• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop image size question

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to resize a tif or jpg file to submit somewhere but am confused. I am told my file must be at least 96dpi, at least 1920 pixels longest side but be under 3MB. When I resize my image to the minimum it is overt 7MB in size. Am I missing a trick here? Should I be somehow reducing the quality - if so how do I do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIF's make large files, JPG is fine in most cases, such as for circulating the image to others and for use on websites.

For what purpose will your image be used for? If it's for a website the PPI (what you called DPI) is irrelevant.

What are you trying to resize it to – you can use Image > Image Size in Photoshop to reduce the dimensions and use Save As and the JPG Options to increase the JPG compression, selecting the amount depending on the acceptable quality of the compressed image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a submission to a competition and they are dictating the size. I did not want to reduce the size using the web option. Increasing compression is what I was looking for so Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question to you what file format are you saving.  You should be saving a flat images like  a Jpeg imags with a high quality setting 10,  11  or 12,  You want to submit a high quality image that has a large number of high quality pixels.   The jpeg compression will reduce file size and if you are editing in 16Bit Colot converting it to Jpeg 8bit color will half the file size.  You do not want to save a layered file they will be large. If you insist on submitting a 16 bit color image  save a Tiff but not a layered one.  And save it with compression.  If you have a large number of pixels you would most likely have the document Print resolution set much higher the 96PPI. So the  print will not be huge be more normal in size like a high quality 8" x 10" print. A  8"x10" 300ppi image has a width of 2400px and a height of 3000px.    A  3:2 Aspect  Ration Raw image from my 16MP camera  has an image  4896px by 3264 px and prints 9"x6" with a 544PPI. The bulk of an image files size is Pixel data,  How well the pixel data in an image will compress depends on Image content.  How much detail the image has.  A blue sky will compress very well a cloudy sky will not compress as well there is a lot more detail to that sky. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - a Jpeg with compression did the trick! Great advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines