Photoshop process doesn't end when app is closed

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 20.0.1

Lightroom Classic CC 8.1 build 1200465

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with SP1

My typical workflow is to select several images in Lightroom, launch them as layers in Photoshop for stacking, then closing the apps when I'm done.  Lightroom shuts down fine, but Photoshop never fully shuts down.  The app UI is closed, but the Photoshop.exe process remains, and holds onto all the RAM it was using (usually over 4 GB).  Photoshop will not re-launch as long as this condition persists.  I have to end the process using Task Manager before I can re-launch Photoshop.

This did not occur before the most recent update to Photoshop.  How do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop process doesn't end when app is closed

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 20.0.1

Lightroom Classic CC 8.1 build 1200465

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with SP1

My typical workflow is to select several images in Lightroom, launch them as layers in Photoshop for stacking, then closing the apps when I'm done.  Lightroom shuts down fine, but Photoshop never fully shuts down.  The app UI is closed, but the Photoshop.exe process remains, and holds onto all the RAM it was using (usually over 4 GB).  Photoshop will not re-launch as long as this condition persists.  I have to end the process using Task Manager before I can re-launch Photoshop.

This did not occur before the most recent update to Photoshop.  How do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2018 1
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answer after 2 years, that kinda sucks. I have about 7 processes to kill EVERY TIME I close photoshop, which is several times a day.  Been this way for a couple years, annoying as hell but I am kind of used to it.  Adobe seemingly has no empathy for those of us that can't afford a megacomputer. I also have to restart my computer every couple hours if I am really going at it on photoshop, because the temp file gets so huge photoshop crashes...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you are critically low on disk space, which can quickly cause much bigger problems than Photoshop closing.

Photoshop is a professional-grade application, and it is, as always for any professional tool, the user's responsibility to ensure the necessary resources are available. Photoshop makes no excuses.

For non-professional use, they offer Photoshop Elements.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0