• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is doing TEMP 64gb size all over my HDD

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My animation in photoshop is a Easy and simple drawing is about 2 GB so far, BUT but this is happening to my HDD, first i can open de file cause i didnt havce enough space on my scratch disc and NOW, i need to setup ALL my HDD is order to even OPEN my work.

I try anything so far, read all the forums, i purge everything, i check performance and support only tell me that is normal to have 8gb of scratch disc, BUT THERE IS A HUGE difference between 8gb and 800gb...

PLEASE I NEED HELP!

discos duros.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say 80 to 100GB of free space will be good for Photoshop scratch space. Just starting Photoshop uses 7GB of free space one my machine. 

I would think you machine will be running poorly with 3GB of free space on your windows system disk.  Windows needs free space for temp files and user application data, Paging etc. If you have a desktop machine and have hibernation enabled.  Disable it that should free up some space on C:.  You need to move things off of your C: Just starting Photoshop one my machine eats up 7GB of free space.

image.png 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, i'm not  that newbie, this are my HDDs with out Photoshop running, is INSANE what photoshop is doing to my system, thats why I'm asking for help, cause Adobe Care keep tellking me this is a normal thing.not noob.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

when i try to purge the file it only delete 2gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget Photoshop - you need to rescue your machine from a total freeze-up, which can happen at any minute!

If you have a 500GB system drive and only 4GB left, it clear that there must be tons of things you can move away. Do it now, while you still can! Tomorrow it may not be possible.

Operating system + applications should normally not take up more than 80 - 120 GB.

Never allow any drive to fill up beyond 75% or so, especially not a system drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, this are my HDDs without Photoshop running. Adobe Care on twitter keep telling me that 30 files of 64gb of Temp, is quite normal... and thats BEYOND insane.not noob.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 64 GB scratch file is not unusual at all. I would never work with any less than 500 GB available for scratch (in actuality I have more).

A file that is 2GB in saved state on disk is already a large file. It can expand by orders of magnitude when opened. It depends on the layer structure, and especially if you have smart objects.

But the main point is that Photoshop reserves the scratch space it expects to need in short order. Think about it: a couple of history states, and size is already many times what it was.

If you're working with large files in Photoshop, you just have to provide the disk space needed. Again, 64 GB is well within what can be expected. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got +800 gb of temps... you can't just tell me that... what about big movies or work in 4k, or hi res illustration?

This is just a simple frame by framer animation.

It's INSANE.... are you telling me that i need even more TB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps. when i Purge the file it only delete 2GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you crash Photoshop while making this animation perhaps?

each animation = a new temp file, no Photoshop does not reuse the old files after a crash but makes them again

Adobe moves a copy of all your library files to the C drive but even then you have 300G of space different between the two screengrabs you posted... I can only assume this animation must be doing something wrong like remixing the codex to use up so much harddrive space

p.s, yes massive space is better when making animations just as a basic rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never crash, i got a weird zoom bug (pretty much standar nowdays with photoshop) then, save and close the app and my 800gb of Temps fade away.

Then Open Photoshop and going loco again.

Now i got to uninstall everything but photoshop in order to keep working... But Photoshop is still eating my HDD for aparently no reason and took up to 20 minutes to open the file.

Is really annoying that people just tell me that watch poping up 64 gb files all over the place is normal.. the solution is still to get 100 tb of hard disk drive??

Are you guys playing with my head? Rigth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps. when i Purge the file it only delete 2gb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines