Highlighted

photoshop is destroying .psd files when and flatten and saved as a JPG the PSD is never preserved

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting a PSD to JPG, photoshop should preserve the PSD file. In the process of converting to a JPG, a child of the PSD, photoshop should preserve the PSD and the integrity of the layers which I flatten to make the JPG. Following this I can undo and return to the PSD from the JPG and have in the process a JPG and the PSD as it were before I flattened the layers. Should I close the PSD my expecation is when reopened all the layers are present. This is not happening the PSD saved to a flat file even though I undid the process to return to the PSD before I closed the file after making the JPG. A Is anyone seeing this problem? 

Sebastian!
TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

photoshop is destroying .psd files when and flatten and saved as a JPG the PSD is never preserved

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting a PSD to JPG, photoshop should preserve the PSD file. In the process of converting to a JPG, a child of the PSD, photoshop should preserve the PSD and the integrity of the layers which I flatten to make the JPG. Following this I can undo and return to the PSD from the JPG and have in the process a JPG and the PSD as it were before I flattened the layers. Should I close the PSD my expecation is when reopened all the layers are present. This is not happening the PSD saved to a flat file even though I undid the process to return to the PSD before I closed the file after making the JPG. A Is anyone seeing this problem? 

Sebastian!
TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi which version of Photoshop you are using...regards

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.2 Release

Sebastian!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, the behaviour still surprises me at times after 20 years. Should always save a copy and then you go back to your psd. I can't imagine InDesign doc 'becoming' a pdf when saving a pdf.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
gener7 LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say exactly what is going on, but the File > Export commands will allow you to save a jpg or png copy from the PSD without the need to flatten or otherwise alter your master file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0