• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop reduces patterns to 1x1 pixel

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently noticed, that when you define a pattern from an area whose pixels are all the same color (for example a rectangle shape), the resulting pattern will be 1x1 instead of the actual size.

Is this by design? I assume this was implemented to reduce the filesize for the stored pixels, but this behavior is actually causing a problem in one of my plugins.

Said plugin is using DecoScripts to fill up the canvas with the pattern in a specific way, but the results are completely wrong of course as the pattern is 1x1px instead of for example 400x300px.

Is there any way to turn of this "compression"?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the option with one slightly modified pixel is not suitable?

You can try to create a 16-bit pattern, with a minimal pixel difference, so that 8-bit doesn't show any difference at all.

A more complex option is to edit the .pat file. But there is a "dark forest" : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply.

I also thought about the fix with the one changed pixel, but I felt like it's quite an ugly hack. However, the 16-bit/8-bit conversion trick you've mentioned might be an option.

At this point I'm only questioning if it's even worth implementing the fix.. maybe nobody will even use the function on a plain, mono-colored rectangle at all. Messing around with the .pat file sounds even more complex, so I'll discard this idea for now 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines