Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop gpu issue (yes again)

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

In desperation and much tearing out of hair thought I had better post before I am completely bald!!!!

Just cannot get Photoshop to recognise m NVidia Quattro 600 foolowing an update it worked faultlessly before but now crashes PS during photo editing/cropping which seems to be a common problem.

From Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues (adobe.com)

"NVIDIA:

a. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose the NVIDIA control panel.

b. Click Manage 3D settings.

c. Click Program Settings and add Photoshop.exe and sniffer.exe. Change the preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.";

Have followed the various steps but cannot see  the change preferred graphics processor - where do I find this in the Nvidia Control Panel ? 

Computer spec is a self build (Not overclocked) with

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.0 20210512.r.195 5b318a5 x64
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.19041.928
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:13, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 4
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3600 MHz
Built-in memory: 32722 MB
Free memory: 20975 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 25153 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

NVidia Quattro 600 Graphics Card (1Gb)

Installed on a 250Gb SSD

2 x 2Tb HDD for Personal files

32" AOC Monitor (2560x1440 Rse)

All drivers up to date from NVidia website

Sofyware up to date

Have downloaded Corel 2021 Trial and this works fine "straight out of the box" so why does Adobe's offering behave so badly and why has Adobe seemed to have ignored the problems others and myself are having. Am now seriously considering switching to Corels product  as paying for a software that is not fit for purpose and fails on a basic reqement it plain stupid. Reading through with others with same problem makes me wonder about the competence of their software engineers. Any help suggestions (other than buy a new graphics card) will be much appreciated

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip: Creative Cloud lets you choose to keep your old app versions. This is strongly, strongly recommended for anyone who uses Photoshop for more than playing. Keeping a working version may also let you keep your hair. The new versions can be tested at leisure and see if they are worth the effort of relearning, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quadro 600 (1GB VRAM) seems to be a much older model than the P620 (2GB) that is still sold. So that card probably doesn't meet the current minimum requirements. The P620 is already borderline.

You may need to revert to an earlier PS version for now.

GPU support in Photoshop has been a bumpy ride for the last couple of versions. The reason is that the whole operating system environment has changed – both on the Mac and Windows sides.

Specifically, OpenGL is no longer supported on Mac or Windows (and it needs OS support to work in Photoshop). That started with an arbitrary decision from Apple, announced at WWDC in 2018, and there was no prior warning. Photoshop’s entire GPU code, 15 years of development, thus had to be totally rewritten for Metal on Mac, DirectX on Windows. That’s a monumental task that they are still working on. It means that basically everything relating to displaying stuff on screen has to be rewritten, as well as many special functions.

Of course, the timing right now is particularly bad. Crypto-mining is gobbling up all the decent cards faster than they can be produced, and if you have problems, you can’t even buy yourself out of it by purchasing a new and better card. There are none to be bought, and if you even find one, the current prices are insane. So most people will unfortunately be stuck with whatever cards they have.

Still, I think you should be on the lookout for a newer card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for prompt reply and perhaps I was a little harsh on Adobe but when other up to date graphics program work just fine it gives the wrong impression when a program as well known as PS abruptly fails on such a basic need....!!! Yes was thinking a newer card with more mmory would be a good thing as the CAD prgram I am using is getting a little slow especially egard to3D illustrating work and rendering. I am not a grphics professional as such and use CAD/PS for design work in my business as a professional wind instrument maker

Unfortunately deleted older versions so will see if I can find one

So a new card but which one  as I do not want a repeat performance of it suddenly becoming unrecognisible - the P620 with just 2 Gb looks like a stop gap and is availabe on Fleabay - perhaps should go for a much higher spec if it keeps my PC going for a bit longer although budget is limited to a couple of hundred max as still paying off getting kids (three of them) through uni. Just needed for CAD and Graphics as do not run games on the PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the move to update the core graphics functions will mean that some older GPUs will no longer be suitable. The advice to update is sound but there is something you could try whilst you have a card on order. If you are using 22.4 and your GPU is still not recognised (and you only have a single GPU enabled – conflicting GPUs remain an issue) then you could try and force Photoshop to use your older GPU by creating a file PSUserConfig.txt containing the lines:
# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1
Save that text file to :
Windows: [InstallationDrive]:\Users \ [UserName]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Adobe\ [Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\
macOS: //Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/
Note though that this is requires 22.4 and is not officially supported by Adobe, so may cause other issues – so you do it at your own risk

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new graphics card would seem the best policy given its age in this ever changing world of technology and am looking at either of the following as the existing Nvidia Quadro worked well until a few days ago

2GB PNY NVIDIA Quadro P400 V2 Low Profile DP Graphics Card,

or "pushing the boat out" and going for something like this

4GB PNY NVIDIA Quadro P1000 V2 Low Profile DP Graphics Card

or dare I say "Something Completely Different"

Asking for advice

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an NVIDIA Quadro P620 2GB on my work PC and Photoshop 22.4 doesn't recognise that, tried the GPUForce 1 as suggested by @davescm and Photoshop just crashes when I try to go into the preferences, so the 2GB PNY NVIDIA Quadro P400 might not be a good option to go for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the P400 is not good enough. From the P-series - which by now is previous generation and outgoing models - the P1000 should be minimum, but if you can get hold of a P2200 you'd be safer and more future-proof. That's the one I have and it works very well. For now.

The next generation Quadros, the RTX series, is much more targeted at very advanced 3D, AI/machine learning, robotics and so on. They are much higher priced and absolutely overkill for Photoshop. The sensible range to look at now, is a medium range GeForce like a GTX 1660 - RTX 3060/3070. Especially now that 30 bit display is available on GeForces as well.

If you can get one. Crypto-mining is gobbling up cards faster than they can be produced now, and supply is very limited. Prices are through the roof, so if you have a card in mind and think it's expensive, well, they all are nowadays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 

The RTX 4090 might be a good option 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0frNP0qzxQc

Once again have Nvidia caught us by suprise, this time with their RTX 4090 and 4090ti. Hot specs include: 18.000 Cuda cores 232 RT cores 2.169 MHz boost clock 48Gb GDDR7 VRAM 1 kilowatt For more information and pictures please visit my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CaptainsWorkspace ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, give it to Dave...

I'm going to assume this was an april fool's joke 🙂 But god knows these days. The cryptominers might love this. Fill a warehouse with these and call it a "data center". Promise at least 200 jobs (none of which will ever materialize), and bingo, local government will throw money at it. That's the way it works these days.

On a more modest note, the Quadro RTX 8000 will set you back about $13.000, but doesn't look quite so impressive 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines