Photoshop for Linux

Explorer ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Windows 10 is more Mickey Mouse (telephone) OS, many people need possibility to use Photoshop on PC under more serious operating system.  How about Photoshop for Linux?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016
You are certainly not alone with that wish Photoshop for Linux OS? But Adobe offering and supporting Photoshop for a third platform seems highly unlikely.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are certainly not alone with that wish

Photoshop for Linux OS?

But Adobe offering and supporting Photoshop for a third platform seems highly unlikely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also

Photoshop: Provide support for Linux | Photoshop Family Customer Community

where you could add your vote, but the responses by Adobe employees do not seem encouraging – which some Linux proponents seem to have problems with …

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacek#01 wrote:

many people need possibility to use Photoshop on PC under more serious operating system. How about Photoshop for Linux?

How many people would that be?  Linux users are devout but still trail Mac in useage. OSX like Linux is a Unix like OS. Perhaps you should convert to Apple. OS Statistics

Operating system market share

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather on Greenland ice melts as I convert to apple.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then we have to buy Apple Hardware, and I hate the design of their hardware, and how closed-off everything is.  I'm sure many in the Linux camp are not excited about giving up most of their freedom; though it is certainly preferable to Windows in nearly every way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOw many people only use Win or Mac because of Adobe?

I also have Linux, but most of the time I am using Win, cause I need to work with Adobe.

The future is Linux.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is Unix OS design  which has been around since the 196x timeframe developed in Bell Labs.   IBM even made a Linux Watch in 1998-2004 I do not see the Linux winning the Watch market place any more than it is winning in the desktop market wars or tablet wars.    Unix seems to have won the server wars though.

Unix is more suited for the professional computer geek's then the masses it has not been developed for the masses its like 50 years old now.

Apple stopped developing their own OS when Steve switch Mac from the IBM power PC to Intel  hardware.  He had use Unix at Nextstep and knew it was better than  Apples OS7 and OS9.  So at the same time he  switched Apple to OSuniX.   Unix design is very flexible there is even a Linux flavor.

To win in the desktop market unix needs a good desktop shell  like apple has developed, good device support and good update support.    Apple has put many constraints on what they will approve so their users see applications with common user interfaces a more consistent user experience then Apple came out with IOS devices which made life more difficult sharing except for some cloud features. All sort hoops are needed to share files between systems. Apple has also had problem with newer Mac releases High Sierra and  Mojave.

The most used OS runs on a Linux kernel  Android however the horse power and device support needed for an Application like Photoshop  is not there.  Adobe stated they will have Photoshop CC app for iPad pro in 2019 however it will not has all the features of Desktop Mac Photoshop CC so Adobe may also develop a Android flavor of Photoshop CC.   Still how many users only use low power devices like Android and IOS devices. I believe IOS Photoshop will  be mainly used  as a interim step the real Photoshop work will continue to be done on Window and Mac machines.

Sill you could argue Linux is the most used OS when you include low power devices.

IMO Photoshop requires a desktop class machine Windows is more consumer orientated when it come to machine and device support manufactures support windows. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all of them, Linux with KDE desktop beats both Windows and MacOSX in user experience single-handedly. My ten years old son is using it without a problem daily and when he saw what MacOSX on my company macbook does, he laughed to tears.

Support of applications or devices is a different story - that's up to producers. Those who do support can sell, those who do not may be surprised that once they decide there will be good enough open source tools (or even commercial but supported) good enough and the demand is gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more ... here is another argument for you ... the money that I am supposed to spend on Windows, I'd rather spend it on Adobe PhS+LTR. The old argument that Linux people do not want to spend money on software, well, it doesn't hold anymore especially with the release of Windows 10... That, people, said it all.

Adobe, pretty please, at least Photoshop + Lightroom ... on Linux.
here's another thought... if PhaseOne, tomorrow, released its Capture One 9 Pro for Linux, I'd ditch Windows and Adobe... in one swift move ... and I am pretty sure, I wouldn't be the only one. Adobe, catch my drift ???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to build a much stronger business case than some simple coffee shop chat and a few anecdotes.

Even CIO.com do not see any immediate future for Adobe Cloud on Linux desktops

11 predictions for Linux in 2016 | CIO

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the contribution John, never been a fan of predictions myself ...

I just happened to be in a coffee shop when I decided to share my thoughts with you guys ...

I have never been keen on fanboys either, as a matter of fact ... How's your take on the PS latest news ? Inspiring, don't you think ?
Capture One keeps looking a lot better by the minute ...

So much for a stronger business case ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the horrible Windows 10 Anniversary Update I am just waiting for adobe and autodesk to move to linux and all other companies, pixologic, allegorithmic, and quixel, to follow that move before I fully switch to linux. Why dont you act like the forward thinking company and make the move first before everyone else...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually there was a UNIX Photoshop 3 over 20 years ago. Just saying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup exactly you said it. 20 years ago, I'm pretty sure windows 10 didn't exist 20 years but correct me if I'm wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current Unix verions did not exist 20 years ago either. Windows 1.0 was officially released on November 20, 1985 so it is younger compaired to Unix which was running in 1970 on the PDP-11/20 at Bell Labs.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though Windows 1.0 was just a layer on MS DOS. For a better comparison, perhaps look at X Windows, which is a layer on UNIX/Linux. Windows 1.0 - 1985. X Windows - 1984. One advantage on Linux/UNIX is that X Windows is generic, with features added by the desktop manager. And if you think it's junk you are free to use or create another.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for Linux support.

No Linux support says to me that Adobe do not really care about their product or users that much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like most businesses Adobe main concern is to make a profit. Before they support additional platforms  Adobe needs to fix the bugs in their products for the platforms they support. That would improve their image and profits more than supporting additional platforms with their current ported code with additional bugs..   Photoshop has many bugs.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are a lazy, money-grabbing monopoly who refuse to support the wider user base.

It's a very sad state of affairs they've let it go on this long.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are a lazy, money-grabbing monopoly who refuse to support the wider user base.

Adobe is not a monopoly.

Alternatives to Adobe programs exist and Adobe probably has a considerable interest in not achieving monopoly-status as that could entail unpalatable legal consequences for them.

As for money – that’s what corporations are after generally. So if there was a serious argument to be made that a Linux release of Photoshop would make Adobe money they probably would do it …

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatives to Adobe programs do not really exist, let's be honest.

Therefore, it's on them to support their users.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default6t75pcstai03 wrote:

Can you name a single competitor on photoshop ?

Corel PhotoPaint and Affinity to start. You can do a Google search to find others.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one basic problem:

Linux users are Linux users because they don't want to pay for software. That's the whole point, isn't it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are Linux users that would pay. The problem is  would developing a Linux version add to Adobe bottom line  or not.  Development and support cost are not trivial.  Adobe would need to see a sound business forecast that shows there would be a profit. Forecast the numbers of Linux users that will subscribe

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines