• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop file disappeared after being saved

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a project for several days and I saved it each time before leaving my laptop, but today when I went on the file was nowhere to be found. On the other day's when I would open Photoshop the file would be in the "recent files" tab and I could continue where I left off. I've tried searching under all my files on my MacBook but I still cannot find it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Assuming you remember what you named the file, you can search for it using the Spotlight Search on your MacBook. It will be somewhere on your laptop unless you:

A) saved it to a server or external drive that you are not currently mounted to. This could be dropbox, or Creative Cloud files library, or

B) accidentally deleted the file, or the folder it was saved into

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you remember what you named the file, you can search for it using the Spotlight Search on your MacBook. It will be somewhere on your laptop unless you:

A) saved it to a server or external drive that you are not currently mounted to. This could be dropbox, or Creative Cloud files library, or

B) accidentally deleted the file, or the folder it was saved into

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

When such thing happens to me (I do not remember where I saved, I usually create a new document, then try to save it, to find the folder you previously saved into.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip. I've done that a few times myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this same problem, and tried exactly what you just mentioned assuming it would bring up the same last location i used to save a file, but when i saw the file it shows i last saved a file into, i go to look for the folder, find it but the folder comes up empty, and also when going through photoshop recent files list and click on the name of the file i am attemmping to finish the name simply disappears and i get an error message that states the file was not found. if 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an older thread but have two such incidences happen in my student lab in recent weeks. The first was a project we had worked on several different sessions. The file was missing when student went to hand it in. I took it as an operator error. Today it happened on a seperate computer. I know the file was created several days ago. Was opened and used yesterday but today nowhere to be found. On the home screen there is a several week gap in the recent file history. Under Open Recent none of the files from yesterday are listed. The file also no longer exhists in the folder where it had been saved. Each user has their own login so another user did not have access to this computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been teaching Photoshop for 20 years and this is the first time I have been experiencing the same thing as GD_Teach.  This is the first time this has ever happened to my students and it is very frustrating.  They definitely saved their projects.  The next day it is gone!  I dont know who to ask for help because no one at my school uses Photoshop and they wouldnt understand what is happening.  Anyone out there have an answer????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all: _don't_ use or rely on the recent files list!! It doesn' show the real location of the file, it' s just a dead link to wherever it was first saved. Use a proper file explorer.

Was it saved to desktop? Is that desktop in MS/Apple cloud, which you can now do, or is it local disk? Cloud desktop is known to cause this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse, thank you for the reply.  Those are some really good points.  Our school just upgraded to Photoshop CC this year, so it makes sense that the problem might be the file was accidentally saved to the cloud.  When my student checked the cloud, there werent any documents saved there.  When I asked him where he saved it, he wasnt sure.  He did work on it for several days before it disappeared so I know it was saved at some point.  I suppose it is possible that he deleted it but I dont believe that is the case.  

Does anyone have any other ideas of where a missing document could be found??  Thanks so much for the suggestions!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My situation was similar. I did extensive searches trying to figure this out and never came up with a good answer. The wierd time gap, of a couple weeks, that showed on the open screen was the only other oddness that showed there was something more than a lost file going on. I did find one source that sent me into the Photoshop Program files but it didn't help in our case. From what I read from others it appears this is a known error with no known solutions which has made all my students phobic about losing their work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no known error, and you should be phobic about losing work. You should teach them that. The way to deal with it is to pay attention to where you save to. I'm constantly amazed at how so many people can't even tell where they saved the file to. The "recent files" list is not file management. A logical folder tree structure and a proper file browser is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.57.45 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem just now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse,

While I can appreciate your passion in this answer you should also consider that by the sheer number of complaints there could truly be an issue here. I for one believe that there is!!! While I would not consider myself a professional PS user I do know how and where to save all of my files and I backup those folders often. Yet, even when I go back to this same exact folder in Finder I see that those files have mysteriously disappeared. Even stranger, I can attempt to open these files from within PS and navigate to this same folder and clearly see the files but again if I go to this folder directly from Finder they are not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Photoshop since version 7.0 (yeah, I know, I was late to the game). In my current job, I manage an archive of close to 10 TB of my own photographs. In addition I have a private archive of 4 TB or so. I've been doing this for 8 hours a day for a long time, on many days shooting several hundred images.

I have never, ever, experienced a file "disappear". Not once. I have, however, misplaced a few because I didn't pay attention to the path in the Save dialog. But I always found them quickly by initiating a new save and noticing where it wanted to go. That's where the missing file is.

The only cases of disappearing files I have heard about that sound plausible, are users saving to the desktop, with a cloud-based desktop - whether Apple or Microsoft. I understand that's possible these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite late to the discussion here but I'm having a simillar issue the file I have spent days on has completely vanished without a trace of its existance also I can confirm that:

The file has definately been saved multiple times
The file was saved to a dedicated folder in 'Documents'
The file was never moved
The file was never manally deleted
I have done full directory searches with the files name and even .PSD
I have used powerful recovery tools to look for the deleted file and throughout my entire system it is absolutely knowhere to be found

If there is something major I'm missing hear then please do tell me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is that a cloud-based user account?

IIRC, the last time I installed Windows I had to specifically point the user account to the local machine. By default it wants to go to cloud storage.

I'm not sure where the documents folder goes in that case (I don't use it) - but I wouldn't be surprised if that goes to the cloud too. It is under the user account and sits in that main folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same has happened to me! Searched my pc, dropbox and external hard-drive. Major file of mine has vanished!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how and why but this just happened to me. I loaded a file from an SSD but as it was quite huge (multiple artboards) I decided to duplicate some artboards to a new canvas. Closed the big document, responded "Yes" to save the changes, then noticed it was very slow, and then remembered I didn't actually change anything, I just duplicated some artboards onto a new canvas. So I hit escape to cancel out of the saving process, closed the window. Now the whole file is gone. This shouldn't have happened since I should still have the old version of the file, but it isn't anywhere. Tried searching by filename, but to no avail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, check in your scratch disk if there is an autorecover folder.

Also, you can check in: c:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC###\Autorecover

or Mac: [user library]>Application Support>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CC####>Autorecover

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED FOR ME: I found my file because of your advice on where to check so THANK YOU! I remembered key words in my file name but despite several searches the file was not showing up in the results. I had saved this file several times, over several different days, on my computer in my creative cloud files and there was no history of it locally or online even though I was signed in with no syncing issues. This is my second bad experience with creative cloud not saving or storing versions of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This exact thing happened to me right now! Did you find a fix? Please help. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file doesn't show up although it exists. This is extra weird. I have a file i am working on that is located on a external disk. Everything was fine with other files but this one does not appear in the folder it exists. I can reopen it from recent files but the folder it is in doesn't show it. This happens with everything i have exported from it. I exported an png sequence in a new creted folder from the photoshop window. That folder doesn't show also or the files it contains. But they exist and i can open them from finder search. If i want to "save as" i can see all the "invisible" files there.

I solved the issue by saving it in different disk. On the external disk didn't work (i have enough free space). I saved on the desktop and now i can see it. I have no idea why it is happening. All other psd files work fine on the external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that this is an Apple Catalina issue for those of us using a Mac? I only ask as I just noticed the same issue with Adobe Acrobat DC. I did a "save as" and like the message posted by IoanaDesign I can see the files in the recently opened lists and I can also see other hidden files grayed out. When I go to finder I see none of these. Or since this is also an Adobe product is it still an Adobe issue?

Thanks!

Steve Lewis
[email removed by moderator]

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can confirm that im running catalina. since upgrading this has happened at least 4 times - twice this weekend alone. never experienced  this issue prior. 

i also upgraded to cc around the same time, so it could be some cocktail of in communication between the two new softwares... though, lets just blame it on catalina..

has anyone found a resolve? i would love to not start from scratch, but i also really need to get paid. ha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines