• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop does not recognize this type of file - After Power Loss. Any advice?

New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My partner's battery died of death about two years ago and since then she's been using her laptop like a desktop (yes we know how cheap replacement batteries are but she is stubborn) and while working on a file for the last god knows how long she but the she put the lappy into sleep mode and one of the kids tripped the cable.

Enter the lovely 'photoshop does not recognize this type of file' blah blah. I've tried grabbing the temp file and changing it to .psd/.tiff and what not. Tried a bunch of those one click fix your corrupted photoshop files but it's no use. Even had a look with a Hex editor and everything is blank even though it's a big ass file.

So I'm stumped. Been at this for a few hours, tried everything that my google-fu could give me and I'm asking for help.

Can anyone take a look if I post the link? I can link the temp file and the .psd that she was working on.

Thanks, any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

I checked in a HEX editor to view the actual data as well, but unfortunately the entire file consists of 00 bytes - meaning, it is filled with zeros, and is, for all intents and purposes, empty of relevant or meaningful data.

Just like you discovered. It's a lost file, and entered the digital halls of file Valhalla.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yeah post a link to the file although I wouldn't get your hopes up, it's very important to keep backups of your important files, to many times have we seen people posting here after not been able to open corrupt files and they don't have backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's particularly important to do a Save As and incrementally rename a document occasionally if you've been working on it a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it guys. You're preaching to the converted here. My missus...stubborn in her ways. I even got a replacement battery for my laptop and she didn't want me to pick one up for her. Madness

Anywho's here is the .psd

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17SjymBILkndPkMIcfIyhHogHYLLP-O0Q

and here is the backup temp file (it's big) that was in the App Data > Local

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_eWOPj-gE6tG4gJh_q-yNXzQKwnY6-ad

After everything I don't hold out much hope but even if you get a few mins to try something that I missed I'd (we'd) really appreciate it. She was working on it for almost a week....

Kinda stalled her love of drawing for the time being. Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No luck I'm afraid, hopefully she'll learn the importance of having backups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked in a HEX editor to view the actual data as well, but unfortunately the entire file consists of 00 bytes - meaning, it is filled with zeros, and is, for all intents and purposes, empty of relevant or meaningful data.

Just like you discovered. It's a lost file, and entered the digital halls of file Valhalla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS perhaps install some kind of automated backup utility to take care of things in the background while your wife is working. Don't tell her, though. 🙂

When things get messed up again (and they will, happened to my wife as well!), you become her Most Beloved Knight on a White Horse Saviour Hubby.

And for the love of ... Get that battery replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do my darnedest. What automated backup tool do you use? That sounds like a great idea

Also seeing all those Zeros with the Hex Editor that was the moment when I thought " All this is over my head" and more than likely the two files are just really large empty nothings... great..

Thanks anyway

EDIT: Looks like just the .psd is blanked. The temp backup that photoshop makes isn't and is actual populated with the usual nonsense that you'd expect to see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found an answer for this in the forum. All I had to do is go to settings and make sure ps had access to ALL my photos! I'll be curious if this helps others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines