• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Menu Keyboard Shortcuts in 2021

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I've seen some dead threads on how Photoshop limits keybindings, but I dont follow. Specifically the dated logic behind the very very strict limits on Menu Commands.

2021-02-28 10_46_55-Window.png

Here is a common example of Layer Functions used rapidly by digital painters:

New>Layer = Ctrl + Shift + N

New>Layer via Copy = Ctrl + J

Merge Layers = Ctrl + E

I think we can all agree this is kind of a ridiculous keyboard dance to operate the layers panel in the most basic sense. How about we reduce these bindings down to their most basic parts and put them all on ONE key.

New>Layer = E

New>Layer via Copy = Shift + E

Merge Layers = Ctrl + E

First I dont use the Eraser tool (why when masks are non-destructive?). Second don't tell me this isnt possible because of OS or Region issues. I just mapped this configuration in Clip Studio Paint.

Untitled-1.png

So yeah my question is why does Photoshop hate my pinky and can this be updated within my lifespan? It's only going to become more important as Photshop releases new tools...like maybe a native perspective ruler 😄 😄 😄

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can change your own shortcuts in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. Use the menu at the top to choose where the shortcuts are located (menus, panels). Single key shortcuts are reserved for tools in the Tools panel.

If you want Adobe to change them, then make a feature request here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

@Gregory5EB3 wrote:

I think we can all agree...

For my part, I would disagree, but go ahead and ask Adobe if you feel strongly about it. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought moderators moved threads when they were in the wrong category but I could totally be confusing this for another forum (I've been browsing many to see if there was a solution to this issue). Thanks for the link, I'll make sure to create a feature request!

I am curious Jane about what you disagree with though. I believe I highlighted some potential merits that are embraced by others like Maya, Cinema 4D and the previously mentioned Clip. If there are potential downsides could you share? It could be helpful to know before I repost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gregory5EB3 

We can move threads within this forum, but not to the Feedback forum, which is for bug reports and feature requests to the product developers.

I don't use Clip, Maya, or Cinema D. I use PS, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat. Over the years many (but not all) of the shortcuts have been standardized across these four. I also remember the huge backlash when they changed the shortcuts for channels to make them consistent with the other applications. Folks go ballistic when their shortcuts are changed!

• Single letters are reserved for tools
  • Ctrl+Shift+N is also New Layer in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. "N" stands for "New"!
  • Ctrl+J: This would orphan Layer Via Cut if you change only one.
  • These shortcuts all fit nicely together and are easy to remember:

Merge visible layers

Control + Shift + E

Command + Shift + E

Merge a copy of all visible layers into target layer

Control + Shift + Alt + E

Command + Shift + Option + E

Merge layers

Highlight layers you want to merge, then Control + E

Highlight the layers you want to merge, then Command + E

I'm a volunteer though, and have no influence with Adobe, so make your request!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah I see that could make sense, a solution could be to not change any defualts and keep the rest to defualt operation. Thanks for your input and have a good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines