• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

The basis is that Adobe isn't pursuing that market.

Quite often individuals believe they can think of things that others haven't thought of.  Occasionally that's true, but c'mon, in today's connected world do you really think no one in the big corporation has ever considered Linux?  In the end the opinions of a few geeks don't matter; what matters are the studies done and business plans created.

This probably doesn't need saying, but...  In case you haven't noticed, Adobe DOES have quite a few bright people.

-Noel

Even if it was considered behind the scenes, we have nothing. There's no official statement or response to the idea and complete ignorance. I have no idea how adobe works as a company, and I don't think its relevant if some geek there once suggested it. I would like to know what Adobe, as a company, thinks about the idea - are they considering it for the future, are they merely thinking about it, are they completely dismissing the idea, do they think there's potential in the market, are they willing to work with the open source community to try and develop stable wine ports, etc.

Throw us a bone. We'd really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no official statement or response to the idea and complete ignorance.

While Mr.Cox’ numerous statements on the issue may not have been made in an official capacity I don’t think they/their content quite chime with "complete ignorance".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course it is possible. Somehow Adobe very stubborn about linux based OS/Operating Systems. So I'm a "-1" customer for Adobe Photoshop, if Adobe cares. İf it was released on linux, probably I'm a cloud subscriber if GOD wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the virtual machine would be your best shot and it is not the hardest thing to do there are many easy to follow step by step tutorials to follow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure if all the windows machine out there were to convert to linux  Adobe would follow suit for the marketplace is there then. So start converting all those windows user out there.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they should really add it to Linux. I am a recent Ubuntu user, just switched! But I am also a really good photo editor as a second job. But I need Photoshop because this is the one I am most used to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a HTML5 Game developer in Spain. I work on WebGL, Canvas2D, HTML, CSS and other related technologies (Node.js, Meteor, etc). Also I'm a C++ programmer.

In my daily work I need photoshop for communicate with Art department, but I dont have a linux version of it. Since 2 years I want to migrate to Linux. The only tool that stop me from migrate completely is Photoshop. I always ask to friend for use his photoshop.

I don't want to buy a license of a program that don't work in my favourite OS.

I hope that Adobe make a linux version of photoshop. I will buy it!

I realize that this post has become a flame war, but my only hope is that Adobe realizes that it have in its hands the growth of Linux in a significant percentage.

If Adobe port Photoshop and other tools to linux, many people migrate to linux.

Now I will investigate krita an his layer effects.

Regards,

David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidbm wrote:

Hi,

I realize that this post has become a flame war, but my only hope is that Adobe realizes that it have in its hands the growth of Linux in a significant percentage.

David  you state growth of Linux is a significant percentage.  Percentage depends on  what you comparing its growth to.  To itself to the Personal computer market to user satisfaction,  To the server market, to the end user market. Some of the  percentages may be quite impressive. Some not so impressive.

While you think this flame war.  I think is all about money cost and return.

If only some Linux users would opt for a cloud end user licence how significant is that number. What is that number magnatude.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Sorry, I don't want to criticize to anyone.

I know that is a revenues subject, but I really think that Adobe can get some benefits from porting photoshop to linux.

Examples:

- People fan to open source using adobe products in their open source OS. I don't know how many people are but in web world are many.

- Corporate/Marketing image. Now Adobe has a very bad image (Flash outdated in linux and not in mobiles, bugs and security failures, etc) and release adobe products in Linux can give a 'change' breath.  A breath of fresh air.

I know that Adobe is a company and I don't have right to critic her politics. I only say that I hope that Adobe reconsider this.

P.S.: the flame war is because the stupid arguments from people asking for photoshop in Linux that believe themselves that her opinion must be considered by Adobe... because yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidBM wrote:

I really think that Adobe can get some benefits from porting photoshop to linux.

Corporate/Marketing image. Now Adobe has a very bad image (Flash outdated in linux and not in mobiles, bugs and security failures, etc) and release adobe products

Adobe could could easily tarnish their image further by releasing a buggy linux version of Photoshop. IMO to improve its image Adobe need to fix the bugs in their current products before entering new markets.  Adobe will not do that so perhaps you got a shot.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidBM wrote:

P.S.: the flame war is because the stupid arguments from people asking for photoshop in Linux that believe themselves that her opinion must be considered by Adobe... because yes.

Could you translate what you meant in that nonsensical paragraph into plain English please?  The editor on this forum site often eats things, and I suspect you may have intended to say something meaningful.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of civility in forums everywhere, including, sadly, on the Adobe forums of late, is one reason I avoid most all forums except the Adobe ones. I only visit here because I want to try to help other users when I can. Chris, I do not understand why DocPixel would say something as nasty as "Adobe's programming chops seem to have left with the last generation of retirees" -- it certainly added nothing to the discussion, nor do I think it can be demonstrated. You certainly replied with equanimity.

I am consistently impressed by the improvements in PS, and I have been using it since CS, so I am not exactly unfamiliar with older versions. The current CC is as good or better as any previous version, IMHO, and I love using it on a daily basis. I have had about two crashes in the last 6 months. There are plenty of us who admire your work and the work of your colleagues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not open source photoshop?

By sharing only parts of the source code, and using a fitting license you can open up the possibility for people to improve the software for Adobe, including porting it and fixing bugs, without risking plagiarism of the code and\or stealing. This is also the trending business models nowadays - make most of the money from subscriptions and cloud storage\support, while providing the tools themselves for a low price.

You can even test this theory by releasing the code for photoshop or any other program, and then gradually release the rest of the cc suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, releasing source code never results in someone else taking it and using it for profit.  How could anyone ever think that someone would do so?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean you will not give me your company's source of revenue.  Please open source your code it will be so good test you will see an immediate loss could be a good write off.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Oh yes, releasing source code never results in someone else taking it and using it for profit.  How could anyone ever think that someone would do so?

-Noel

Actually no. Ubuntu is entirely open source. So is Android and Chrome (which is based on the open-source chromium). Both are backed by large companies who are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts and are making profits out of cloud services and the like (much like Adobe these days).

There are companies who expand on the source code for profit (Tizen for example) but those aren't actually a threat to the original code (and both companies have various licenses they can and do use to protect against those who blindly copy their code - nobody can make an Ubuntu OS for sale and get away without legal consequences unless they do a big do-over)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not trying to beat a dead horse here but thats basically what we have to do at this point to try and get ANY attention driven to this. its really sad that this topic is four years old and during AskAdobeCare this is where i got told to go. really adobe? four years old and you still havent seen that there is a fair amount of interest in having your product on an open platform. i would even be willing to pay a little more per month on my CC subscription if it meant i could have a linux version that was actively worked on. even if it didnt get the latest updates right away, just get a version working there. start with that. release a freaking trimmed free version to work out some bugs we all know that you are going to have. and let us help you develop the product we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2014 Dec 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris's response above is completely ridiculous.  I find it patently offensive as a customer and as a prospect who's company would purchase Linux based licenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris's response above is completely ridiculous.

Could you please elaborate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your information, Chris Cox is a top Adobe engineer who has been writing Photoshop code since the last millennium.

He was commenting on a post which indeed had provided me with a hearty laugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2015 Jan 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future reference, one-liners are manifestations of arrogance.

Anyway, I played around with Linux for a few years but hadn't used it as my primary desktop OS until Valve produced native Linux support. Getting photoshop to run in WINE is a hassle and doesn't work 100% how it should. VM's are also a pain. Like everyone says, just support one distro.

Who wanted an iPhone in 2003? No one, because it did not yet exist. Ever hear of "if you build it they will come?" Valve's efforts have sinced catalyzed Linux support from some mid-to-large sized game developers/publishers. A Linux-native Metro 2033 Redux is now available, and that's a big title. In the end, study or no study, the only way to really know what kind of sales Adobe would get on Linux would be to release a Linux port. One thing's for sure, don't expect people to pay for something that's going to half run in some hacked WINE setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2015 Jan 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future reference, one-liners are manifestations of arrogance.

Are you trying to be funny by expressing an opinion about one-liners in one line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2015 Jan 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here I thought one-liners were an (unwelcome) outgrowth of instant messaging.  Who knew arrogance was involved? 

Does anyone really think video games matter?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2015 Jan 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I drew a parallel between games and Photoshop. Since Valve decided to officially support Linux there have been some big titles that have been ported -- games not published under Valve, which of course, makes gamers more inclined to make the switch to Linux. The more gamers that go to Linux the more Linux game sales publishers will see. A positive feedback loop, if you will. What I thought I conveyed is, Adobe's pie charts of desktop Linux users (and projected sales) wouldn't look like it does now if they ported Photoshop to Linux. As many have stated, it's the one program holding them back from switching to the OS they'd rather use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without reading all, doesn't the latest Photoshop run in Chrome browser on Linux (also win and mac)?

Votes

Translate

Translate