• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop on OSX 10.8/ML throws "strtable error" on open dialog

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading to ML with the newest CS6 (creative cloud) and in the open dialog, clicking on PSDs gives a generic "strtable error". I can still open the files. Any ideas what this may be?Screen Shot 2012-07-30 at 2.04.21 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

In my case it was FontExplorer X Pro.

Even if you unistalled it, error remains.

You need to go to Photoshop Plugins folder and delete FontExplorer Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check carefully to see that the text that you have defined in the design is editable.  There's a pretty bad bug being worked on by Adobe in which the various text in the document gets shuffled.  That came to mind because "str" could mean "string", which is programmerese for text.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a Photoshop error (wrong icon, not one of our strings).

I don't even think it's an OS error, but possible some haxie or system utility that you've added to your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thanks Chris. I'll disable extensions and re-enable and let you all know which one it is so other people can figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've got FontExplorer X Pro installed, try disabling the font requests and re-enabling them.

I figured it might be something to do with that from the previous replies, and I can't trigger the bug anymore.

Not necessarily the cause, but it seems to be working OK now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it was FontExplorer X Pro.

Even if you unistalled it, error remains.

You need to go to Photoshop Plugins folder and delete FontExplorer Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks, that was it, had to delete the plugin in Illustrator fodler as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does deleting the FontExplorer extension effect your use/operation with FontExplorer & Photoshop (or Illustrator)? I also want to get rid of this bug but need to continue to utilize FontExplorer to manage fonts... Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the problem is this; a few versions prior to 10.8/CS6, Fontexplorer would automatically launch the application if it wasn't running to match up any missing font. I'm not sure if its because its a older version and/or adobe has ceased letting the application fire open when photoshop/illustrator is triggered but it almost 100% of the time I get this error it's because Fontexplorer isn't open yet and it's trying to launch it but its no longer allowed to launch the application... thus the 'Strtble Error.' If you have Font Explorer opened and try the same file you won't get the error, and viceaversa you'll get the error if you don't have it open.

I'm still running an old version of Font Explorer (3.1) with CS6 I assume all of my issues are contributed to that. I'm not sure if the same thing happens on new versions of Font Explorer. (I have a fear of updating since it destroyed all of my folders the last time I updated.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still struggling with this, it is FontExplorer X old plugins. Just check for updates in FE X and download the new plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it's because of Adobe Typekit which cannot be disabled no matter what you try. I have the same issue with Illustrator. I use Font Explorer Pro, and Adobe Typekit supersedes it, now, in all my Adobe CC software. Kinda like what Microsoft did with switching Internet Explorer with your favorite browser when you loaded their newest OS until they were taken to court.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Armadillo77,

This is Ben from Typekit. I'm sorry that you ran into trouble with this. Some users have reported an issue in the current version of InDesign which can temporarily deactivate installed fonts. Please note that this is actually unrelated to Typekit; it just happens to occur at the time you see our logo in the missing fonts window.

The InDesign team is still investigating the factors which trigger this situation, but the basic issue is this: the Missing Fonts dialog causes fonts which are managed through Extensis Suitcase and FontExplorer to not auto-activate correctly, or for managed fonts to even be visible in the application after upgrade.

In both cases, the InDesign Missing Fonts dialog appears to override the Font Management tool dialogs that allow users to manage fonts within the Application.

If you use Suitcase Fusion, there is a simple configuration change needed:

1. close the Missing Fonts window

3. go to the Type menu and select "Suitcase Fusion 5".

3. From the submenu, choose "Library" and then check "All Libraries" so all fonts can be auto-activated as needed

4. from the Type menu, select "Suitcase Fusion 5" again, and then "Check Document’s Fonts" to activate the missing fonts,

If the font is being managed by Suitcase, it will find and update the fonts.

In FontExplorer, if your managed fonts are not visible in InDesign after upgrading to InDesign 9.2

Go to FontExplorer/Tools and select

1. Clean System Font Caches (this will require a system reboot)

2. Clean Application Font Caches

On non-Mavericks systems, you will need to de-activate and then reactivate font protection.  Launch a terminal window and enter

sudo atsutil fontprotection -off

Then enter

sudo atsutil fontprotection -on

Relaunch InDesign. your managed fonts should now be visible and auto-activation should work.

The fonts can always be activated from within the Font Management software itself, even with the missing fonts dialog open.

The InDesign team is looking into the issue to determine the root cause as well; our apologies for any inconvenience it causes in the meantime.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the plug in worked for me.

Make sure to restart Photoshop if it was open when you removed the plug in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CS6 still. I have FontExplorer X Pro.
If I don't have FontExplorer loaded before loading Photoshop I get this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @promotional. I, too, use Photoshop CS6 with FontExplorer X Pro (on a 2014 Mac Mini, MacOS 10.14.5).

I quit Photoshop, opened FEX, relaunched Photoshop, and no strtable error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This error message still applies with the latest macOS 10.15.5, FontExplorer X Pro and Photoshot 2020. As it was pointed out previously, if FEX is not running when opening a photo, then you get the error. If FEX is open first, then open a photo file, no error message. When you look at the FEX plugin info, it states that the current version is 3.5.6 and made for Photoshop CC 2015. So it sounds like they haven't updated the Photoshop version in a long while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines