Highlighted

Photoshop hangs aftfer closing file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Noticed an issue with the latest PS. If I close a file, no matter how small it is, PS hangs/freezes for a few seconds once I close it. It's not a major issue, but it never used to be there so it's annoying.

This happens if you have multiple files, or even just one.

Anyone else had this, and any pointers on resolving?

Thanks

Topics

Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop hangs aftfer closing file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Noticed an issue with the latest PS. If I close a file, no matter how small it is, PS hangs/freezes for a few seconds once I close it. It's not a major issue, but it never used to be there so it's annoying.

This happens if you have multiple files, or even just one.

Anyone else had this, and any pointers on resolving?

Thanks

Topics

Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop is freezing while closing a file.

Which version of Photoshop are you using and on which operating system?

Could you please checkout the steps below:

• Turn on the Legacy Compositing option in Performance preferences. Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS). Select Legacy Compositing. Quit and relaunch Photoshop.

• Reset the app preferences for Photoshop:
    To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
    Also, make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akash, 

I'm experiencing the same issue that MrConnor described. Every time I'm closing a file of any size, Photoshops just hangs and doesn't respond for a few seconds before it goes back to normal. The delay is quite annoying, especially when I'm trying to close several files in a row. I have a desktop and a laptop with Photoshop installed, both have this issue for a few weeks now. I tried the steps you described in your reply, but it just didn't help.

One thing worth mentioning may be that I have also a custom action that crops a file to a specific size, saves it and then closes it. The issue doesn't ever occur when I use this action, only if I close files manually by pressing CTRL+W or using the File > Close command. I also noticed that the problem only happens with opened files. If I create a new file I can save and close it just fine, without the freeze. But when I open it again and try to close it the freeze persists.

Do you have any other possible solution? Thank you in advance for your kind help!

Balazs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines