• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop saves multiple files instead of writing over the original?

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since one of the recent updates, Photoshop has been saving copies of my files. For example when I go to save my file "picture.psd" in Photoshop, Photoshop saves it as "picture 1.psd". When I make changes and save again, it saves it as "picture 2.psd". I'm not saving "as", I'm just saving. I want it to save over the original.

I've tried all of the options under "file handling" but it keeps doing it. I can't seem to find the option for this anywhere else in preferences. Does anyone know how to turn this off? 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issue, and it's been this way for a few months. Worked on a file tonight for 21 minutes. In that time it saved 13 versions of the same .psd file!!! I created another inquiry here regarding the issue but none of those proposed solutions worked. Would love to know if anyone has any ideas how to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note, PS also now loads all the .psd files to the iCloud on my MacBook Air. As soon as I've saved this file in PS it gets uploaded to iCloud and I think that has something to do with the issue. I can't open the file from PS. I have to go to Mac>Finder> right click+open with... instead. That downloads the file and then opens in PS. Adobe support forum said it's Apple. Talked to Apple about it and they say it's Adobe. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any solution to this i also have this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I discovered that I had set my PS files to be saved on our home server which my computer access remotely, so because of permissions settings PS couldn't overwrite any of the original files, so when I went to save it had to make a new version. Maybe see where you set your files to be saved and check your permission settings. Best of luck to you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Workaround: remove the unnecessary dribbly dweeb at the end of file name in the name field located at the top of the page. I guess someone in the chain of command decided this would be a nice dribbly dweeb thing to do, as a means to go back to previous files and say.... hey that looks like a clodhopping whopper of a doozy. Or say, hmm I should have stuck with that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines