Highlighted

Photoshop extremely slow on high performance PC when using custom shapes

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

This issue is driving me kind of insane at the moment but I will try to keep my cool.  I am taking a digital painting class that relies heavily on using custom shapes for creating textures. Basically, when I bring in a custom shape to the canvas, it gets lags heavily.  It is somewhat survivable but super frustrating.  However, if I try to distort these textures in any way, the lag is unbearable and sometimes will just freeze the program.  This should not be happening on my system.

I am running photoshop CC 2020.
 Just to ensure you all it is not my PC...I just built it and it runs newest games on ultra over 60+ fps.  16 GB of ram, the graphics card is a GTX 2070, processor is an intel i7 9700k.  I have a SSD of 1TB and an HDD which is 2 TB.  So, it has to be photoshop or my performance settings.    

I attached my photoshop performance settings, but I have played around with these a lot to no avail. Also, before you suggest checking my scratch disks, both my SSD and HDD are checked.

Can anyone please help?? I am going crazy.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop extremely slow on high performance PC when using custom shapes

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

This issue is driving me kind of insane at the moment but I will try to keep my cool.  I am taking a digital painting class that relies heavily on using custom shapes for creating textures. Basically, when I bring in a custom shape to the canvas, it gets lags heavily.  It is somewhat survivable but super frustrating.  However, if I try to distort these textures in any way, the lag is unbearable and sometimes will just freeze the program.  This should not be happening on my system.

I am running photoshop CC 2020.
 Just to ensure you all it is not my PC...I just built it and it runs newest games on ultra over 60+ fps.  16 GB of ram, the graphics card is a GTX 2070, processor is an intel i7 9700k.  I have a SSD of 1TB and an HDD which is 2 TB.  So, it has to be photoshop or my performance settings.    

I attached my photoshop performance settings, but I have played around with these a lot to no avail. Also, before you suggest checking my scratch disks, both my SSD and HDD are checked.

Can anyone please help?? I am going crazy.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest Nvidia device driver installed. Installed for you GTX?  Did turning off use GPU perform better?

I have to admit I have 40GB of RAM  installed so more than you but the rest of my machine is lower then your's like my processors are only 2GHZ the slowest  that meets PS requirements. I running Windows 10 and  PS 21.1.1.   I just opened a  new 6000x6000px document and used the Custom shape tool with a very complex custom shape.  The tools Performance was not instantaneous there was perhaps a 1 or 2 second lag dragging out the shape.  I would not call that extremely slow considering how complex the shape is. I have an Nvidia Quadro K2200 display adapted not a high end quadro.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMAck!

Thanks so much for the response.  Unchecking "use gpu" does prevent the program from freezing entirely, but it is still extremely slow when trying to resize the shape at all.  And yes, drivers are up to date!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia has 3 device drivers on their web site for their geforce adapted the default game ready driver, the Beta driver, and the Studio Driver. They state the studio diver is more stable and tested with application like Adobe's

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop performance was great and feature complete in 2015. After that there have been only superficial updates while the performance has consistently dwindled down. What is worst is that the official reply is always for the user to update their machine, update their graphics card, tamper with the registry etc. Adobe nowadays dishes out half tested updates after another much like Microsoft and users have become the paying betatesters who are datamined for more profit. The whole business logic has turned from user endedness to user resourcefulness and it is appalling.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With every technological advancement there is equal amount of software bloat to counter it, so we never see better performance but more useless processes taking the freed up room. Creative Cloud has multiple processes in the background taking valuable resources and it is pretty much an installed marketing team constantly monitoring your every input 'Now the user is moving the cursor up, he is clicking on the box, now moving right.. processing, sending data to servers, feeding the AI project, selling data on market.' Instead of improved elegance using new technologies there is bloat, smoke and mirrors topped with all your doings being sold on the personal data market.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When basic functionality like moving or adjusting a curve handle freezes up the whole computer one can only ask: What is this software centered on anymore?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post your Photoshop menu Help>System Info....  I have 7 year old Dell workstation that has two 6 core xeon processors they are only 2Ghz the minimum speed  the meets Photoshop requirements. It has a 256GB SSD,  40GB of ECC RAM, and a Nvidia Quadro k2200 display adapter. 

I have no preferences issue adjusting  Path Handles.  The Task manager shows little use of CPU. Adjusting control points  is instantaneous.  Transforming a full path like the Opera house is instantaneous.  Transforming an extremely complex portrait path with many closed sub paths is not instantaneous there is a slight delay I would say less than a second.

Windows 10 2004 up to date, Wacom, Nvidia, Logitech and all other device drivers up to date and  Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4.

Capture.jpg

As I stated I did see lag transforming the complex portrait  path. Here I was continuous transforming it up and down in size for 15 to 20 seconds. You can see some GPU was used and one core was being worked hard.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0