• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop resizes images automatically

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive resized many documents correctly for print and preview. I have this one particular art document that when I export my png or jpg at 2.5 inches x 2.5 inches and 300ppi. then reopen it in photoshop that it suddenly becomes 10.417 x 10.417 and 72ppi, The destination file im opening it has a canvas size of 11 x 17. When I drag the png on to the document it becomes huge. However if I open it in its own window and drag it to the project it sizes correctly. Why does it resize when dragging it from the file folder into the destination vs opening it in its own Photoshop window and dragging it from there?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound like a typical experience, could you please let us know the version of Photoshop and the Operating System you're working on?

Could you share some screenshots? Please have a look at Jeff's replies here and let us know if it helps: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_cs6_keeps_resizing_my_images_when_i...

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working inside Photoshop it will copy/paste pixels and that work as exected from your side. When using Place commands it will scale image in case that resolution of file which you are placing and document in Photoshop does not match. This is how Photoshop works and the only thing you can do is to pay attention on file which you are placing to have matching resolution to document in which you are placing file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop should place one's image in not a different image.  I have save my Camera's 8.2 MP into 6 jpeg files all the files have exactly the sames 8.2 MP pixels. The file are the same size. Each  File has a different print resolution.  All prints have the same 8.2Mpixels.  Each print is printed with a different size pixels size.  The prints have different physical size they all have the same 8.2MPixels image.   If I open a new document 30,000px by 20,000px at 600ppi. Then place the 6 Jpeg files in.  None of the smart Object layers created will have my 8.2MPixel image.  All the smart objects will have more pixels.  If I open a new document 30,000px by 20,000px at 6ppi. Then place the 6 Jpeg files in.  None of the smart Object layers created will have my 8.2MPixel image.  All the smart objects will have less pixels.   Photoshop place has an issue.  However, if all your files have the same print resolution you will not see it.

All six of my jpeg file have exactly the same  8.2MP Image Background layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used Export like Save for web the file was most likely saved without any Print resolution set. An image files Print resolution is meaningless on the web.   So when Photoshop was used to open the exported file Photoshop assign it 72ppi for Photoshop uses the images resolutions when a user uses some  unit size length, Photoshop needs to calculate the length in pixels. 10.417" At 72ppi is 750 pixels.   750pixels  at 300 ppi is 2.5".  Photoshop is a pixel editor an Image  size is a matrix of pixels an image is so many Pixels wide by so many pixels high.   Pixels have no size till some resolution is set. Print Resolution is Pixels size. 300 PPI  means an inch length has 300 pixels. a square inch is 300 pixel wide and 300 pixel high there are 90000 pixels in a square inch. Change the pixel size you change the print size.  No mater what the print size is the image size is the same X pixel wide y pixels height all image will have the same X:Y aspect ratio. The prints have the pixels  printed a different size.  Same image different size same aspect ratio

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines