• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Save as JPG action throws invalid file name error

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a workflow using Actions that has worked flawlessly for years but it has started throwing a weird error.

The action does the following:

1. Save the photo as Photoshop using the filename in a specific directory.
  2. Add a new, empty layer.
  3. Flatten the image.
  4. Save the photo as JPG, Quality 12, Matte: none, same directory as before

Could not save as "C:

\...\FILENAME.psd" because the file name was not valid."

I've tried resetting my preferences and restarting Photoshop but the error still happens.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020
This is a known bug in version 21.1
Either use a file not saved once (made via duplicate) or use a script instead of SaveAs in Actions, or roll back to the previous version of Photoshop, or wait for a new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, which version of Photoshop and your Operating system. What has changed between the working and non working state, a windows update, for instance?

Did you try to recreate it?

Do you have all rights for that folder?

Any strange character in the path, or is the path not too long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off you are not explainin your problem very well. You start with I save a Photoshop file, and at the bottom you say Filename.psd which is a propreitary PS file format. Then you say I save it as a JPG. 

And then you say Could not save as C:. That C: is a Windows, MS, Drive letter so correct you can't save a file as C:.

Then you type \...\filename.psd.

Please give us the Full Path and actual file name you are trying to use. Which would look like this.

C:\FolderName\SubFolderName(if there is one)\FileName.Extension

Also take a screen shot of the error and the dialog window you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answering the questions of PECourtejoie:

• Versions: Photoshop CC 21.1 (current) on Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit, build 14393
  • Changes in OS and apps between the working state (3 weeks ago) and the broken state: Adobe app updates and OS updates. (Considering rolling back to an earlier version of Photoshop at this point.)
  • I have re-recorded the action several times. I will try recreating the action next.
  • I have permissions to the folder. (ie c:\users\username\Pictures\Temporary Storage)
  • There are no special characters in the file name nor the path. (Sample source file: SFIT_20200213211558.nef, opened in Photoshop via Camera Raw)
  • The fully qualified path falls well under Windows' path and file segment limit of 260 characters.

Answering Just Shoot Me's questions:

Here's a screenshot of the error message and the action, as described in the Action window.

Capture.PNG

See above for sample file name and path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug in version 21.1
Either use a file not saved once (made via duplicate) or use a script instead of SaveAs in Actions, or roll back to the previous version of Photoshop, or wait for a new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back to 21.0.3 fixed the problem.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Volume Error - Network Error, Saving Action

btw Moderator please assign 'Actions and Scripting' label for this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem and some how can't reach anyone from adobe about his. Very anoying and even trying to save it as JPG or as doublicate it is giving me the same message. Very anoying and frustrating because I put a lot of work in editing this image and now I can't even save it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I'd try 21.2.1, as it lists actions fixes, and if it does not work, search or create a thread on the https://feedback.photoshop.com site, watched by Adobe staff. Make sure to provide as many relevant details as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines