• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop "Save for Web (Legacy)" is crashing when I try to save animated GIFs in Catalina

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Title says it all. I'm not getting any error messages, Photoshop simply crashes when going to Export > Save for Web (Legacy)

I am on:
Mac 10.15.5

This is happening in BOTH Photoshop versions:
Photoshop CC 2019 v20.0.9
Photoshop CC 2020 v21.2.0

Edit: I've also tried Photoshop CC v19.1.8 - 2 different computers with completely separate and unshared preferences.

Troubleshooting:
• Repeatedly deleted the "Save for Web Prefs.psp" file and relaunched Photoshop hoping this would help.

• Tried to open from various folders and locations and save to various folders and locations.

• Tried it on both my Desktop and my Laptop.

• Tried both, Photoshop CC 2019 v20.0.9 and Photoshop CC 2020 v21.2.0 (and Photoshop CC v19.1.8)

The ability to save animated GIF is essential for me. I know of no other way to save frame timeline animated GIFs in Photoshop other than "Save for "Save for Web (Legacy)".

I hope to hear from someone. Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem. Make sure you are not saving to I-Cloud or the Adobe Cloud. Turns out all that was wrong with mine was that my cloud was full. I turned off saving on I-cloud and it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your reply! I actually never save to iCould or Adobe Cloud and always save locally or to external hard drives. I just saw there was a new Photoshop 2020 update since my initial post here, and I updated to it today however Save for Web (Legacy) still crashes when trying to save animated GIF files.

I have had the opportunity to test Photoshop 2020 Save for Web (Legacy) on a temp loner MacBook Pro laptop running Apple's Mojave OS and had no crashes. So with my limited testing it seems to be an issue with Photoshop on Catalina. I hope there's a solve for this soon.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm also experiencing this and was hoping that you may have a resolve for this. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Followed all tips provided to fix it but with no result!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Started happening to me yesterday on Photoshop 2022 version. I too was on Catalina at the time. It had been working fine up to that point. Initially tried dumping the Prefs (both via the "Reset Preferences on Quit" button in the General Tab and also manually from the Library > Preferences folder) to no avail. Had to update my OS (now on Big Sur, Monterey not approved to use at my company yet) to be able to update Photoshop to the 2023 version, but still getting the crash when exporting via the Save to Web (Legacy) to Animated GIF file format. Out of ideas what to try next so any help will be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just contacted Adobe Support and it ended up being an issue with the file itself. So hopefully resolved for me by re-creating the file from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was also having the same problem.  Not fixed, but a work around that worked for me.  In the 'Save for web' dialog box, click the 'preview' button, it will show up in a web tab.  Then right click - save as... make sure you add the .gif file extension in the naming box. Worked for me !  Good luck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, your sollution has saved me! 🙂 I have to export so many GIFs for my work, and lately Photoshop has been crashing EVERYTIME I try to export a GIF from a PSD. So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing the same problem for a long time. All my apps and software and operating systems are up to date. I used to be able to work around the issue by making sure I had LOTS of memory on my computer/scratch disk, and by clicking the "reset settings on quit" in photoshop preferences. But now non of that works. PS crashes as soon as I click "Save for web".

GIFs are also essential for me.  Hoping the hundreds of crash reports being sent to Adobe will get them to take notice....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines