• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop next to useless on iMac Pro

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 5k retina iMac from 2014 was faster and more stable for Photoshop than the latest release on a 14 core iMac Pro with Vega 64 and 128gb RAM running Mojave. And yes, I've tried turning off GPU and a clean install but it makes no difference.

Layer styles seem to make the app almost unusable. How can Adobe release software with such poor performance issues?

Apps like C4D are incredible on this machine but Adobe apps feel like they're running on a ten year old computer on its last legs.

Is this a known issue and if so when are you going to do something about it and finally get your software to take advantage of modern processing power?

All the clever features you come up with are moot if the software doesn't work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rest of us don't see that - so there has to be something specific about your machine that causes Photoshop to choke.

Usually it's a buggy video driver, but if you can rule that out you should look at other drivers (like wacom), third-party plugins, font managers etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly the same issue was replicated on an 18 core with exactly the same performance problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, maybe the same applications/utilities/plugins/extensions are installed? That's actually a help, because you can look at common factors.

This is not normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was on a colleagues machine hundreds of miles away, unconnected to my own.

I guess all I can do is wait and hope Adobe plough some resources into performance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset PS Preferences, that can sometimes fix the weirdest problems. And try to turn off rulers. That's an old bug (but I thought it was fixed by now). If this was a Windows machine I'd tell you to update the video driver in any case, but you can't do that on Mac. Some people have seen problems running at 4K/5K, but normal performance returning when screen resolution is reduced to standard HD.

Again, this is not a general problem, you don't seem to believe that, but it's the truth. If you post the Help > System Info, maybe someone can spot something.

This hasn't been listed with the known Mojave problems, but some of them are pretty diffuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rest of us? You cant speak on my behalf, Im sure. My MacBook Pro from 2012 is way better performance wise than my 11.000$ iMacPro. Hard to comprehend, but sadly true 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GBlayney  wrote

My 5k retina iMac from 2014 was faster and more stable for Photoshop than the latest release on a 14 core iMac Pro with Vega 64 and 128gb RAM running Mojave. And yes, I've tried turning off GPU and a clean install but it makes no difference.

What operating system were you using on your old Mac? And what exact version do you have now of Mojave and of Photoshop? I ask because Mojave has caused some major issues that I do not have because I am on High Sierra until Apple fixes things. The .2 patch is out for Mojave, and the .3 is in beta with developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, anything slightly more complicated with custom shapes makes Photoshop totally ball out. I'm also apalled by the bad performance of Photoshop on an iMac Pro, and I need this for my work (professional artist).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem on my new iMac. My 7 year old Macbook Pro was just as fast in Photoshop as this suped-up new machine is. I've talked to Apple 4 times now and they agree that my machine is more than capable of running Photoshop smoothly, but any redraw on my screen from things like moving layers or using the Stamp tool and it jumps around like crazy. No fluidity. When I run Activity Monitor while I use PS, I see that the %CPU jumps as high as 370% while the %GPU stays nice and low. Yes I've done a fresh PS install. Yes, I've run only PS and no other programs. Yes all my drivers are up to date. Nothing makes any difference. Apple basically shrugged their shoulders. Can anyone from Adobe do any better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, maybe try this

it just might help, I hope so

Reset the preferences in Photoshop and let us know how it goes: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

I basically downgraded from iMac 2014 to iMac Pro 2019.

Photoshop works terrible, Illustrator flickers, OpenOffice lags and I really do not see that much difference. Ah yes, the pricetag was different.

I made a mistake.

I definitely made a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I noticed the exact same thing. My 2011 MacBook Pro ran the Adobe programs as well or better than my 2019 iMac, which on the Apple site is promised to be a powerful and competant machine. Apple told me that my new machine is more than powerful enough to smoothly run Photoshop and Illustrator and yet I get stutters, lags, and programs shutting down without warning or explanation several times a day. You'd expect the industry leaders in computers and in creative software to be able to play well together. It's deeply disappointing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines