Photoshop freezing at 99% when saving file.

Hi. At about a week long I cant save files with smart objects and smart effects. Saving always freezing at 99% and force quit is needed. After Im not able to start PS and I need to restart mac. All the changes I made are lost of course. Is it a bug or is there any solution? Thx

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: Photoshop freezing at 99% when saving file.

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 08, 2019

Hi, we are sorry that you are experiencing problems with Adobe Photoshop. Could you please provide us with more information that is inconsistent with the characteristics of your PC and the version of Photoshop you are using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Having the same 99% stuck issues. Frustrating beyond belief.

Have PS 2020, Imac Catalina. Installed update 21.0.2 Even upgraded the Imac's ram.

Seems to be an issue with especially large PSD files. Gets stuck at 99% and you need to reboot the entire computer.

Most of the time the PSD file is then completely unusable and looks corrupt (all colors mixed etc).

Hours of work LOST. This issue needs fixing on Adobe's side NOW to work well with Catalina.

Frankly, I prefer not to read about a blamegame catalina/Adobe,  As a customer, I just want this to work well.

Please fix this A.S.A.P thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Exactly my issue only mine freezes at 73% and no error messages! I waited hours to see if it would eventually save. Nope. I had to restart computer. The file looked the same as you're describing. Horizontal multicoloured lines! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Tina,

The only thing I do see is that it seems a bit better when using smaller sized PSD files.

Also turn on your activity monitor (mac) and close other programs like safari etc who take a lot of ram.

I have 24GB ram now yet it still seems to be an issue.

Please share new experiences. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Henri

www.tooninyourhead.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 02, 2020

Are any of you saving directly to an external drive?

If so, please read through this thread as it has been covered extensively.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have read this thread. The only reference to a solution I've seen is to save to my local drive and then copy to my external hard drive. This is impractical. I have given read and write permissions to PhotoShop for my external hard drive; yet still freezes at 99%. Please tell us how to fix the problem. Thanks. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Part of the issues are due to the formatting of the external drive after Catalina updates.

Reformatting the drive to a compatible format resolves that issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250727433 

However, others have reported general slow downs on their external drives.

This article goes into details to resolve (without reformatting).

https://appletoolbox.com/mac-macbook-doesnt-recognize-external-drives-troubleshooting-tips/ 

There was another thread on the Adobe forums where someone changed out their USB connection and it resolved.

Either way, a slow drive or not allowing direct write access from Photoshop can cause the stall when saving. IT has nothing to do with RAM or specs other than a recent upgrade to Catalina.

The fact that smaller PSDs save without issue leans me towards the drive slow down issue.

I'm not blindly defending Adobe but in this case it seems to be an issue with Apple and the changes in Catalina. If I weren't having the same issues with larger files from other programs (Excel) I would think it was a Photoshop centric issue as well.

Adobe is aware of the issue and is working to resolve, but if Apple doesn't also make updates to address, I'm not sure what Adobe can do about the system OS. 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

But the thing is, I’m not using Catalina. I’m still using Mojave.

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

For Mojave, have you checked your Apple security and privacy preferences?

You need to make sure Photoshop has all disk access and is in the list and checked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Same here, for now this seems the only -very impractical- solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Same problems and they are major now.  Once the freeze happens the only way to open PS or any again is to reboot the computer - however, that doesn't help as the same problems happen again.  I'm not stuck at home and without PS, LR or Br and it's so sad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 08, 2019

Hi Johnee,

Sorry about your experience. I assume you are using the Photoshop 2020 version. If that is the case, a crash report dialogue box should pop-up when the freeze occur. I suggest, as it requests, you explain in details what you are doing when you have the freezing, and any other relevant information, complete the other requirements of that crash report dialogue box and send the report. 

Best wishes

JG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi, I am having the same issue. My file is saving to 99%...

Hi, I am having the same issue. My file is saving to 99% and not completing the task. Leading me to force quit photoshop and losing all work that has been done.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: Hi, I am having the same issue. My file is saving to 99%...

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 11, 2019

Hi Eghaf,

Sorry to hear about your experience. What version of Photoshop are you using?

Did you get the latest update?

Is it absolutely none of your files saving, or does the first one save and then no other except you quit photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The latest 2020 version. I haven't had this issue prior to updating.

None of the file is saving, and trying to reopen it can only open a recovered file. Then I am unable to quit photoshop as it is still trying to save the file. Which has to make me force quit the program completely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The same here. And I need also to restart the camputer in order to have PS working again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Same here, mac catalina, external SSD and the latest PS & LR.  Do you have a solution for this now? It has destroyed half of today's work for me. 😞 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 06, 2020

Per Adobe's own guidelines be wary about saving to an external/network drive or risk data loss.

It is even more prevelant with Catalina.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html 

Specifically:

"When you save and open files across a network or from removable media, many variables affect application performance. Therefore, some problems occur more frequently when you work across a network or from removable media than from a local hard disk. "

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I've the same issue since I updated to version 21.0.3 I can't save any of my work.. I wish if there is anyway I can sue adobe for all the work i've lost!! it is really frustrating .. more worse when it freezes it ruin the psd file!!Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 4.48.25 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 24, 2020

Again - please read the post this is a catalina issue not Photoshop.

Save to your local HD not a network or external and make sure you have allowed PS access to your HD via Catalina security preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm still having the same issue. It has nothing to do wit...

I'm still having the same issue. It has nothing to do with local HD or Network or whatever you're talking about. 

obeviously, you don't know 1% about the problem. Photoshop requstes to have access to HD via catalina during the first installation. 

FYI, why other versions of photoshop used to work fine with catalina??? and why I can't save my work on external hard disk drive or network ??? 

[abusive text removed by moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 25, 2020

I don't know why some people find it impossible to accept that MacOS can have bugs, or that Apple can have any faults whatsoever. Why is that? I'm really curious about this phenomenon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 27, 2020

@amrh12908706

I have other versions of Photoshop installed with Catalina and each one requires the same security permission in order to write to my local HD.

As for networks or external HD - there is a lot of documentation supporting the fact that the new security policies in Catalina (not Photoshop) are preventing software direct write access without reformatting to a Mac recognized FAT format.

From Apple support:

"Open the Disk Utility software in your /Applications/Utilities folder. Click on the drive in the list of drives in the left-hand side of the window. Then check the bottom of the window for the entry "Partition Map Scheme." Mac OS X Catalina cannot write to disks that are formatted using NTFS partitions, a common format used by Windows computers. There are various methods for enabling this capability, but they require expense or technical expertise; it is easier to copy all files off the NTFS-formatted drive, reformat it for Macintosh use, then copy the files back."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

maybe because none of our other programs or having this issue, hmmmmm imagine that... only adobe issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I recommend you to use alternative photo editing software, here is ultimate list:

https://fixthephoto.com/best-photo-editing-software-for-pc.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 11, 2019

It's a Catalina-specific issue, happening when you try to save directly to an external disk. That is generally not recommended anyway, the safe procedure is to save locally, then move the file over.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi there. I am running Catalina and have the latest updat...

Hi there.

I am running Catalina and have the latest update of PS. Unfortunately it isn't an issue related directly to saving to an external disc. I have been experiencing the same frustrating issue where by ultimately I have to force quit and dump what I have, then followed by a complete reboot of my machine. This is occurring whether I am saving locally or to removable hard drives, icloud or creative cloud destinations.

It is worth noting that while the program seems to have stalled at 99%, it is still possible to continue working (although obviously you cant save the work) you can however continue to 'save for web' with any open file, with the exception of the 99% saving file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Anothermattryan Sorry to hear about you experience. I...

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 15, 2019

Hi Anothermattryan

Sorry to hear about you experience. I note you did not say what version of photoshop you are using. Also you did not say if a crash dialogue box pops up. If one does I suggest you fill it out along with all the info requested including the version photoshop you use along with the info you submitted to this forum. If no crash dialogue box did pop up I suggest on the open application select help, then select photoshop help. On the open page select support, then select contact up and send all the above suggested details to adobe.

If it is a bug it will be fixed with a future update.

Best wishes

JG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: Hi Anothermattryan Sorry to hear about you experience. I...

Hi JG.

I am running the very latest update of Photoshop 2020. I have not had a crash dialogue open in any of the instances when I encounter the stall at 99% saving.  My machine is still functioning and I have usually exported what I can via save for web as this still works, however after I finally force quit the application I am unable to reopen it until such time as I reboot my Mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 15, 2019

Hi Anothermattryan,

Thank you for the update. I thought as much that you were running a photoshop cc 2020. I use pc and had a crash issue also until the last update. I believe it was corrected due to reports I, and possibly others sent to Adobe. Therefore since there is not a crash report dialogue box that pops up in your case, use the other method I suggested to sent the info to Adobe.

Best wishes

JG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Jacqueline jacquelingphoto2017 I see this message written december 15th 2019. It is now the end of february. I have the latest PS update. So why is the problem still there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It has always worked for me with the Samsung T5 USB SSD, until Catalina. This is an issue Adobe has to fix asap. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 06, 2020

If it worked until Catalina - what makes you think it's an Adobe problem?

It has been noted that there are (a lot of) issues saving to external drives when using Catalina.

Users on Mojave do not experience the same issues when using the same version of PS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I can load Adobe PS 19 and have no problem on Catalina. I just lost a second file on 20. Please own this guys and stop playing games.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 07, 2020

This is a Catalina noted issue.

Drives that previously worked are now showing read-only status in Catalina.

https://iboysoft.com/ntfs-for-mac/how-to-solve-external-hard-drive-read-only-mac-without-formatting.... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No, it isn't Catalina specific.  I'm still on Mojave and am having the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I want to repeat, that it's NOT CATALINA.   I'm using Mojave.  

I've been using Photoshop for around 10 years now, and always saved to an external hard drive.  This problem has only occured during the last week or so for me.

What I have done is go back to version  20.0.8 and the problem is not recurring.  

Before I did that, and still on 2020, I would go Close Image, and get the "Do you want to Save before closing"  Click yes then watch the blue progress bar at the bottom left of the image as it was saving, when it got stuck at 99% there was a little x at the right of the bar.  If I clicked on that, which was presumably a "Cancel" button, the file would close, but was also saved OK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Richardn,  Can you say if you experience freezing requ...

Hi Richardn, 

Can you say if you experience freezing requiring restart when you perform the task of clicking on the "x"?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: Hi Richardn,  Can you say if you experience freezing requ...

In my case, I had to "force quit" it. Then it won't launch again unless if I log out or restart my Mac. 
sometimes PS recovers the files & in most cases it does NOT. More worse, it damages the source file! 

FYI, I've uninstalled PS 20 entirely, restarted my computer!
- Removed all previous versions of PS along with the presets.

- Installed fresh brand clean PS from Adobe website. 
- I follow the installation steps clearly. Yes I gave full access to PS by Catalina Secueity.

- It opened up and guess what?? It freezes again!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

are you saving locally or to an external.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I dont have these issues on my Mojave setup with 2020 or 2019. Only on Catalina.

I also have experienced the same file loss situation saving to a network share from Microsoft Office 365 (Excel).

I'm not going to repeat this over and over.

Believe what you will but here is the situation post-Catalina.

The added security measures enacted on Catalina caused two fundamental issue:

1. Catalina no longer works with non-Mac formatted external drives when saving from an application.

2. Catalina enacted more security that requires some (not all) applications to be "white listed" by the System in order to save to any HD.

Even with both solutions in place (Mac formatted drive, etc.) you are still left with the age-old issue of saving to a network or external drive from Photoshop:

Photoshop and your local HD write speed is much faster than a network or external drive.

It's like using a fire hose to pump water and trying to put the same volume and speed through a garden hose.

There is a bottleneck and while Photoshop thinks it's done writing the file, your target location (other than local) has to buffer to finish writing.

So Photoshop stalls out at XX% before finishing.

When you force quit - the file can become truncated and corrupted (if not you got lucky).

This is not a new issue, it is the reality of hardware and software speeds.

What's new is Catalina's security measures has made this exponentially worse.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I was saving on my external HD.. when I started reading here about the problem, I started saving on my local HD but no difference.. it crashes anyway! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Out of all Adobe applications Catalina is discriminating against PS 2020. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I don't buy what you said.. it's just the most recent update of adobe photoshop 20.1 that ruined all the beautiful long-standing Adobe reputation.. unfortunately! 

everything was very normal before that 🤬🤬 update, but no one listen!😒

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

And I don't want to keep repeating myself over and over. For me it's NOT CATALINA!  I have deliberately not updated to Catalina because I wanted to wait until Adobe was working OK with it. 

Photoshop 2020 seemed to be working fine with Mojave until the last update, and then the problems started. 

For ten years I have been saving to external drives with no problems. 

Once again, I'm not using Catalina, so how can that be the problem?  I think you are willfully misunderstanding because you think you know the answer. 

And by the way, what is an "Adobe Community Professional"?  Do you work for Adobe, or is that some sort of rank you've been given for the number of times you post on here?  No offence intended, just curious. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 08, 2020

Hi Richard,

ACPs are not staff members but volunteers who assist in specialized areas.We provide feedback channel to Adobe's product teams. Forums are mainly monitored by Photographers and ACPs, Occasionally staff members will respond to questions, but not frequent. When they do you will see the Adobe icon beside their names and pictures. To get staff members attention you need to utilize "Contact us". Because I have reason to believe that the Photoshop 2020 issue is not an OS issue, from the initial stage of my participation on this thread I started directing user to Adobe via direct contact. Instructions that was given to us I also spent time to post to this forum expecting users to follow so that the issue can be promptly fixed. The more complain of the same issue that reaches Adobe creative team with details, the faster the problem will be fixed. But it seem many persons who post to this thread do not read before posting, so we end up with in excess of 3 pages of "Me too" and other  non-productive discussions. We all need to get out of the easy habit of blaming devices for problems and start thinking about how we can work together to get real problem solved. In this case, it is simple; follow instructions and wait for an answer either by updates solving the problem or by e-mail response. 

You may read more about ACPs at https://community.adobe.com/t5/community-help/meet-the-experts/td-p/4788640?page=1

You may note that our flag/icon has changed since the launch of the new forum.

Best wishes

JG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 10, 2020

Hi Richard,

We are not "willfully misunderstanding the problem" - the OP was about Catalina and most repsonses on this thread are related to that issue.

As for your issue - what specific version of Mojave, Mac and External HD are you using?

How is the external connected to your Mac?

There are reports of externals not working the same with Mojave, but not as extensive as Catalina.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm sorry, but this is not a Catalina issue. I am running...

I'm sorry, but this is not a Catalina issue. I am running Photoshop 2020 on an iMac with Catalina, I did not have these issues when I was using photoshop 2019 on Catalina. When I save a jpg to my external hard drive, or any other '1' layer image, it saves just fine. The problem begins when I want to save a psd file with a layer mask. I repeat, it is only happening when my work includes a layer mask. I'm in college, and the lecturers want 'all layers' to be present in our work. I purchased Affinity Photo and it saves all images just fine, including psd files with layer masks to my external hard drive. Please help fix this, or I am going to have to give up adobe. I have been using Photoshop since its inception. I cannot believe this is where we are. Affinity Photo costs less than £50 with no recurring monthly fees. I opened it and masked an image and saved it in half the time that it takes photoshop to do this. I love Photoshop. I love Camera Raw, I want to keep using it. The only reason I purchased Affinity Photo is because I have a brief due and I am working against the clock. As a student, I cannot afford to throw precious money at a program that will not save masked layers. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: I'm sorry, but this is not a Catalina issue. I am running...

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 21, 2020

Photoshop has always warned about saving to an external device long before Mojave and Catalina.

Catalina just added another layer of complexity that made it much worse even outside of Photoshop.

Issues saving to external drives is nothing new.

If you follow the method of save local and drag over it's safer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm on a PC and same thing is happening here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 19, 2019

Hi Claytonc,

Sorry About your experience. I assume you are using Windows 10 that was digitally activated. 

I also assume you are not using a trial version of photoshop cc 2020  that has expired.

Check to make sure you have the latest updates for your operating system.

If you did not set Creative Clouds to auto update, check for the latest updates. The latest update should have a fix for pc. My crash issue was fixed with the latest updates.

If all is well with the above areas and in relation to the activities on your computer there is enough memory, and sufficient space on your hard drive, then please try the suggestion at 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-freezes-when-opening-raw-file/td-p/9287632

Please let us know if this helps

Best wishes 

JG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What does "same thing" mean? Does it go to 99% and then s...

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 19, 2019

What does "same thing" mean? Does it go to 99% and then stalls?

This thread concerns an issue that seems to be very specifically connected to MacOS Catalina, external drives and a certain formatting (can't recall which). If you don't have the same symptoms it's likely a different issue, and you should start a new thread. Describe exactly what happens, including any error messages if any.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yes it goes to 99% then stalls. Although in the days following the issue has not been occurring. When I reported the issue it was occurring 20 times a day and in the last couple of days it has not appeared once.

Yet another from AMR's iPhoneZooperDooper

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have the same issue.  I am using mac and  I also tried to save to desktop and the issue did not resolve. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 11, 2020

Just a point to note: following this conversation, and others it would appear the issue has been since the introduction of MacOS Catalina. If that is the case, based on what I understand over the years of using computers (Windows) the developer(s) of the OS also need to add patches to accommodate compatibility. This is usually made easier when permission is given for access to take samples of your personal activities. Therefor it would not just be on Adobe's side to make adjustments, but also on the side of the OS. Unfortunately we do not have any way of knowing where the real issue is except through direct communication with either parties. Hence it is important to send these reports directly to where they should go. In the case of Adobe, follow the instructions I outline. 

There don't seem to be a work around except you wish to follow the advise at https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Best wishes

JG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 13, 2020

For Catalina Users:

Go to Apple System Preferences>Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Full Disk Access.

Make sure Photoshop is in this list and checked (active). If not hit the + sign and add it to the list.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: What does "same thing" mean? Does it go to 99% and then s...

It is NOT Catalina!! It's adobe PS 20. Period.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi, When I recently upgraded to Catalina OS I encountered this situation where my PS 21.1.0 would freeze at 99% saving to my external hard disk. After going back and forth between Apple and Adobe help desks, an Adobe agent helped and checked off Full Disk Access to PhotoShop 20. It worked fine a few times and has now returned. I suggest that it beyond impractical to recommend that a photographer save to a local hard disk. I have close to 10 TB of image files, and this is constantly growing. Any more suggested fixes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 27, 2020

Reformat your external per Apple instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 27, 2020

Thanks for posting this link, Jacquelin.

Users following this thread may be most interestedd in this part of that page:

Saving doesn't complete when saving to an exFAT formatted drive

-Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: What does "same thing" mean? Does it go to 99% and then s...

Having the same issue on Windows 10. It does save eventually, but stuck on 99% for a minute or so. PSD Compression could be the culprit, as depsite the 99% complete, you can watch the file saving in super small increments. Considering we have 128gig of ram, 64cores, Samsung pro SSD's with plenty of space free and scratch this is super frustrating. Not saving over a network share either, and even if we were, we are runing 10GBE networking with SSD Cache drives on the server. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines