Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is becoming un usable.. What are you doing Adobe?? - interface lag

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does one give feedback to Adobe? 

I've been having extremely bad interface lag for a long time that forced me to use old versions of photoshop, but I assumed it was something with my system or windows install so I waited. 

This week I upgraded to a completely new system, fresh install of everything, not one piece of the same hardware or anything. It's a beefy machine too  - 5900x, 64gb 3200mhz ram, RTX 3090 and 5tb of high speed SSD.

But even these specs are apparently not good enough to run the photoshop interface anymore. 

I am STILL having the same buggy, glitchy and laggy interface issues I had before. They are made worse if I turn off flick pan (which I have always had off ever since it was introduced and it was no issue) but even with default settings photoshop can barely deal with it's interface. 

I'm not sure if it had to do with a large amount of layers but yesterday my document eventually would not let me pan around at all, the canvas would glitch out to some weird spot on the screen and would always glitch back to that spot if I tried to pan with the hand tool. I had to quit and restart to fix. This happened multiple times.

I paint so there are a lot of fast actions so it's extra noticeable. If I hide the UI pressing TAB and go to full screen edgeless mode it runs a little better when it's the canvas only, but that's not a realistic workspace for me. 

At this point I'm desperately trying to find an alternative software so I can stop using Photoshop, as I spend the majority of my life in these programs and this poor performance is making it extremely unpleasant. 

I used to love photoshop, now I am starting to loathe it and I'm not sure what to do anymore.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to make matters WAY worse I just realised I can't install a version older than 21.2.5 anymore. What? I'm basically screwed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance over the last 2-3 versions of Photoshop has been complete and utter garbage. I haven't experienced performance like this since the 90s. The last version that ran well was either 19 or 20, but of course Adobe went and made it unavailable. Latest version is marginally better, but still a massive chore with the constant lag.

It's an outrage to be paying a monthly subscription for software that's basically unusable. This is the only peice of software in my entire library that performs poorly, which leads me to question why my company should continue support Adobe. I've been researching alternatives to all Adobe apps specifically so that we can cut them loose completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does one give feedback to Adobe?

You can raise bug reports at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

No issues with PS lags here on an old machine with a combination of 64GB RAM, SSD SATA and spinning hard drives, or on a new build with 128GB RAM a combination of M2 PCI and SSD SATA drives. 
I only use the RTX2080ti but always use the NVidia studio drivers though and clean install them. I never install the game ready drivers or that Geforce "experience" rubbish that they add in.

This site has direct links for some older versions https://prodesigntools.com/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People have been complaining about these issues for years. Adobe seems to spend more effort marketing Creative Cloud than they do optomizing bad code. We shouldn't need an overpowered machine just to maintain performance parity in something as basic as Photoshop.

With all due respect, your machine doesn't qualify as "old". Age doesn't necessarily correlate to performance and your particular specs are still considered quite high. Any decent computer (I'm not talking bargain netbooks) built in the 5 years should be able to handle any version of Photoshop without issue. Creative vs Game Ready drivers are irrelevent because benchmarks show that performance is identical. Ostensibly, Creative drivers are more stable because they're updated less frequently but we're talking Photoshop's performance, not crashes.

Regardless, I mainly work on a Mac, so Nvidia's drivers don't apply to me. My performance drop was very obvious in the jump from version 19 to 20. Subsequent versions are better, but none are on par with 19. The damning aspect for Photoshop is that I can do the same work in competing software with no performance hit. I can do 3d modelling all day long in Blender, which is much more demanding of the hardware.

From what I've seen over the years, there's a distinct shift away from Adobe products for a variety of reasons, so you'd think they would be incentivized to address these issues. Unfortunately, it seems like they need to learn the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"With all due respect, your machine doesn't qualify as "old"."

I referred to two machines . The first is old, I built it in 2012 which is an age in PC terms but it still works well with the current versions of Photoshop (no lags). That was my point, not all users are getting these lags and the only way any will be resolved is by raising them with Adobe at the link given and with full system details.

The second machine is indeed a new build and has a reasonably high spec (not for Photoshop but for 3D apps).

In recent versions of Photoshop, more core functionality is being pushed to the GPU which is why we had the "Legacy Compositing" switch in preferences. Hence the importance of those stable drivers. If the drawing modes are reduced to "Basic" then more CPU functionality is used.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines