• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Print Dialog Not Retaining Preferences [2018]

New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the most recent Photoshop CC on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

When printing for the first time, the setting function as they should.

printer_dialogue_01.JPG

However after the first print, the preview resets to an 8.5 x 11 in. image with an odd crop. Often it will appear pixelated and blurry.

printer_dialogue_02.JPG

I initially assumed it was just an issue in rendering the preview, however if I attempt to print, it will print the image at this 8.5 x 11 in. size.

I am able to work around this by opening up the "Print Settings" and closing it again, swapping the layout orientation, or hitting "Done" and opening the dialog again. I have tried resetting all of my preferences, as well as resetting just the print preferences by holding space when opening up the print dialog, but unfortunately the issue persists. I have also tried reinstalling my printer drivers, but the issue appears to be isolated to Photoshop.

This has been persisting for a few months and occurred after an update. I have two coworkers who have also had this issue. One of them has been working with it for over six months now, while the other briefly had this problem but has since found that it no longer occurs.

I was able to find one other report identical to this one here: Low resolution pixellated print preview image after PS CC 2018 19.0.1 update Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6, but it was left unanswered. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

You could try holding down Shift  Spacebar when clicking on File >Print. That resets the Photoshop print dialogue which may work in making the settings sticky.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have this problem on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS.

First print is fine; try to print again, and the settings are completely reset to what looks like maybe a printer default rather than the settings I created.

Since one of the things I do is printing to discs, defaulting to a full 8.5 x 11 paper setting, left aligned, is more than annoying. And resetting is not a simple selection, but punching in of some numbers I've gathered by testing.

Saving the document retains the bad setting, so I don't save after a print.

Not saving, closing the document, and reopening it will keep my settings, but again, only for the first print. I've been looking for a fix for months.

Photoshop is NOT retaining my per document print settings!

One note, File>Print One Copy does not change print settings, so if printing one copy at a time is all you need to do, that can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What version of Photoshop do you have, according to here this issue was fixed in Photoshop version 19.1.2

Photoshop CC 2018 (19.1): Print dialog box always opens at top left corner of screen and when maximi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the most recent version of Photoshop. I see that the thread you have linked had the answer provided about five months ago. Unfortunately the issue was not fixed after the 19.1.2 update and is still persisting as of 19.1.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am also experiencing the same problem I print continuously everyday and have all my photos on one PSD file on multiple layers. With previous versions of Photoshop my print settings stay the same however since using CC 2019 the print settings seems to reset after one print!! I have to go to print settings each time which is a hassle. Has this been sorted yet or do you know of any fixes?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(probably unrelated, but one obvious problem here is that your file is untagged. Always embed the color profile!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response and my apologies for getting back to you so late.

Unfortunately the Document Profile has no effect on the issue and it is consistent regardless of profile. I always work with tagged images, this was just one image I grabbed to use as a quick example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Doesn't happen all the time, or consistently for all documents, oddly.  Definitely feels like a bug that just cropped up in recent versions.  *Very* frustrating, and makes our workflow with this product a nightmare.

I've just had an update and hoped it would be fixed, but it didn't.  GRR  (now on ver 20.0.2)   This has gone on for too long.   Running Win10 with all updates current, even did a fresh install on a fresh new laptop, same problem.  I have nothing unique or special going on, common modern Dell business printers, no fancy devices or configurations, etc. 

Like others, the first time you open PrintPreview it always displays and functions as expected.  But the 2nd time (usually) the live preview display shows the wrong paper size, usually with the wrong centering/alignment of the content, and often with the print settings forgotten or changed.  If you go ahead and print, it tries to print with all the incorrect settings as displayed, so it's not just a case of a UI display error.  The document's print settings have been (temporarily) forgotten.

Also like others, if you close the preview window and reopen, it usually "remembers" all the correct settings and once again correctly displays and prints correctly.  Sometimes this takes another preview window close/open cycle for Photoshop to "remember" the print settings, and it doesn't last, because the very next time you open print preview it's often forgotten everything again.

Is anyone at Adobe seeing these posts and is this bug being worked on?  Or even acknowledged?   It's been 9 months which is far too long for such a fundamental product workflow problem to have gone unresolved.

Thank you, in anticipation of someone please fixing this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix (running 20.0.5 on Windows 10)

Instead of pressing ctrl+p to print: hold the ctrl key and then choose the File > Print menu.

If you have seen incorrect settings in the print dialog already, you must click the Done button, rather than Cancel in order for this to work.

Doing this I always get the proper paper size.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this doesn't fix the issue. I'm able to get the correct paper size after clicking Done and reopening the print dialogue, but this is just a work-around and doesn't solve the main issue.

Your suggestion is appreciated, none the less!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Reinstalled Photoshop, updated drivers, did a full reset of preferences, multiple google search and nothing worked so far. Going bananas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try holding down Shift  Spacebar when clicking on File >Print. That resets the Photoshop print dialogue which may work in making the settings sticky.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“You could try holding down Shift when clicking on File > Print”

Hi,

Dave meant to write “Hold down the Spacebar while clicking on File > Print”. It’s good advice and may fix your issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-printing-problems.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops !!!!  thanks Jane - that'll teach me not to type a reply too quickly and without Photoshop open. I've corrected the post above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While trying to figure this out:

- I updated my Photoshop version to PSD 2020 (21.0.1). I got myself in a worst position, this version doesn't print period. It crashes as soon as you try to print. HA!

- Reverted back to Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.7) and it now crashes too. 

Guess my original issue wasn't so bad after all 😕 I'll remember the spacebar trick once photoshop works again, thanks for the tip!

(Luckily I can plug my printer to my laptop, get the files from my desktop, and print my customers' orders, phew). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad I am not the only one having this problem.  Running PS20 with Epson printers.
Everytime I open print dialog I get a surprise ... sometimes it retains what was last printed for this file, but mostly never.
I have to click "print settings" and then enter ... i then remembers previous settings ... I don't have to change anything.

This is kindof embarassing for Adobe that multiple people have this significant problem and they don't seem to acknowledge it.

If anyone has any ideas I am eager to listen.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is that this kind of problem we are talking about did not happen in previous versions of photoshop. This didn't exist in PS CS3, in CS6, in CC 2017. Pressing Space Bar while clicking File>Print is not a fix. It's just a workaround. Even the anchor point issue when transforming objects isn't an issue in previious versions. Where photoshop devs took this cute idea to create a cute check box to be checked just to enable relocating anchor points. Adobe is becoming more and more like the devs team of Windows. Guessing what their users want or like and believe their guess to be true. BTW, to those of you have used the 'space bar trick', you can use the keyboard alone to do it: Ctrl+Space Bar+P. No need to drag your mouse. My point is, if you add feature, don't make it a reason to modify the existing features that already worked. Afterall, who don't love the Ctrl+P convenience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bigger issue is that it is not happening for everyone.

This is a user to user forum, answered by volunteers. We don't work for Adobe.

The only way you will get a fix is to post where Adobe developers will see it.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Even then it will be essential to give full system details including:

Operating system (exact version)
Photoshop version

Print Driver version

GPU driver version *

* Although it might seem strange giving GPU driver details for a print problem, there was a problem a couple of years ago where, for only a few people, the print driver slowed to a point where several minutes past between entering info and the dialogue being updated. It was eventually traced to a specific AMD GPU driver update that had introduced the issue. It took a lot of posters to give information and try different driver versions before it was found that the common point in those having issues was that they had updated their AMD GPU driver. Adobe and AMD could only work on a fix once the problem could be replicated on their systems.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I hold down the spacebar to go to file>print, the drop down flickers, goes away, so no way to use this fix.  Problem developed shortly after Epson repairs, and changing to drivers that don't shut down when I use the "new" ink cartridges whithout the chip.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines