Photoshop Is Saving As Illustrator Not As Photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop seems to be saving as an Illustrator file on my computer. To be clear I don't want it to. I create a Photoshop progect and I save it in the normal way, IE File/Save As/Save on my computer. I save it with the .psd extention and ... it saves with an Illustrator icon with the .psd suffix on the file name. Well, perhaps there is a glitch and the two programs are sharing an icon for some reason. So I click on the icon and it opens in Illustrator despite having the .psd! If I go into Photoshop first I can open it as a normal PS file but I'd like to know why PS and Illustrator seem to be mixing together during the saving process. Has anyone else had this problem?  I am running a fully updated version of Windows 10 Pro on a computer with an AMD processor. This is the first time I've had this problem. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

That is not a Photoshop issue but the file associations in Windows.

Go to Windows and type "File association" into the Windows search bar. Choose the option to Set a default app for each file type. The settings window will open Scroll down to psd and change it from Illutrator to Photoshop

Dave

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop Is Saving As Illustrator Not As Photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop seems to be saving as an Illustrator file on my computer. To be clear I don't want it to. I create a Photoshop progect and I save it in the normal way, IE File/Save As/Save on my computer. I save it with the .psd extention and ... it saves with an Illustrator icon with the .psd suffix on the file name. Well, perhaps there is a glitch and the two programs are sharing an icon for some reason. So I click on the icon and it opens in Illustrator despite having the .psd! If I go into Photoshop first I can open it as a normal PS file but I'd like to know why PS and Illustrator seem to be mixing together during the saving process. Has anyone else had this problem?  I am running a fully updated version of Windows 10 Pro on a computer with an AMD processor. This is the first time I've had this problem. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Go to Windows and type "File association" into the Windows search bar. Choose the option to Set a default app for each file type. The settings window will open Scroll down to psd and change it from Illutrator to Photoshop

Dave

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 11, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 1
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick. How weird. Never had the trouble before. All I can think of is that the automatic updates took it upon themselves to change the settings. 

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
davescm LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it can happen if you install a package that handles psd after Photoshop and the file associations get updated.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0