• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop problem (not showing the image)

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hy,

i just installed photoshop on my new laptop and it does not show any images when i open them.

like you can see in teh image that i posted i have a picture opened (its also so in a layer)

i can use photoshop but i dont see anyting changing in the normal area( is does change in the layer box.)

i tried with different pictures

pleas help

photoshop problem.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

You can enable/disable OpenGL drawing in Photoshop's preferences, under the Performance tab.

And you need to go to NVidia's web site and update your driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be a video card driver problem. See if there is an updated driver.

In the meantime see if turning off OpenGL in Photoshop preferences > performance makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you move the entire set of tabs in Win?  Just asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

Can't you move the entire set of tabs in Win?  Just asking.

You can move individual files - then they turn into floating windows.

And looking closely there is something right on the left edge of the app frame, but I can't make it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said:

In any case, re-creating prefs can't hurt—and it can cure a bunch of weird stuff. 

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse wrote:

…looking closely there is something right on the left edge of the app frame, but I can't make it out.

Could be a scroll bar, in which case the document window would be way above the screen—or to the left of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my money would be on a video card driver that needs to be updated. Disabling OpenGL drawing should avoid the issue temporarily, but the bug is in the video card driver.  (we've seen this a lot with older drivers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

And my money would be on a video card driver that needs to be updated. Disabling OpenGL drawing should avoid the issue temporarily, but the bug is in the video card driver.  (we've seen this a lot with older drivers)

where can i find the disabling OpenGL Drawing?

i have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

My money is on your document window being off screen. 

At some point you may have had a secondary monitor attached which you have since disconnected, or you drastically changed your monitor resolution.

Trashing your preferences should fix it instantly:

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

i tried this but i did not work. (however i do work with diferent screens)

thanks already for you efforts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can enable/disable OpenGL drawing in Photoshop's preferences, under the Performance tab.

And you need to go to NVidia's web site and update your driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks,

This solution worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, turning off OpenGL drawing is not a solution - just a temporary way to avoid the bugs in your video card driver.

The solution is to update the video card driver.

(kind of like how walking is not the same as fixing your car)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok,

turned OpenGL back on and update my video card driver and it works to.

thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also having this problem, the OpenGL solution worked, but im unsure why/how the issue could be the video card driver as the computer is a new mac!! Is this even possible? How hard is it to update a videocard driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple puts out bad drivers, too.

And we've seen a handful of defective GPUs recently on Apple machines as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah I see. Is this a problem that normally occurs from some kind of virus or is it generally a hardware default? Thankyou so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally it's just bugs in the driver code, and the GPU vendors will fix it quickly (if they haven't already).

But Apple doesn't update their drivers often, and you can't download beta drivers from the GPU makers like you can on Windows.

And once in a while the problem is defective hardware: just a bad video card that has to be replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Macbook Pro 14" not a Windows. Not sure where to go to update the video card driver, or even if it's possible. But I'm having the same problem. I have the Photoshop 2022 version 23.0.1 I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My money is on your document window being off screen. 

At some point you may have had a secondary monitor attached which you have since disconnected, or you drastically changed your monitor resolution.

Trashing your preferences should fix it instantly:

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but he's in tabbed view and the tab is there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case, re-creating prefs can't hurt—and it can cure a bunch of weird stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank god, I've had a time loading CS on new laptop. Still can't get Dreamweaver to load, but at least now I can see my photos! I miss my MAC! Thanks again... trashing preferences fixed it. I hope next that it will fix previews not appearing in finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked...thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  Was totally the secondary monitor resisizing that got cached the last time I used PS.  Resetting preferences fixed it np. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I had the very same issue. After a lengthy chat with Adobe it was determined it was the number of monitors I had. I had three monitors and apparently when Adobe released CS6 it was only tested with one monitor. There response was to talk with Microsoft and of course in talking with Microsoft they said it was Adobe. Personally I think it is a Adobe issue. None the less once I turned off one monitor I can now see my image in the work area. So I will be less efficient with two monitors but such as life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I have read reports of people using Photoshop CS6 with up to 6 monitors.

In those cases it was adding a 7th monitor that was causing them problems. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines