Photoshop Recent Projects Access Question

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to only be able to access the adjustments I made on my photos before burning them into a TIF on my last ten images. Is this a limitation of Photoshop or can I still find them somewhere else? 

My workflow currently saves my photoshop adjusmtents as a TIF and places it next to the original file in my lightroom catalouge and coorspdonding folder where the files live. In Lightroom all the adjustments live in the catalouge and I seem to have forever access to them. But am I mistaken of having that same access to my photoshop files or is the "recent history" a real limitation for accessing and readjusting older projects? 

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop adjustments and Lightroom adjustments are mutually exclusive. You can have one or the other, but not both at the same time. You need to choose.

This has to do with how the applications work. Lightroom does not support layers at all. It is a parametric editor, which means that all adjustments are stored as text instructions. It can be saved to the file or to the Lightroom catalog - that's not important. What is important is that the file itself is not altered. To do that, Lightroom has to export a new file with these adjustments burned in, a copy.

When you add adjustments and layers in Photoshop, it will also include a flattened composite layer into the layer stack (for PSD you have to enable that in preferences; TIFF does it automatically). This flattened composite is what Lightroom reads. The layers themselves are ignored. And when you then add adjustments in Lightroom, they are adjustments to the flat composite, written as text instructions.

Multiple roundtripping between Lightroom and Photoshop can be a self-defeating excercise in frustration. It can be done, as long as you understand the mechanics, but I would recommend treating this as a one-way process: Lightroom > Photoshop > full stop.

EDIT: there are two ways to get around this: smart objects, or, if you just want to use the Lightroom sliders on a TIFF - the ACR filter in Photoshop. It will effectively do the very same thing, but accessible in Photoshop.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines