• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop problems - scratch disk full

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my photoshop won't open I use macbook pro when I click on the app it show me this massege Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full what can I do can someone help me please 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For one thing, you probably need to free-up some hard disk space.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link about defragmenting a Mac should not be included in the post. The original poster uses a MacBook Pro. All MacBook Pros made in the last several years use SSDs as internal storage, and an SSD should never be defragmented; it even says that in the linked article and explains why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The link about defragmenting a Mac should not be included in the post."

I don't agree.  We have no idea what storage the OP or anyone else who happens to find this thread in searches is using.  Assume nothing, cover all bases.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you in principle. It’s just that the last MacBook Pro with a built-in hard drive was introduced in 2012 (8 years ago), and those drives tend to be so slow today that many of the units still in use have been upgraded to SSDs. While I agree we should not assume that everyone is using an SSD, running defragmentation on an SSD is such an inadvisable practice (it’s really bad for it) that if it’s going to be brought up, it shouldn’t be suggested as a primary troubleshooting step, given the current demographics of the Photoshop user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A lot of Photoshop users are on non-SSDs and Windows, too. 

The OP needs more scratch disk space.  Adding an external drive (SSD or spinning) is another option. 

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard-Drives-Storage-Add-Ons/b?ie=UTF8&node=595048

SSDs have a shorter lifespan than mechanical drives which is why defragmenting them is not recommended.  But defragmenting is itself no worse than reading and writing files to disk which we do everyday. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to free up your disc by deleting the temp files:

1. Press the Windows Button + R to open the "Run" dialog box.
  2. Enter this text: %temp%
  3. Click "OK." This will open your temp folder.
  4. Press Ctrl + A to select all.
  5. Press "Delete" on your keyboard and click "Yes" to confirm.
  6. All temporary files will now be deleted.

Also you can delete your App Data Cash to free up your disc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions given won’t solve the problem because the original poster is using a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi check the video hope it helps you.........regards

https://youtu.be/fg-Rl6bny1M

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Scratch Disk Full error happens if your MacBook Pro internal storage has very little space available. The first thing to do is always to try and move or delete enough files to free up at least 50GB of storage, and the more the better.

It happens because every time you open a document in Photoshop, a temporary file is created that stores working data and undo steps. If your computer’s internal storage is running low on free space, there won’t be enough space to create those temporary files. Opening a very large Photoshop document may require more than 100GB of scratch space. You can also plug in external storage with lots of room on it, and assign it as a scratch disk in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noorah,

I agree with Conrad in all three of his comments in this thread.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines