Photoshop "program error messages" - driven by broken GPU link? delete prefs resolves...sort of

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encounterred a bunch of errors after the latest Photshop update. No new docs due to "program error". I tracked down the problem (I think) to Photoshop losing track of my GPU, which you can see under Edit>Pref>Performance.

Deleting Prefs seems to reset everything on my end back to working...

BUT...

** I can trigger it again by customizing a workspace. ** 

For example, launch phothsop, make new doc, close a tab in the essentials layout. Close PS. Reopen PS and try to make a new doc. the program error is back and the GPU listing is blank under Perfomance.

(Delete prefs *again*, and you can get back in as normal.)

This repro worked for both a default wortkspace and a custom workspace. I'm not proper QA so I don't know if this is causation or correlation or why one action should trigger that result but I can repro it everytime. This is what I've bween wrsteling with for the past hour plus. Not fun.

I'm on windows.

Hope this helps others out there to get back up adn running and not re-trigger the issue.

pete

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop "program error messages" - driven by broken GPU link? delete prefs resolves...sort of

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encounterred a bunch of errors after the latest Photshop update. No new docs due to "program error". I tracked down the problem (I think) to Photoshop losing track of my GPU, which you can see under Edit>Pref>Performance.

Deleting Prefs seems to reset everything on my end back to working...

BUT...

** I can trigger it again by customizing a workspace. ** 

For example, launch phothsop, make new doc, close a tab in the essentials layout. Close PS. Reopen PS and try to make a new doc. the program error is back and the GPU listing is blank under Perfomance.

(Delete prefs *again*, and you can get back in as normal.)

This repro worked for both a default wortkspace and a custom workspace. I'm not proper QA so I don't know if this is causation or correlation or why one action should trigger that result but I can repro it everytime. This is what I've bween wrsteling with for the past hour plus. Not fun.

I'm on windows.

Hope this helps others out there to get back up adn running and not re-trigger the issue.

pete

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, have had nothing but errors and problems since the latest release.  Tried trouble shooting and found various solutions online revolving around disabling GPU, which leasds to other issues, so have to enable it again, back to the first errors again.  I am not at all tech savy so have wasted too much time chasing this up right in the middle of editing photos from holiday card shoots.  Curently thinking about changing to an alternative because I can't afford to waste any more time on it.  I work exclusively on my iMac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats' rough. FWIW, Deleting prefs did allow me to get back in and take advantage of the GPU (f that will help you get back to work). If I leave it as vanilla, it seems fine. But any layout tab customization seemed to break things all over again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, just tried that, still getting the same problems.  Ugh, never had any issues in the last 3 yrs with Ps until now.  Thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0