Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop File Size Increasing by 3x After Saving

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Community,

I'm running into a strange error with a project I'm currently working on. In the bottom left corner of the Photoshop window, where it shows your document size, PS is telling me that I'm currently at 469 MB. However, upon saving out, the file ends up at a whopping 1.6 gigs.

I've been using Photoshop for years in my profession, and I haven't done anything different as far as my workflow goes with this particular file. It's actually one of many files that I created for a coworker that all use the same elements for the most part, so I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around this one.

Anyone have idea ideas? I can share the file if need be. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Photoshop's document size indicator is a simple calculation based on pixels x 3 for 8 bits/channel (or x 6 for 16 bit)  x layers.

However in that count, smart objects are counted as a single layer and the count does not take into account their content , which can be multiple layers and even further nested smart objects.

This can lead to a much bigger , and more realistic, file size when the file is saved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The may be a large abount of ancestor meta data you can   stript

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/calculating-file-size/m-p/11674163 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, JJMack.

So I believe I ran the script properly according to your previous post; however, I'm not seeing any decrease in file size. If you care to give it a shot, here's the a download to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ro1py4y5pjtx9t/lineup_updated.psd?dl=0

I appreciate your help already, nonetheless!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop's document size indicator is a simple calculation based on pixels x 3 for 8 bits/channel (or x 6 for 16 bit)  x layers.

However in that count, smart objects are counted as a single layer and the count does not take into account their content , which can be multiple layers and even further nested smart objects.

This can lead to a much bigger , and more realistic, file size when the file is saved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That definitely makes sense to me. I do have multiple smart objects throughout the file; however it's such a dramatic increase in size that I felt like it had to be an error. It very well could be just that - I just know that I've made files similar in the past that never scaled up to that size. I'm going to rasterize all of them now as a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it looks like we have a winner. The smart objects are to make the job easier for the one who will be updating the files, as there are three different artboards at different sizes. I guess he'll just have to update them manually one by one!!

Thank you for talking this sense into me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem. That document size indicator can be misleading unless you realise how it is calculated 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines