Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop does not recognize this type of file

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I encountered this problem earlier in the day when trying to open a CR2 file off my network (NAS): "File could not be opened due to a disk error." I searched some forums and found a few tips, none of which worked. I did however encounter a new error after a few tries of opening the file. The error was: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognise this type of file".

I'm not sure what has changed, but this has never happended before. I have always been able to open CR2 files directly off my NAS.

In case there was a problem with the CR2 file, I copied it across to my MacBook. Photoshop opened the CR2 without a hitch. What the heck? It also seems specific to CR2 files, as I can open a JPEG from my NAS without a problem.

I searched a bit more on the web and came to a recommendation of uninstalling Photoshop, deleting the plugins, restarting my MacBook, then re-installing Photoshop and the plugins. It seemed to work for a while; I opened and edited about 9 CR2 files from my NAS. However now I go to open another CR2 file off my NAS and the same error messages appear. 

Some details on my system:

• MacBook is running Catalina 10.15.1
  • Creative Cloud with Photoshop 2020
  • Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW plugin is the latest 12.0.0.322
  • I have plenty of disk space on both my Mac and NAS (shouldn't be a scratch disk error)

Has anyone here experienced this problem? If so, have you been able to resolve it?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That's not an usual experience with Photoshop as you keep getting an error "could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognise this type of file" while trying to open a CR2 image. Let us help make this right.

Could you please take a look at the solution mentioned in this documentation https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/troubleshoot-camera-raw-photoshop-photoshop.html and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

Thanks for reaching out and for providing the documentaion link. This set of instructions is what I mentioned that I followed (I couldn't recall the link address). It worked for a time, but then the same error messages occurred.

I even decided to download the previous version of Adobe Camera RAW plugin (11.xxx) to see if that would help (refer to this link), but to no avail - at first I was able to open a CR2 file from my NAS, but then opening the next CR2 image gave an error message.

Working on my photos again last night I discovered (I think) that the error messages occur for specific CR2 files, not all. I'm going to list CR2 files that result in an error, and then try them again at another time. The other thing I noticed was that if I opened (double-clicked) a CR2 file from my NAS before the preview image in Finder loaded, the error message would appear. On a couple of occassions, if I allowed the preview image to load and then double-clicked the CR2 file to open it, it opened in Photoshop without error. This is not a solution in any form, but it seems I am getting a bit more specific as to when the error messages occur.

Based on what I've observed, I think the summary is as follows:

• Scratch disk should not be an issue as there is plenty of space on both my MacBook and NAS;
  • For the record, I am using a LAN connection to my NAS, not using the WiFi connection from my modem/router (will try tho);
  • Adobe Camera RAW plugin does not seem to be the problem;
  • Opening any CR2 file on my MacBook is not a problem;
  • Making a copy of the CR2 file that won't open from my NAS and placing it on my MacBook and then opening it, results in no error message;
  • Opening any JPEG file, on my MacBook or my NAS, is not a problem;
  • Opening some CR2 files from my NAS is a problem. Not every CR2 file results in an error message;
  • On occassion it seems if I allow the preview image of the file to load in Finder, then try to open the file from my NAS, no error message arises

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a one-week trial version of Lightroom CC plus Photoshop (so I presume it's the latest versions) running on MACOS, and get a similar message on some of my .CR2 files (from a Canon SL1).  I can see the preview and - in my view important - I can open these files using Affinity Photo (Adobe competitor). 

Addendum: I used MACOS Finder to make a duplicate copy of a sample file: XXX.CR2->XXX copy.CR2, and the latter file loaded without an error message.  This seems like a tedious way to get Photoshop to recognize the 'type' of file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a usual thing that happens.  Its happenend to me multiple times.  Photoshop works fine, then it suddenly gets glitchy and comes up with this response.  So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens all the time.  It is totally "usual". Photoshop, fix this so it stops. We pay for the subscription, fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going through the exact issue right now. I'm also finding PS seems to be corrupting files from the past that I try to open. I did a test today with my regular cameras , canon 1DX mark II and a 1DX opened CR2 images using canon Digital Photo Pro 4 only. No problems at all.  As soon as I attempted to open using PS 2021 I got the same message of Adobe not recognising this type of file, then the thumbnails showed a ?   This is driving me crazy. I have loads of editing to do but I'm too scared to use PS as it may corrupt all of my raw files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, specifically opening NEF raw files from my NAS, but. . annoyingly some files will open and some wont. . there seems to be no pattern. Running Mac 11.3.1 and PDS 22.4.2  (these issues have been with me off and on for the past few months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@justinh66725178 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I encountered this problem earlier in the day when trying to open a CR2 file off my network (NAS): "File could not be opened due to a disk error."

In case there was a problem with the CR2 file, I copied it across to my MacBook. Photoshop opened the CR2 without a hitch. What the heck? It also seems specific to CR2 files, as I can open a JPEG from my NAS without a problem.

Has anyone here experienced this problem? If so, have you been able to resolve it?

Hi @justinh66725178 , @Aitcheeboy , and @mattt61048296 

What you experienced is to be expected when working across a network directly. Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk. See this help file for full details and read the error messages you may get. Note that the problems may be intermittent.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

The recommended workflow is this:

"Technical Support strongly recommends working in Photoshop directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then transfer them to the network or removable drive in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. To retrieve files, copy them in the Finder or in Windows Explorer from the network or removable drive to your hard disk. You can then open the files in Photoshop. This workflow avoids problems that occur when network system setups or removable media device drivers are incompatible with the operating system or Photoshop."

You did the right thing to copy the file to your MacBook, where it opened without a hitch. The risk is not only not being able to open a file, but actually damaging it. We see too many of these reports on these forums.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

I am having the same issue. Some CR2 files won't open in photoshop, whereas others shot at the same time will. I have tried working from our server and hard drive to no avail. 

Photoshop 22.4.2 / Camera Raw 13.3 / Camera Nikon EOS 5DSR

This is a new issue for us and we are working every day with the same kit. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks, 

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain and it is annoying that the response is "it is not a usual thing that happens."  so. not. true.  Has happenend to me multiple times and it is stressful and annoying when trying to deliver images to clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens all the time...... Akash.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Iw as encountering the same problem and in the end (after all the hacks that were suggested), I found out it was because my Dropbox files were online only. That meant the files were not physically present on my hard drive. Maybe it will help somebody in the future. Downloading the files did the trick. But just to indicate that the error message also arrises in cases where all other things are ok. (CR3 files on a freshly updated Photoshop 2023 version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines