• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop saved contents of one inactive window into active window, completely overwriting file.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe, 

While working with the brush tool on two floating window files, I use the eyedropper a lot by using the Alt-shortcut. Since a few updates, when I use the eyedropper on an inactive window, it suddenly makes that window active, causing me to manually have to switch back to my intended window. This in itself is annoying (I liked the previous versions, where the window doesn't become active, a lot better), but I can work with the issue without too much trouble. 

However, this back-and-forth switching now seemed to cause a glitch in what was considered my 'active window', and when I tried using the brush tool, it automatically switched back to my inactive window, as if it were the active one. I tried using the brush a couple times, but visual (graphics card) glitches (parts of my other file!) started to appear, and I decided to press Ctrl+S/save on all my active files, and do a Photoshop restart to prevent any further damage. 

However: while saving, Photoshop has apparently replaced the contents of my inactive window with those of the active one! I now have two completely identical files, except for the file's name! I lost all contents of one file, and am unable to recover any previous version. Seeing as this was client work, I am quite afraid that this might happen again in the future. 

I'd love to know if this issue is known to you and/or if you might have a fix so that this will not happen again in the future.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that doesn't happen. But I'm with you, the visual distinction between active and inactive window is far too subtle and you really have to look hard. Often I click on it one extra time just to be sure it's the right one. I have very nearly done the same thing myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry, but - did you read the post correctly? I now have two identical files, lost all the contents of one, how can you simply state 'No, that doesn't happen'? How else would all my layers have suddenly appeared inside a new file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines