PhotoShop Image Scale vs On-Screen Image Scale

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie question.

My monitor is set to a screen resolution is 2560x1600

I have a photo set to an image size of 26 x 62 inches at 300 pixels per inch

When I open this image on my monitor, the PhotoShop rulers appear to be scaled to a 1 to 1 ratio (1 inch on a physical ruler measures 1 inch on the on-screen PhotoShop ruler), when the scale in the PhotoShop image scale in the lower-left corner is set to 38%.

I'm sure there is a reason for this, and some kind of formula I am supposed to know for determining the true scale on the monitor vs the scale the image is set to in PhotoShop. I assume it relates to screen resolution and image pixels per inch.

Please inform me about what I don't know: Why doesn't a 300 ppi image appear on my screen at 100% when the image scale in PhotoShop is set to 100%? Why wouldn't Adobe just set a compensation factor for this so that the scales match without regard to screen resolution and pixels per inch?

Thank you

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PhotoShop Image Scale vs On-Screen Image Scale

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie question.

My monitor is set to a screen resolution is 2560x1600

I have a photo set to an image size of 26 x 62 inches at 300 pixels per inch

When I open this image on my monitor, the PhotoShop rulers appear to be scaled to a 1 to 1 ratio (1 inch on a physical ruler measures 1 inch on the on-screen PhotoShop ruler), when the scale in the PhotoShop image scale in the lower-left corner is set to 38%.

I'm sure there is a reason for this, and some kind of formula I am supposed to know for determining the true scale on the monitor vs the scale the image is set to in PhotoShop. I assume it relates to screen resolution and image pixels per inch.

Please inform me about what I don't know: Why doesn't a 300 ppi image appear on my screen at 100% when the image scale in PhotoShop is set to 100%? Why wouldn't Adobe just set a compensation factor for this so that the scales match without regard to screen resolution and pixels per inch?

Thank you

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction:

…PhotoShop rulers appear to be scaled to a 1 to 1 ratio (1 inch on a physical ruler measures 1 inch on the on-screen PhotoShop ruler) when the scale in the PhotoShop image scale in the lower-left corner is set to 25%.

(25% not 38% – I typed the wrong percentage – sorry).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Never mind. Please ignore this question. I found the answer on an InDesign forum.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0