Highlighted

Photoshop Guides slow down the application/make the application sluggish and hard to use

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a possibility that this has been an issue in previous version (2019 etc.) but at least in Photoshop 2020 I've experienced very noticeable lagging/sluggishness with the software when I have added guides to a document. The sluggishness is present in simple documents with few layers and complex documents with multiple layers, groups and folders. Of course, the amount of lag depends on the document size but even with a 1024x2048 document at 72 dpi with multiple guide lines, the lag is very much there, affecting even the basic manipulation of the document and even simple panning of it. I can't say I remember it being like this a few years back so I'm wondering what could be the case.

Also, it seems that the ruler bars on the side of the document are more buggy than ever and even those seem to lag when panning the document.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.00Ghz

RAM: 32 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6GB)

Topics

Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop Guides slow down the application/make the application sluggish and hard to use

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a possibility that this has been an issue in previous version (2019 etc.) but at least in Photoshop 2020 I've experienced very noticeable lagging/sluggishness with the software when I have added guides to a document. The sluggishness is present in simple documents with few layers and complex documents with multiple layers, groups and folders. Of course, the amount of lag depends on the document size but even with a 1024x2048 document at 72 dpi with multiple guide lines, the lag is very much there, affecting even the basic manipulation of the document and even simple panning of it. I can't say I remember it being like this a few years back so I'm wondering what could be the case.

Also, it seems that the ruler bars on the side of the document are more buggy than ever and even those seem to lag when panning the document.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.00Ghz

RAM: 32 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6GB)

Topics

Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes same

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the rulers not the guides. Make sure you have updated to the latest PSD update - it directly addresses this.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well on the latest version and it is deffinitly the guides and not the rulers that are causing a slowdown. I have not found any other info about how to fix this issue. It is very frustrating. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

definitely the guides, not the rulers or the grid. This NEEDS to be addressed, super frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me - it slows to a grinding halt whenever guides are visible.

It's been an issue for a long time but now its even worse.

Tried disabling rulers and it doesn't do anything.

This is ridiculous that something so simple is causing the entire app to become unusable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's Aug. 21st, I just updated all CC apps, and this just started happening. It's not the rulers, it's not the grid, as soon as I turn on my guides I created, it's noticably slower and laggy. It's unusable on a lot of documents. 

I did just update mac OS 

ryan_ftgs89223883_0-1598036822713.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue with version 21.2.1 so i decided to install an earlier version and that fixed the problem for now. However I noticed there was a new version 21.2.2 and thought maybe adobe had addressed this issue in this new update. It actually seems to have gotten worse! now not only are the guides slowing down the program but also the grids to a lesser extent. I've once again went back to an earlier version as a temporary fix. 

I am running windows 10 with latest updates.

AMD RX5600xt (latest drivers)

Ryzen 7 1700x

16gb ram

for me this is a new problem with the most recent couple of photoshop versions and it makes it unusable for my work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran the latest update and have also been experiencing significant lag when the grids and guides are enabled. Super frustrating. Also up to date on drivers etc. with sufficient memory and processor specs. I hope Adobe is quick to address this issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines