Photoshop only shows a few seconds of an hour-long video in the timeline + other problem

Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I've been learning a little bit about editing videos in Photoshop, but my skills are very basic at this point.  I have some old Hi8 video tapes that I've converted to MP4 files with the StarTech USB3HDCAP.  These were camera tapes so a little bit of editing is called for to make them more presentable.  For a couple of the files Photoshop only recognizes the first few seconds from the beginning of the video file, placing that timy segment in the time line.  None of the remaining video is accessible.  The MP4 files are quite large, the most recent one to give me trouble is over 17 GB.  These files that are giving Photoshop trouble play fine in a couple of the video players on my Windows 10 system, so I know the files are complete.  They will also load in a stripped down Movavi Video Editor that came with a different video digitization solution.  I would edit with it, but it doesn't allow MP4 output. 

The other problem happens after I've done some cutting of dead sections of the recording, then stacked the good parts end-to-end on the timeline.  Then I Render the edited file, saving it as an MP4.  What I've seen a few times is that part way through playback of the edited file, the frames may start to "junp" or "jiggle" with a solid blue frame popping in and out.  The blue frame is probably the first frame of the original video.  Other times I've seen the ghost of what's probably the first frame of the recording blended somewhat transparently with the frames I'm viewing later in the recording, which of course makes the entire recoding useless.  

Any thoughts about either of these issues?

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop only shows a few seconds of an hour-long video in the timeline + other problem

Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I've been learning a little bit about editing videos in Photoshop, but my skills are very basic at this point.  I have some old Hi8 video tapes that I've converted to MP4 files with the StarTech USB3HDCAP.  These were camera tapes so a little bit of editing is called for to make them more presentable.  For a couple of the files Photoshop only recognizes the first few seconds from the beginning of the video file, placing that timy segment in the time line.  None of the remaining video is accessible.  The MP4 files are quite large, the most recent one to give me trouble is over 17 GB.  These files that are giving Photoshop trouble play fine in a couple of the video players on my Windows 10 system, so I know the files are complete.  They will also load in a stripped down Movavi Video Editor that came with a different video digitization solution.  I would edit with it, but it doesn't allow MP4 output. 

The other problem happens after I've done some cutting of dead sections of the recording, then stacked the good parts end-to-end on the timeline.  Then I Render the edited file, saving it as an MP4.  What I've seen a few times is that part way through playback of the edited file, the frames may start to "junp" or "jiggle" with a solid blue frame popping in and out.  The blue frame is probably the first frame of the original video.  Other times I've seen the ghost of what's probably the first frame of the recording blended somewhat transparently with the frames I'm viewing later in the recording, which of course makes the entire recoding useless.  

Any thoughts about either of these issues?

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 10, 2021 0

Have something to add?