• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Large Format PSB file keeps crashing...

Participant ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks, and happy holidays!  

I'm a mult media aritst preparing to release a new album, starting with 3 months of singles.  I received some art from an amazing painter in VERY high resolution, I believe 1400dpi.  The painting is huge and I'm highlighting small detailed areas of the painting associated with each single before the big reveal of the album, so I'm very grateful for the extra resolution.  The problem is that it is an unweildly file!  I brought it into a smaller canvas to prepare Youtube thumbnails.  I figure I will just move the painting around within that small canvas.  It worked at first, although Photoshop said it needed to be saved as a PSB file.  No problem exporting the first two images.  Now I'm getting ready to compose a third and the project just keeps shutting down after a few minutes after I move the large layer.  I tried deleting it entirely and was able to save the project without the behemoth element, but it still just shuts down a few minutes after attempting any adjustments.  It's so odd, as I'm working with 4k footage all day in AfterEffects without a hitch.   I am working on a 2019 16 inch MBP with 64 gb of memory.  Shouldn't that be enough?  Is there a setting that can be tweaked in Photoshop to allow the app to use more memory, and I will just only use Photoshop and quit all other programs?  How can I make this work?  I'm using Photoshop 22.1.0.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks again,

Fredo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I created a new file entirely, which has a much smaller element and it still crashes constantly.  I figured it might be the font, so I opened Illustrator to create a rasterized text graphic.  While I did so Photoshop crashed!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ain't that.  It just crashed even without a font being used. Ugh.  I think maybe my instance of Photoshop has a bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just downgraded to the version just prior to the recent update and so far the crashing has stopped.  So is this a bug in the new version?  Should I try to reinstall?  Perhaps my installation was faulty?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines