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

camera raw 7.3 ok and will not bring the evil popup back. Go ahead and use it. Worked for me

conroy wrote:

Photoshop 13.0.1 and Camera Raw 7.2 do not wreck the licensing. (Camera Raw 7.3 may be safe but I've not tried it.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uhanepono wrote:

camera raw 7.3 ok and will not bring the evil popup back. Go ahead and use it. Worked for me

conroy wrote:

Yeah, but there are some glitches that might make it a poorer choice.

Honestly, if your camera is supported by it, Camera Raw 7.0 is the fastest and (IMO) can deliver the best quality conversions.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This situation becomes more and more absurd. Today I, when I started AE, I was told my trial had expired. I bought the full version of the Master suite.

Hopefully, some of the folks at Adobe might return to work at some point and maybe take a look at the problems they are causing for their hapless customers all because of their draconian copy protection scheme.

I don't think everyone at Adobe is a scumbag.

Just whichever manager has learned about this problem and decided to put it on the back burner.

Oh, and whomever runs customer service.

Lance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting as interesting as it is scary.

The fun part is, this morning, a CNET news item about how Microsoft deals with a bug in IE.  This can be used as a standard for measuring customer service performance in difficult situations.  Here it is... I quote.

"...Microsoft will fix a zero-day hole in IE today almost a week after this month's regular Patch Tuesday updates.

Discovered late last month, the vulnerability could allow attackers to gain control of a Windows computer running one of the older versions of IE by directing users to malicious Web sites. In response, Microsoft had suggested several workarounds and even offered a "one-click fix" designed to mitigate the problem, but those were considered temporary solutions.

Today's update will fully resolve the issue, according to Microsoft. Scheduled for rollout at 10 a.m. PT, the fix will be available as a critical update, meaning it will automatically be applied to any Windows computers with Automatic Updates turned on. Otherwise, users will need to install the update manually through Windows Update."

Well, I think we have done all we can to help Adobe.  We've nice, we've been rough, we've been patient, we've been impatient, we offered, we demanded…

Whether we are a responsible person, or organization, depends on how we respond to challenge.

Perhaps somebody will write to Cnet and ask for help, ask for investigation...  Perhaps somebody will go on to Facebook and ask for help... I don't know how kids gets motivated nowadays…

It is so sad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could adobe be having some sort of attack happening in the background that they arent making the public aware of?  This issue as been on going for over a month and nothing has even been implimented to even try and address the customers and user community.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear that Creative Suite 7 promises 50% less losing of your serial number!

Now even the useless and clueless chat lines are on at least a 20 minute wait.

The customer service telephone lines are an hour+ (though my experience is that you never get through).

Perhaps the manager of customer service is still on vacation (or busy being promoted for saving the company tons of money by offering the worst customer service in the business)?

Some companies take pride in offering reasonable service to their valued customers.

Then there is Adobe.

Lance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workarounds and tips have been posted.

But this came up DURING the winter holidays, and that means that the solution is going to take a little longer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Adobe Reader and in the Install dialog box there is a line that says "Adobe always recommends updating"...or something like that....hmmm. Maybe not always.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the trial period ends tomorrow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "trial period" expired yesterday and today is just like yesterday - had to enter my serial number and everything worked as it should.

So it seems that the situation after the "trial period" ends is no different to that before.

I know I could uninstal, re-instal and update to 13.0.1 but if all I have to do is keep re-entering my serial number then that is the lesser of the two evils for the present.

Still I wish Adobe would hurry up and fix this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on it, but it takes time, and the holidays delayed things a bit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear you are working on this problem.

My solution has been rather easy. I'm running 13.0.3. on my Mac, OS 10.6.8. When the Dialog Box opens asking about The Photoshop Trial, I simply  close this window in the upper left corner. I'm prompted whether I want to Quit, and I click Yes. Photoshop continues to run. Tons easier than some of the folks putting in their Reg. #'s over and over. Works for me every time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing the same "short cut" for a while now.  But I've got only 7 days left...  Really waiting excitedly for the climax (anti-climax?)   Never been this close before.

Cheers. I bought a case of Burrowing Owe awaiting for the fireworks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. In my experience, choosing to Quit did not result in Photoshop or any CS6 application running!

Otherwise, I could have put up with that for awhile. I had to re-install. No clue why my experience would be different from yours.

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have said Mac.  Not sure if your case is PC?

---------------------------------

By the way, did you un-install / re-install?  How long did it take end to end?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sungyle;

I un-installed, then re-installed. All in, it was about an hour...perhaps closer to 40 minutes and most of that, of course, was "chair time" waiting for the installer. I could have easily done dishes, or gone out for coffee.

As for my un-installing, I took pains to delete more than just the bits from my applications folder. I also tossed preferences, Application Support files and Cache files (OS X).

Just wanted to make sure that I started as cleanly as possible.

HTH

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the bit that alters the license be zeroed in on and re-written? I have to think that software installers/updaters are organized in ways that make sense both for the writers and for the software being updated. Is this correct, or are all components "smeared" into each other so that no part is isolable from the others?

thank you!

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wkjeiwoi wrote:

As for my un-installing, I took pains to delete more than just the bits from my applications folder. I also tossed preferences, Application Support files and Cache files (OS X).

Just wanted to make sure that I started as cleanly as possible.

There is no need to do that I'm sure. It is sufficient to just run the unistaller and reinstall. The problem appears to me to be solely with the licensing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind a few givens:

• Adobe has software no one else comes even close to having.
  • Adobe knows it's valuable and has priced it at a premium.

Knowing these things, it's no surprise that any number of software thieves around the world would love to find ways to crack it, run it for free, and sell "discounted" copies.

Thus the mechanisms to prevent illegal use of the software have to be amongst the most sophisticated in the world.  They have to be SO sophisticated that it makes it simply too expensive and time consuming for it to be at all practical for crackers to reach their goals.

Now you begin to understand why it can be problematic.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not believe it is taking this long. Adobe is starting to show signs of incompetence.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we get the stakes of preventing software theft for any company. Safe to assume that Adobe engineers can get into their own code...somewhere in a software bunker deep underground at an undisclosed location, behind 30 or more layers of steel doors, surrounded by sharpshooters, battallions of poison spiders, scorpions and rattlesnakes...

😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's official "solution" at the moment is to keep your serial number in a text file on your computer for a quick copy and paste...

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/64-bit-creative-suite-applications-repeatedly.html

Er, yeah, thanks for that - I would never have thought of it!! 😉

Now, if you could kindly get to the bottom of this mess and pull your finger out, that would be appreciated.

I like the way they say "This issue is only affecting a small number of users but is currently under investigation" - well, it's affecting 2 out of our 4 iMacs running CS6, so that's a 50% hit rate - this multi-page thread suggests it's not just isolated incidents either. Perhaps you'll test your patches properly in the future please!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear wkjeiwoi,

Thank you.  I asked because I had a related but not exactly the same situation...

Once in a while, I run a program call Adobe Soundbooth CS5 to edit audio files for wedding videos.

I don't use that often enough but yesterday, when I ran it, a pop up window said there's an error and I was asked to uninstall and reinstall.  Since this is CS5, I must have been using it for a long time and my MBP is solidly current therefore reliably stable.  The only possible reason an error happens, I guess, is the PS CS6 impact on other Adobe applications that I was not aware of. 

I did the uninstall and reinstall, in about 40 minutes.  It included almost 15 minutes to find my way to my copy of SB-CS5 in the Adobe fortress.  Then Adobe wants me to first install an installer, ran it, which then automatically downloaded my SB-CS5 (15 minutes).  The rest of the time was for the actual uninstall reinstall plus keying in the registration number again.  The good news is, my SBCS5 is now working. 

So, it is very time consuming.  Definitely not 10 minutes.  And everybody should plan to allow an hour's time for managing this project regardless what Adobe's gift wrap says.  The sad news is, my SBCS5 is so out dated I would have paid for the upgrade to the latest audio editing program but I am, at this point, too chicken to trouble trouble awaiting for trouble to trouble me.  It's money that is staying in my pocket until Adobe hugs me.

As for the security part: Given that more than half of the PS out there is pirated, Adobe has reason to be unhappy.  I would consider stop distribution of the software via physical format.   You want it, you go to Adobe, by hope or by crook.  Next is the registration code.  The 24 numbers Adobe is using now is still a single item, a code of 24 digits, sitting somewhere to be found by thieves.  It's still a single-key-opens-the-door design.  Make it turn left, turn right and turn left again.  Paid customers will be happy to type our 24 digits in as 3 separate groups of 8 digits at a time.  They can even make it 36 numbers so we will enter it 12 digits at a time 3 times.  Adobe can now hide them in 3 different locations inside the actual PS program, for example, once under the brush tool, once under the crop tool and once under the text tool, or whatever.  Adobe can even work with Apple and hide a set of numbers in our keychain (I am sure Windows has something similar).  Now the thieves will need a school of kids lead by SPECTRE taking many years to find them and Adobe will be safe for a while.  Meanwhile, the users will be protected and allowed to focus on making beautiful photographs sending their kids to school to learn to crack codes.  Us users who paid for the Rolls Royce wants to be able to leave the car parked on the street and go watch a concert without having to worry about it being stolen.  And since we do use PS at locations where there is no Internet, we don't want to call Adobe everytime we fire our PS up.  Collaboration with Apple Keychain make more sense.

What's taking Adobe so long?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sungyle wrote:

I did the uninstall and reinstall, in about 40 minutes.  It included almost 15 minutes to find my way to my copy of SB-CS5 in the Adobe fortress.  Then Adobe wants me to first install an installer, ran it, which then automatically downloaded my SB-CS5 (15 minutes).  The rest of the time was for the actual uninstall reinstall plus keying in the registration number again.  The good news is, my SBCS5 is now working. 

When I said 10-15 minutes (yes it is true on my Mac), the assumption was that you would have saved the original disk image if you had bought the download or had the DVD to hand if not. I  don't pay a fortune for a program like Photoshop and not have personal backup copies at home in case of problems.

I have to confess though I'm a serial backer-upper. My image collection is infinitely more important again. All of my digital photos are at least triply backed up with at least one copy off site. A tsunami might do me but I should be ok otherwise. I guess you do the same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-entering the serial number or re-installing is a great solution for individual users. But corporate users like myself are out of luck as we don't have the license, the media or the Adobe ID the I.T. deptartment does. I.T. doesn't have the time to repeatedly relicense my software and as a Mac minority, I try to bug I.T. as LITTLE as possible.

The trial mode has been happening to my whole CS6 suite on and off since December some time. At first I just dismissed it and the software still worked, but it's progressively getting more annoying and the countdown on my trial period is closing.

My install was a push install through remote desktop so I also don't have access to reinstall.

Adobe, PLEASE fix this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragoro21 wrote:

I can not believe it is taking this long. Adobe is starting to show signs of incompetence.

So you'd rather they rushed through it and made even more mistakes? 

I think at this point the Adobe Quality Engineering people are probably using everything from nanobots to blowtorches on it to make sure it doesn't break again.

[ emphasis added by an overworked admin ]

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over a month goes from double and triple checking time, to incompetence.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was also a couple weeks of holiday involved, which kind of slows things down...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is getting bigger than I thought.  What's your I.T. department saying about this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GlintGryke,

That's a nice work flow.  Thank you.

I do have my copy of Soundbooth_3_LS7.dmg up in Dropbox plus 3 more copies in my 16TB Lacie drive groups in addition to the "very safe, most current" copy in the Adobe fortress. 

I am greedy I went for the assumedly most current (August 2010) copy in Adobe's vault first.  I am guilty.  For my punishment, I will do a double bottoms up. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was very irked to have to upgrade from PS, InD and Illus CS4 to CS6 before Dec 31st ($750!), or buy a Creative Cloud subscription. And now upgrade with every new version.

So, before I was going to install them I thought I'd look for any hint of problems for OSX10.6.8. Then I found this thread...Wow!

I've read every one of the 360 posts. I can't believe it's taking Adobe so long to fix this.

And you expect me to buy a never ending subscription from Adobe??? Doesn't the company realize the wasted time and energy and bad Brand Management that is underway?

Do I continue to use my old CS4 as long as I can?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest solution of all is amazingly ignored repeatedly: only install 13.0.1 and the ACR update. Mine in ginning along now with no dialogs popping up at all!

Sent from my iPad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kiski,

If you are a great photographer and all you need is a few layers to clean up using the select tools, blur tools, text tools, then, CS4 is surprisingly adequate and sufficient. 

Personally, I enjoy CS6 for its improved features such as Content-Aware Fill, Refine Edge, Mixer Brush, Bristle Tips and Puppet Warp.

A lousy photographer like me who cash in on old ladies making them look young and beautiful find these technology a great time saving productivity tool.

That's what these 360 posts are about: productivity, as defined in "happily getting more done in less time".  The universal truth about productivity is, happy workers are more productive.  Adobe is not making us happy.  That impacts our productivity.  Sure, we toast to it, laugh it off, and get back to work.  But that does not mean we are not 'irked' (thank you).

CS6 is a great program.  I love it.  I am proud of it.  Thomas Knol will be proud of it.  Russell Brown will be proud of it.  And I am sure the two of them will rather the marketing department and security department stay outside the program.  I hope they will just use email for marketing and in my Apple case, use Apple keychain for security. 

I refuse to be political: but, after a few drinks, the voice in the head gets louder...  bring the jobs home, keep the jobs at home.

You will forgive me.  I used the wrong mouth wash this morning.  Didn't see the label that says Bambu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oldbalddude wrote: "Launched Photoshop CS6 this morning, and suddenly it is a trial version of CS6 Extended. I did not ask for this, I do not want this, I bought, paid for and registered the regular version on the day it was released. I am not renting the software via that stupid creative clod thing, I bought it the regular way. What is happening here? Is this going to happen every time they release a minor update? How do I make it go away?"

This happened to me also. I saw that Photoshop was launching as the Extended version after installing an update. I was not bothered by it think it was just an Adobe promo. I found out differently when the trial expired and my registered version of CS6 would not launch. I work for a company that owns several stores, but only has one IT guy. This happened on a Friday and he was out of town and unable to get to the software's registration number until Monday. It was stored in yet another city from me and I did not have access to it either. I also worked on Saturday without being able to launch my registered version of Photoshop CS6 all day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue since January when I purchased CS6. I have to re-enter serial number everytime I launch CS6. Assume you have Windows 7 64 bit also?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve the issue on the one Mac that was having this problem. I installed a second hard drive, did a clean install of the OS on it, copied over the user account from the first hard drive, and then installed CS 6 on it. Everything worked fine. I had to re-serialize some of the other software, and reinstall CS 5.5 from scratch, but other than that it was a simple 8 hour operation that cleared this small bug in Adobe's licensing scheme right up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue intermittently for the last while, but last week it got much worse. I launched it, and found that it was once again a trial version. Since I am a Subscription user, normally all I do is click "Licence This Software" and then Sign In - after that, CS6 would start.

However Friday when I did this, I was prompted for a serial number. Since I am/was a subscription user, I don't have a serial number.

Yesterday I spent two hours with technical support. Their final suggestion was for me to create a new Windows admin account, and install Photoshop under that new account. I have not tried that yet, but even if it does, as a solution it leaves a lot to be desired.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A broad question for those of you having this problem:

Are you using any kind of "cleaner" software (e.g., a registry sweeper, Mac Keeper, etc.)?

That you are losing your activation status and login info implies something on your system is being lost.  Computers shouldn't (and don't normally) lose data.  A computer system so egregiously broken that it regularly loses data (e.g., because of a disk problem) wouldn't work otherwise.

So the question you should be asking yourself is WHY am I losing data?

Are you losing other data regularly?

As a long-time Windows user myself, I have NEVER unexpectedly lost my activation status.  It's not something that normally fails or is to be expected.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see it as a symptom of the machine "losing" data per se. I see it more likely an indication that the licensing scheme is periodically writing information to a file in an insecure manner, or worse, holding the file open. You are just one bad file write away from losing your registration data. Even with CS5.5 I've seen machines forget their status. Often the fix is a trip into time machine to recover the right folder in /Library (can't recall off the top of my head where it is located -- FlexLIM or something).

We keep our Mac maintenance pretty simple - Disk Warrior to stay ahead of directory structure issues, and Onyx to run Unix maintenance scripts and reset the various System caches once in a while. These get run every few months, usually when a machine starts getting fussy about fonts.

When I ran Windows at home I used a registry cleaner once in a while but I don't think Adobe keeps the licensing information in there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is shot in the dark about the registration issue.  I've been having situations where CS6 seems to clobber itself, perhaps a stack overflow?  For example if a "change to RGB mode" is executed from an action (I know, sounds weird, and it changes every few days), then the actions panel does not update visually until the cursor is moved back over the image.  The first time this happened I kept clicking on things to get a response, not realizing I was blindly destroying my action.  Restarting Photoshop is the only thing that resets it, then playing the same step in the action sets it off again, so there are some action steps I do manually for several days until it becomes something else.  I build a lot of custom actions to recover image problems for Hollywood.

I'm sure Adobe is doing some really clever things with the licensing, but maybe some new thing is too "clever" and is sometimes writing past the area it should be and clobbering itself, Photoshop, or other running programs, which would explain some odd behaviour of the system sometimes when Photoshop is running intensively.

I had the "trial version" problem a thousand miles from home on a Photoshop-critical trip!  When I got back home, reentering the registration just once cured it for my system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MarketingDen wrote:

I see it more likely an indication that the licensing scheme is periodically writing information to a file in an insecure manner, or worse, holding the file open. You are just one bad file write away from losing your registration data.

I guess that's my point - what's a "bad write"?  No such thing is supposed to happen - computers are not just expected to make errors, not good ones anyway.

I use Photoshop hundreds of times a day.  I cold start it hundreds of times a day.  And I've never had it forget my licensing status.

There could be a fault in Adobe's own code that causes corruption of licensing data - I think that's even been confirmed for certain versions - but if that were the case in general, wouldn't everyone see some low level of loss of licensing info?  In fact, it seems that some people see it again and again, while others never do - hence my question.

No one outside Adobe knows how they encrypt and where they store their activation info.  It may even be they do stuff that's so tricky some machines don't handle it well.  But if we could detect a correllation between the people see the problem and the specific things they do, then we could at least advise not doing them.

I do know this:  Windows NEVER needs any kind of "registry cleaner".  I advise everyone using one to re-evaluate what it is they're trying to solve by doing so, and find a better way to solve it.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah so perhaps it is related to an IP or ping or routing issue? What does adobe keep track of on our machines via IP? Does the IP logged in from somehow trigger a "trial" popup? Do we give it permission somehow for this data traffic and how can we change this permission. Perhaps, now, with subscriptions there is a new protocol for tracking user access all round? I know bridge now requires an open port (even though it states it doesn't use it to send or receive packets via IP) to to send and receive to/from itself to/from other apps in the suite. Hmm. Any thoughts on this from staff?

q38 wrote:

I had the "trial version" problem a thousand miles from home on a Photoshop-critical trip!  When I got back home, reentering the registration just once cured it for my system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats a "bad write"? A broken or crashed application that wrote nonsense in a critical file?

I had one of our production girls leave me a message that "photoshop crashed on Thursday and now nothing will run." So I check out the machine and sure enough running any CS5.5 application just brings up a message about the licensing has stopped working and to reinstall." Generally speaking with the terrible state of Adobe's installers and how godawful slow they are, with a ridiculously slow update process that follows, reinstalling is a last resort for me. Instead I fired up her Time Machine (the Mac's built-in backup scheme) and restored the contents of the FlexLM folder (buried somewhere in the system Library folder). Bingo, everything worked again, and the problem never resurfaced on that Mac.

So yeah, crashes happen, stuff gets corrupted. Happens. Possibly happens to some more than others because of particular work habits or workflows that cause more exposes more problems for them.

Personally I've never had this issue on my own machines, but my work habits and workflows are completely different from everyone else in the building.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows never needs registry cleaning... Sure. The way around keeping irrelevant, old, or incorrect values out of your system registry is to simply periodically reinstall the OS when it starts to slow down. I don't think there's anything wrong with occasionally cleaning the registry, provided you know what you're doing, and it'll keep you from having to reinstall your OS from time to time. Just saying. But this has nothing to do with Adobe. They don't keep their licensing info in the registry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

A broad question for those of you having this problem:

Are you using any kind of "cleaner" software (e.g., a registry sweeper, Mac Keeper, etc.)?

That you are losing your activation status and login info implies something on your system is being lost.  Computers shouldn't (and don't normally) lose data.  A computer system so egregiously broken that it regularly loses data (e.g., because of a disk problem) wouldn't work otherwise.

So the question you should be asking yourself is WHY am I losing data?

Are you losing other data regularly?

I don't use a registry sweeper. Adobe acknowledges that this is a bug in their activation/registration/licencing system.

Here is my guess: Adobe uses a complex set of criteria to determine whether or not the machine that Photoshop is starting on a registered machine. That algorithm is going wrong in some cases, and it incorrectly determines that Photoshop is on an unlicenced machine. Adobe is doing this because people pirate this software so widely, but it is a complex problem, and I would guess that the licence verifier looks at many things on a machine to determine whether or not it is the same machine - and in some cases those things are changing in an unexpected way.

That doesn't make this any less frustrating or annoying or time-consuming as an end user, and if it is bad enough it could cost them licenced users. But it is Adobe's problem to solve, and they seem to have gone quiet on it - at the very least I would have expected techical support to have heard of this problem by now and have a workaround, but they don't seem to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll agree with the assessment that the complex algorithms intended to slow down piracy are at the heart of the problem.  It stinks that people are so dishonest about using software that such schemes have to be put in place.  I've had to put them in my own software as well.

Keep in mind, however, that once the serial number is re-entered, it is allowing people to activate again and again.  That implies that some part of their scheme thinks it's the same system that's been licensed before, and that the activation approval status - wherever and however it's stored - is being lost.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some folks' systems forgetting their Adobe ID, with which they can log in and get activation approval from the cloud subscription servers?  I may be crossing things up, but I think I've read of folks who have to keep re-entering their Adobe ID.

I'm not sure Adobe has unambiguously acknowledged it's their bug.  They HAVE acknowledged a specific bug that caused problems for many users in 13.0.2, 13.0.3, 13.1.0 and 13.1.1.  The statements they made about that may not apply to the folks who remain in the situation with 13.0.4 or 13.1.2 where their license status is being repeatedly forgotten.

In any case, as a fellow user powerless to see under the covers or do anything to the code, I'm just seeing if I can help by finding something in common you folks who remain struggling with this problem are doing and can avoid to work around it.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Preciate that Noel!

I don't have an issue with my adobe ID - it's always there -as are all my registered products in "my adobe".  Something I have noticed is that if I ever try to try launch CS6  from lightroom that ALWAYS brings up the trial version.  Launching from desk top will be fine for a while, then throw in a trial every so often.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, back months ago, I opted to remove my CS6 install (that had been "tainted" by the rogue updater) and re-install the base version.

I have not installed or allowed any updaters since then.

Just now, I needed to launch Dreamweaver and got this trial version malarkey again!

What is going on, Adobe?  If this had happened tomorrow while I was at school I would have been out of luck.

So now I must re-install CS6....again...rather than get actual work done.

Is there an actual fix to this problem out there? If so, kindly share it, please?

w

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 530 kwjelwol, Before you bother reinstalling try this. Purge the user cashe. Now do you have a full license or a subscription? If it's a full go to the user cashe and purge it. and then relaunch. Still there? then do a manual update to the 13.04 from within the app and see if you're ok after that. the 13.04 is a stable update and solves the problem upon relaunching a seconf time.

Translate