• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Saving copy not saving over jpg file [ 19 Feb 2020 ] LOCKED

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are you going to fix this bug? It's so annoying. There are thousands of people reporting this issue. It seems like a simple fix. 

Note from moderator:

This is the bug that was caused by a change in macOS that Adobe has since fixed.

• In 22.4.1 Adobe introduced Save a Copy 
  • In 22.4.2 Adobe included the ability to revert to the legacy behavior in preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options

This post is now locked since this issue is solved. You can add to this merged thread to comment:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-ph...

See this help page for details and please start a new thread if you need further assistance:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

This works just fine for me. If I open up a JPEG and then write on it and press Command + S to Save, it saves over my JPEG.

However, if you ADD A NEW LAYER, then it will try to save it as a New Photoshop file because JPEGs dont have layers.
If you do add layers, and you want to save over it, you can flatten the image first by going to Layer> Flatten Image and then press save and it will save over the JPEG.

Hope that helps!
cheers!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am aware of your option but it is not acceptable from a work flow standpoint. If I flatten my artwork, then forget to undo before I save, I will no longer have access to my layered ps file. It's like Adobe is taking a huge step back to the 1990s. I don’t want to flatten my artwork to save a jpg. I want to save a copy as a jpg. And then, if I need to edit my ps file, I want to save OVER that jpg, not create a new copy every time. That is where the problem lies. Please fix this. It’s really annoying. It has greatly affected my work flow. 

This is something that changed with the most recent update. I’ve been using PS and all Adobe products since the early 90s. This is something that has changed with the most recent update or two. It needs to be escalated to the programming team and fixed. Many people are having problems with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should always save your layers. So you should do a file "Save As" to save the .psd, and then to export the JPEG you simply choose File>Export>Save for Web.

your original post was "Saving copy not saving over jpg file" - so either you flatten your image and save over the JPEG file, or you save the layers, and Export a JPEG file to use on the web or where you see fit.

This is all a normal practice and seems to be working just fine!

HAPPY 30th BELATED BIRTHDAY PHOTOSHOP!

hope this helps.

cheers.
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a terrible glitch in Photoshop and should be changed. The way you are describing saving over a jpeg is very slow. If you have a large layered file it could take a lot of time to flatten it. Then you have to undo that to keep working.  There is definitely a risk that people would forget to undo the making the file flat and save a flat .psd file.  Why wouldn't they just go back to the way it was?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an acceptable solution. I've used PS since version 1.0 and this feel like something new to me. I create complex photoshop documents with many layers and adjustments. From that master file I save out the different formats I may need.. JPG PNG etc... 

Currently when doing this, for the first save, it will work as expected... master doc is just fine and a jpeg is saved. On the second attempt though, and there is always a second attempt, generally many many updates to files... Photoshop asks me "do you want to save over this file" yes, yes I do... and then the file is saved. Problem is, it DOES NOT save over the file, so that in itself is a bug... what it does is add COPY to the file name and saves a new file. This is not good. 

Now Photoshop is tasking me to go and delete my original jpeg file and then rename the copy to match the original, major pain. 

No I dont want to export, I want to save, I've done it for years, why change and add more steps to what was never broken in the first place.

I really think many developers have lost their way, more concerned with "getting their feature in" than actually making the product the best it can be... but that's just MO. 

I expect more from Adobe. 

And call me crazy but is there no spell check in here??? I had to past my copy into word to double check it... Wow it really is the 90's all over again. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was just trying to help. If you have been using Photoshop since v1, (ive been using it since '93) you know that things change, they add new ways of doing things, etc. Personally I think Export for Web is quicker, it remembers my last setting as a JPEG versus the Save as and having to select "JPEG" from the format menu.

I can understand your issue. I have tried again and again to replicate it, and can't seem to. But yes I can see if replace image made a copy that would sure be annoying. Unfortunately I don't work for Adobe, and have no control over what they fix, however - it looks like this issue has been going on a long time. So perhaps call it a work around until it gets fixed. Another was talking about linking a JPEG into InDesign. Years ago, you would have to save over it again and again. But the new way would just be to Place the PSD into InDesign. Then I can do whatever I want, and after Pressing Command+S, one click on the link and its updated. Much faster than saving over a file. It's how I would work. But it was just a suggestion to try to help solve the issue with what I think it a better, faster, work-around. Hope they fix it for you soon.

cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not following what's going wrong.
Are you able to choose 'Save As'. In the dialog box that appears, there should be a 'Save: As a Copy' checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but when I do that, even if I save as or save a copy and name it the same thing as the existing jpg file, it makes a copy and won't allow me to save OVER the existing jpg which I am trying to update. Thus creating multiple versions. Hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how things work for me. Say I have a PSD file that I want to save as a new file:

- File > Save As - then click As a Copy
My File name changes to have 'copy' added to the end of the name.

- File > Save As - then chage the type to JPEG
The Save options including As a Copy are locked. The image will be saved as a copy as the JPEG won't support the layers currently in the PSD.
If I already have a JPEG and I choose the same name, I will get a dialogue box saying the file already exists and "Do you want to replace it?". If I click 'Yes', it overwrites / saves over the existing jpg. The PSD remains open in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is exactly how it works for me. I'm starting to wonder if it is a PC vs MAC issue? It seems to be working just fine for me too on my MAC.

Thanks for chiming in.

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions Mark. I think the title 'Adobe Community Professional' has possibly led some people to think you work for Adobe and aren't just a regular customer.

For everyone who has been experiencing this issue for years and fed back to Adobe - to no avail - frustrations are running high. So I was thinking of changing tact on this. This forum indicates the problem is not confined to a couple of unlucky users. As a MacBook Pro user I know it's not a Mac vs PC issue.

As a community we've been unable to reach a satisfactory solution ourselves so I'm thinking about contacting Adobe to reduce the cost of the package until they resolve the issue and then I'll be happy to pay the current price again. It seems only fair that a product that isn't working sufficiently shouldn't cost the same as one that does.

I'd be interested to hear from those who are also experiencing this issue and losing time due to it - has anyone already asked for a reduction in their subscription cost due to this?

Kirsten 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Kirsten. 

You are welcome Kirsten. Yes, I am an Adobe Community Professional. We help in the forums, and we along with Adobe employees are usually your TA's helping out at Adobe MAX. I am also an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Creative Educator, and I have spoken at the Adobe Learning Summit, on the Adobe Exchange and at Adobe Tech Tuesdays, and I have created Instructional Videos for the Adobe Animate Team. However, I have never been an employee. I have been paid or received perks in liu of my work, but I am not an employee, and I am not paid to help here. I wish I was I would love to be full-time at Adobe. 

The forums are a place where you can get help from the community, and us ACP's. There is a link to make software suggestions somewhere else. But this is just for help - the programmers and Photoshop team I reckon seldom ever come in here.

So i created a little video. Low res so it would upload fast. You can see me using one of my suggestions (save for Web) and that I am not really having this issue everyone mentions. So now its even more bizarre. i am able to save over and replace a JPEG no problem.

https://youtu.be/qmEFrAsPTd8

thanks for your note.

Cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the video, Mark.  You have offered a solution that seems to work. 

It is just so frustrating to have JPG's and PNG's that when the dialogue box pops up and says "overwrite current file" and that box is checked, that it doesn't!  

I work with hundreds of files a day and I have to go in and delete the first file and then take the word "copy" off of the second file...... so dumb.

Why is "save for web" any different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

The problem was (finally!!!!) solved in version 22.4, together with the fix of preset sync, another big problem for me.

About the save as problem, now there is a submenu for that. I really miss the old way, but at least things are back to normal.

Cheers

Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome. And I am glad you found the video handy, and that it offered you a solution.

I guess it was different since it seemed to have been a bug. Now I would be curious to which way you will use going forward!

Cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently not such an easy fix. I've been trying to get this fixed too, they told me that with the latest update this problem would be solved. This morning I had an update and guess what... It still wasn't fixed! 😞 

When will this be solved, I'm getting pretty desperate. My whole workflow suffers from this annoying bug! Please Adobe, do something about this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a terrible problem, and no one is taking it seriously. I am having the same problem with the photoshop adding "copy" to the name everytime I edit a photo. Do you understand how many photos I have in a 96 page magazine? If I change the size, convert to cmyk, tweak saturation, etc., I have to go change the name to EVERY SINGLE FILE back to the original.

Can't you get this fixed? I thought you were all wizards over there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does no one understand that this is an annoying bug!! As a graphic designer I manipulate large photoshop files (.psb) and then save out a jpg that goes into InDesign. Nudging around layers to get it just right. I save as and SAVE OVER the same file that is linked in Indesign. Having to save multipl copies and copies and re-link each time is rediculous and is a BUG. Same thing happens with .tiff files. PLEASE FIX THIS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds frustrating. Maybe you can try Placing the Photoshop file (.psd) into InDesign, then when you update the Photoshop file and save it should update the InDesign file too.

Hope that helps.

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you suggest is not the way it should work. This is (again) a work-around and I don't want that. 

I just want it to work like it used to before and not unnecessary increase/complex my work-flow!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand, but actually the way I suggest is much faster.

I can either open my PSD and make changes, and then export the file, navigate to where it should be saved, name it, and then overwrite the file. Then you have to go in to InDesign and update the change.... as opposed to opening your PSD, making changes, and clicking save. 

This works in Character Animator, Animate, Captvate, Premiere, After Effects, InDesign....just makes work easier, and its a big benefit of using Adobe apps.

enjoy the day.

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand (and appreciate) your tip, but this isn't helpful in my case. If I work like you say, then I would have to implement psd files. But with the large Indesign documents I work with, that's not an option. The documents would become much too heavy to handle...

So, again, Adobe should just fix the damn bug, excuse my French 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with you Mark? Are you really a consultant? You're obviously not a designer either. Let's break this down in simple "consultant start-up" language. WE DO NOT WANT TO TAKE 3-4 STEPS TO DO WHAT WAS RECENTLY A SINGLE STEP PROCESS!!! It's called SAVING F*ing TIME!. Does that compute??? Why don't you try to earn a medal and tell your Adobe comrads to fix the damn problem instead of telling everyone to take 3 left turns instead of the single right turn they're used to. I've been using photoshop for over 20 yrs. You seem to have no clue right now how much of a setback this is especialy for high quantity design projects. Just get a clue man and stop playing politics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello The Boy Genius,

I'm sorry to see you are having a bad day. Yeah I have a lot wrong with me. Unfortunately I don't work for Adobe, and I'm not paid to be here. I'm just trying to help. Definitley no medals, and I hate politics.
I offered SUGGESTIONS, almost a year ago. So I guess I was hoping perhaps they can use my work around (Suggestions), actually fewer steps (Place PSD, make updates as needed, Presss SAVE, and BOOM!) or trying File>Export>SaveForWeb to save and replace the JPEG. Both are quicker. Could even be set up as an ACTION.

So, I gave options...hoping it might help,  since from what I am hearing... what you WANT to DO is NOT working?  Is that Right? So, Rather then watch someone bang their head against the door, I thought I would try to open it up.

But no worries!  I can keep it closed for you. Might I suggest wearing a helmet?

That's great you have been using Photoshop so long. Me too (since '93).  And I have been teaching it over 20 years, at Adobe Authorized Training Centers and numerous Fortune 500 companies like Sony, Disney, Universal Music, Fox Studios, Warner Bros, along with numerous other Adobe applications.  I work on a variety of digital projects, not so much with InDesign, mostly digital, and motion.  Although I did a lot with QuarkXpress back in the day before InDesign was around, using it to design and layout text for Multimedia projects for McGraw-Hill, conjunction with their books. When using InDesign, Placing a PSD worked really great for me. 

I have tested this issue over and over, and I am not able to replicate it. I am able to save over JPEGS and replace them without getting a copy. I'm on a MAC, not sure if that makes the difference.

Hope it gets fixed soon!

cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines